Benchmarks

s0suk3

The task: Write a program that reads a set of words from standard
input and prints the number of distinct words.

I came across a website that listed a few programs to accomplish this
task: http://unthought.net/c++/c_vs_c++.html (ignore all the language
flaming :), and thought that all of them did unnecessary operations,
so I wrote my own. But for some reason, my version turned out slower
that ALL of the versions in the website, even though it seems to
perform less operations (yes, I benchmarked them on my own computer).

According to the website, the slowest version is:

#include <set>
#include <string>
#include <iostream>

int main(int argc, char **argv)
{
// Declare and Initialize some variables
std::string word;
std::set<std::string> wordcount;
// Read words and insert in rb-tree
while (std::cin >> word) wordcount.insert(word);
// Print the result
std::cout << "Words: " << wordcount.size() << std::endl;
return 0;
}

My version is about 12 times slower than that. It uses lower-level
constructs. Here it is:

#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <string.h>
#include <ctype.h>

struct SetNode
{
char *word;
struct SetNode *next;
};

// An unorderd set of words
//
static struct SetNode *gSet = 0;
static int gSetSize = 0;

#define kInitWordSize 32

// Returns a word read from stdin. The returned pointer must be
// deallocated with free().
//
static char *
ReadOneWord(void)
{
int ch = getchar();

while (ch != EOF && isspace(ch))
ch = getchar();
if (ch == EOF)
return 0;

char *word = (char *) malloc(kInitWordSize);
if (!word)
return 0;

int size = kInitWordSize;
int i = 0;

while (ch != EOF && !isspace(ch)) {
if (i >= size) {
size *= 2;

char *newWord = (char *) realloc(word, size);
if (!newWord) {
free(word);
return 0;
}
word = newWord;
}

word[i++] = ch;
ch = getchar();
}

if (i >= size) {
size *= 2;

char *newWord = (char *) realloc(word, size);
if (!newWord) {
free(word);
return 0;
}
word = newWord;
}
word = '\0';

return word;
}

// Inserts a word into the set if it isn't in the set.
// The passed string is expected to have been allocated with
// a memory allocation function, and it should be considered
// lost after passed to this function.
//
static void
InsertWord(char *aWord)
{
struct SetNode *node;

for (node = gSet; node; node = node->next) {
if (strcmp(node->word, aWord) == 0) {
free(aWord);
return;

node = (struct SetNode *) malloc(sizeof(struct SetNode));
if (!node) {
free(aWord);
return;
}

node->word = aWord;
node->next = gSet;
gSet = node;
++gSetSize;
}

static void
DeleteSet(void)
{
struct SetNode *node = gSet;
struct SetNode *temp;

while (node) {
temp = node;
node = node->next;
free(temp->word);
free(temp);
}

gSet = 0;
gSetSize = 0;
}

int
main(void)
{
char *word;

while ((word = ReadOneWord()))
InsertWord(word);

printf("Words: %d\n", gSetSize);

// Skip cleanup for now...
//DeleteSet();
}

Any ideas as to what causes the big slowdown?

Sebastian

Kai-Uwe Bux

[...]

This is a linear list.

// An unorderd set of words
//
[...]

Here, you do a linear search.

std::set<> maintains a (balanced) tree internally and therefore does fewer
comparisons per word (logarithmic vs. linear).

[...]

Choice of a sub-optimal data structure.

Best

Kai-Uwe Bux

Keith Thompson

[...]

[snip]
// Inserts a word into the set if it isn't in the set.
// The passed string is expected to have been allocated with
// a memory allocation function, and it should be considered
// lost after passed to this function.
//
static void
InsertWord(char *aWord)
{
struct SetNode *node;

for (node = gSet; node; node = node->next) {
if (strcmp(node->word, aWord) == 0) {
free(aWord);
return;

You represent your set of words as a linked list. You compare each
new word to every word already in the set. The C++ solution uses a
std::set which, if I recall correctly, can do searches and insertions
in O(n log n).

If you re-write this to use a balanced binary tree, such as an AVL
tree, you should get performance similar to the C++ version.
node = (struct SetNode *) malloc(sizeof(struct SetNode));

Not incorrect, but
node = malloc(sizeof *node);
would be better.
if (!node) {
free(aWord);
return;
}

And if malloc fails, you quietly return without doing anything to
handle the error or report it to the user.

[...]

Longjun

[...]

Noticed that you've implemented your own mechanism of scanning words
from standard input and insert a new elements in your "sets". I don't
know why you implement it by yourself. Are you clear the principle of
the class cin/cout and set? Are you sure that your own function have a
better performance to the standard one?
I'm interested with how to test your application performance. Can you
tell me? I suggest you compare the performance difference between your
function between the standard one step by step.

