    Hi,
    I want to start learning Javascript. Can anyone please recommend a good
    book for a beginner.Thanks

    Cyberdog, Dec 9, 2003

  2. JRS: In article <>, seen in
    news:comp.lang.javascript, Cyberdog <> posted at
    Tue, 9 Dec 2003 14:30:33 :-

    >I want to start learning Javascript. Can anyone please recommend a good
    >book for a beginner.Thanks

    Read the FAQ, posted every Wednesday.

    --
    © John Stockton, Surrey, UK. ???@merlyn.demon.co.uk Turnpike v4.00 MIME. ©
    Check boilerplate spelling -- error is a public sign of incompetence.

    Dr John Stockton, Dec 9, 2003

  3. Cyberdog wrote:

    > I want to start learning Javascript. Can anyone please recommend a good
    > book for a beginner.Thanks

    See the FAQ and the newsgroup.

    PointedEars, who never required a JavaScript *book*

    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn, Dec 10, 2003
  4. Cyberdog

    Cyberdog Guest

    On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 14:30:33 +0000, Cyberdog <>
    wrote:

    >Hi,
    >I want to start learning Javascript. Can anyone please recommend a good
    >book for a beginner.Thanks

    Thanks for the help.

    Cyberdog, Dec 11, 2003
  5. Cyberdog

    Brian Guest

    "Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn" <> wrote in message
    > Cyberdog wrote:
    >
    > > I want to start learning Javascript. Can anyone please recommend a good
    > > book for a beginner.Thanks

    > See the FAQ and the newsgroup.
    >

    > PointedEars, who never required a JavaScript *book*

    Not many people _require_ a book for javascript, but having a reference on
    your desk is a heck of a lot better than online references, in my opinion.
    Javascript is an easy language, but I easily forget some syntax... I get it
    confused with the many other languages and interfaces I use on a daily
    basis.

    Though PointedEars makes it seem like a JavaScript book is not necessary...
    I recommend having one around if you are going to do a lot of JS
    programming...

    I really like the JavaScript Bible, which has an _excelent_ DOM and JS
    reference... light on the how-to, heavy on the details.

    Brian

    Brian, Dec 11, 2003
  6. Brian wrote:

    > "Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn" <> wrote in message

    Please shorten your attribution, no one needs the message ID of the
    posting you are replying to because it is already in the headers of
    your postings and the message ID of your posting is in the headers
    of the postings of the people who reply to yours. Additionally,
    that hyperfluous information makes your attribution more than one
    line which makes following a discussion with some quoting levels
    worse (if all people would do what you do.)

    Besides, enable your automatic linebreak function and set it to max.
    80 characters per line (72 to 76 is recommended). Anything else is
    against Internet/Usenet standards.

    You will then encounter the problem, that your client software
    not only line-breaks quotes but actually breaks them. There are
    OE-Tools and OE-Quotefix who help you avoiding that.

    Or you could just switch to a client software not so badly flawed,
    there are plenty of them out there.

    Now you only need to fix that e-mail address fake (if that would
    have been correct, I would have mailed you the above instead of
    posting off-topic): <http://www.interhack.net/pubs/munging-harmful/>

    Then your postings are at least *technically* correct and will
    therefore be read by me in the future until further notice.

    >> Cyberdog wrote:
    >>> I want to start learning Javascript. Can anyone please recommend
    >>> a good book for a beginner.Thanks

    >> See the FAQ and the newsgroup.
    >>
    >> PointedEars, who never required a JavaScript *book*

    > Not many people _require_ a book for javascript, but having a
    > reference on your desk is a heck of a lot better than online
    > references, in my opinion.

    Well, you simply misread me.

    *Emphasizing* the word `book' was intentional. I do not recommend
    against using references, instead I recommend to use them where you
    can and before you ask. However, I do recommend against JavaScript
    *books* because most of them are badly written (containing outdated
    or simply wrong information) and the book(s?) that are left (you see,
    there is only *one* of the hundreds of books out there mentioned in
    the FAQ that obviously can be recommended) then both require more time
    on the average to find what you are looking for, and they become easily
    outdated anyway.

    I understand that people who are used to books would prefer such.
    Advantages and disadvantages of those must be weighed properly, though.

    > Though PointedEars makes it seem like a JavaScript book is not
    > necessary... I recommend having one around if you are going to do a
    > lot of JS programming...

    If you do (a lot of) JavaScript programming(, like me), you are in
    front of the screen anyway and have your Web browser running all the
    time. Using your browser and clicking links in index documents is
    faster and easier that search the index of a book and turn to the
    specified page. If you then care for costs of being online like me,
    install and configure a local webserver (which has become quite easy
    to do these days, and you would be glad to have such a software for
    testing purposes, too) and download the specifications.

    I will always prefer my http://localhost/js/ (local copy of the
    JavaScript 1.5 Guide) and sorts above *any* JavaScript book.

    PointedEars

    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn, Dec 11, 2003
  7. (Canceled my other followup, consider it obsolete.)

    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn, Dec 11, 2003
  8. Cyberdog

    Brian Guest

    > Now you only need to fix that e-mail address fake (if that would
    > have been correct, I would have mailed you the above instead of
    > posting off-topic): <http://www.interhack.net/pubs/munging-harmful/>

    After reading this article, I must say, I disagree that it is of much harm.
    I will continue to mung my address.

    Brian, Dec 11, 2003