Beginners book on J2EE

Florian Lindner

Hello,
I'm looking for a book to learn J2EE. I have some experience with the Zope
application server and PHP programming.
The book should describe all steps to build a web application (including
basic server configuration and deployment).
It should focus on an application server which is free and runs under Linux,
preferrably JBoss.
The chapters should be build on top of each other.
Most topics of J2EE should be covered (JSP, Servlets, databases, maybe JSF).
I'dont need a XML or Java Tutorial.
What book in English or German language could you recommend?

Thanks,
Florian

Sudsy

Florian said:
Hello,
I'm looking for a book to learn J2EE. I have some experience with the Zope
application server and PHP programming.
The book should describe all steps to build a web application (including
basic server configuration and deployment).
It should focus on an application server which is free and runs under Linux,
preferrably JBoss.

So why not surf over to <http://www.jboss.org> and see what they have to
offer? You might have to create an account and pay for the privilege but
it's always better to straight to the source, no?

Tom Dyess

I'm still in the process of learning Java and J2EE myself. If you are coming
from another programming language that you have developed medium to large
scoped projects on, I would suggest "Thinking in Java" and the two "Core
Java" books from sun to learn the "in's and out's" of the language. As far
as ALL useful J2EE research I've found, it's been on the web. I'm creating a
Java space on my Oracle based website to include all the things I've found
useful and interesting on my trek. I'm always adding new links that I like
or have tried to accomplish some or another task. Here's the link for the
Java space:

http://www.oraclepower.com/WebPortal/webportal?aid=sc&cat_id=1187

(ps: I know, shameless plug, but 1) I gotta get better at promotion, and 2)
It will probably help the guy.

Tom Dyess
OraclePower.com