Beginning Python

abhiee

Hello , I have just begun learning python...and I'm loving it...Just
wanted to ask you that how much time would it take me to learn python
completely and which languages should i learn alongwith python to be a
good professional programmer?...Now i only know C....
thanx in advance!

kyosohma

Hello , I have just begun learning python...and I'm loving it...Just
wanted to ask you that how much time would it take me to learn python
completely and which languages should i learn alongwith python to be a
good professional programmer?...Now i only know C....
thanx in advance!

I think a more accurate question would be "how long does it take to
learn python so I don't have to look stuff up constantly". Knowing any
language completely is nigh impossible unless you designed it
yourself. However, I must say that learning Python so that you can
just start programming well without always going for help is quite
easy. I would think it would take 1-3 months depending on your ability
to suck in information and the amount of time you actually program.

As I understand it, the top languages are still Java and C++, with
COBOL being a major player in insurance/business environments. I would
recommend pretty much any web language as more and more is heading
towards the online world. Thus, Java/Javascript, PHP, Perl, CSS, CGI,
etc are good to know.

Check out this interesting graph on computer language trends:
http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~flab/languages.html

Mike

Michael Bentley

Hello , I have just begun learning python...and I'm loving it...Just
wanted to ask you that how much time would it take me to learn python
completely and which languages should i learn alongwith python to be a
good professional programmer?...Now i only know C....
thanx in advance!

How long is a piece of rope?

Seriously, there is no way for anyone to predict how long it will
take you to learn something. In this case, that something (Python)
is a moving target -- there are a few things I use daily that weren't
even part of the language when I started.

I do believe that it takes about three years to get reasonably
competent at anything. And about ten years to get really good at it.
And probably another ten years to be a master (I'm only guessing
though -- because I haven't been doing anything for twenty years
yet). Of course, by my metrics I guess even Guido wouldn't be a
master at Python so perhaps I'm full of crap :)

Hope this helps,
Michael

kaens

Hello , I have just begun learning python...and I'm loving it...Just
wanted to ask you that how much time would it take me to learn python
completely and which languages should i learn alongwith python to be a
good professional programmer?...Now i only know C....
thanx in advance!

Speaking for myself - I've been messing around with various
programming languages most of my life (I'm 21, young...). I've done a
lot of work in C++, and a little bit in a whole lot of other
languages.

It took me around 6 hours to learn enough python to write a
non-trivial app with it. I've been working with python for a little
more than a month, and I'm starting to feel like I know the language
decently - I don't have to look stuff up as much - but I'm still
learning, as there's a lot to learn.

As for how long it takes to become a professional programmer using
python, I guess that depends on your definition of professional. I do
freelance work, and I'm currently working on a python project - and I
have relatively little experience with python, if you measure that in
time.

Keep a copy of the official docs handy, and always review your options
for solving a particular problem and you should catch on pretty well
in a relatively short amount of time.

janislaw

Hello , I have just begun learning python...and I'm loving it...Just
wanted to ask you that how much time would it take me to learn python
completely and which languages should i learn alongwith python to be a
good professional programmer?...Now i only know C....
thanx in advance!

Then Lisp is a must-know to you.