Thanks

Juha Nieminen

Keith said:
You represent your set of words as a linked list. You compare each
new word to every word already in the set. The C++ solution uses a
std::set which, if I recall correctly, can do searches and insertions
in O(n log n).

That would be worse than linear-time, and is of course false.

You meant: O(lg n).

Juha Nieminen

Any ideas as to what causes the big slowdown?

Why do you expect that searching a linked list could be even close to
the speed of searching a balanced binary tree?

[...]

So, since your version uses "lower-level constructs" you assume
it would be automatically faster?

Well, in this case it did seem to have a couple of advantages, like
for example, InsertWord() is given a pointer directly to the malloc()-
allocated string, which it simply copies into the .word member of the
struct; it doesn't need to allocate new memory and copy the string
from one place to the other, whereas std::set::insert() does need to
do make a copy.

Also, I'm not sure, but is the set's destructor invoked when main()
goes out of scope (causing memory cleanup)? (Currently the other
version has the DeleteSet() call commented-out.)

But, as others have pointed out, it's clear that the reason for the
difference in performance is the searching mechanism.

Sebastian

Pawel Dziepak

Keith Thompson

Juha Nieminen said:
That would be worse than linear-time, and is of course false.

You meant: O(lg n).

Oops, you're correct of course; thanks for the correction.

Actually I meant O(log n), but it's the same thing.

Keith Thompson

Longjun said:
[...]

This discussion is cross-posted to comp.lang.c and comp.lang.c++. His
solution is written in C, which doesn't have sets built into the
standard library.

But certainly the equivalent functionality could be written in C.

user923005

The task: Write a program that reads a set of words from standard
input and prints the number of distinct words.
[snip]

I am surprised chuck has not chimed in here.
A hash table is *ideal* for this.

P.S. to those analyzing performance...
Since we have to examine every word in the list, the performance of
the algorithm *cannot* be faster than O(n).
The hash table solution is O(n).

Using a btree, skiplist, avltree, etc. will be O(n log n) because:
For each word, we must collect it.
For this word, we must check for duplicity. With a hash table the
check is O(1). With a logarithmic search structure, the check is
O(log n). (There is a multiplicative constant less than 1, but that
does not alter the O(log n) behavior.
Hence: O(log n) * O(n) = O(n log n) for most ordered list variants.

There is another structure that would be competitive. I guess that a
ternary search tree might beat a hash table just because of the
excellence in memory access pattern. At least for lists of less than
a million items (and it would be hard to come up with more than a
million correctly spelled real words).
http://www.cs.princeton.edu/~rs/strings/

user923005

  You would have hard time proving that.

Cuckoo hashing has guaranteed O(1) lookup and delete and amortized
O(1) insert.

My solution would also do the counting at insert time (IOW, the hash
insert function will return 0 if the item is already in the table and
return 1 if the item was inserted).
In that way, there is no need to scan the table and you can make it as
large as you like.

IOW:

unsigned long long count = 0;

while (item = fgets(string, sizeof string, stdin))
count += cuckoo_hash_insert(item);

Paul Hsieh

The task: Write a program that reads a set of words from standard
input and prints the number of distinct words. [snip]

[...] Using a btree, skiplist, avltree, etc. will be O(n log n) because: [...]

hash table      - O(log n)
comparison tree - O((log n)^2)
radix trees     - O(log n)

[etc]

I don't have any idea what anyone here is talking about. This is
clearly a "trie" problem. The performance is O(n), where n is the
length of the input (in characters). If your performance is any
different from that your implementation is just wrong. Here is my
solution, which is simpler/shorter than anything given so far or on
that website:

#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <string.h>

struct trieNode {
int canTerminateHere;
struct trieNode * letter[26];
};

static int * insertTrie (struct trieNode * tn, const char * w) {
if ('\0' == *w) return &tn->canTerminateHere;
if (NULL == tn->letter[*w-'a']) {
if (NULL == (tn->letter[*w-'a'] = (struct trieNode *) calloc
(1, sizeof (struct trieNode)))) return NULL;
}
return insertTrie (tn->letter[*w-'a'], w+1);
}

int main () {
struct trieNode start = {0};
char buff[2048], *s, *t;
int count = 0, *ret;
while (buff == fgets (buff, 2048, stdin)) {
for (t = buff; *t;) {
s = t + strspn (t, "abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz");
if (s != t) {
char c = *s;
*s = '\0';
if (NULL == (ret = insertTrie (&start, t))) exit (-1);
*s = c;
count += 1 ^ *ret;
*ret = 1;
}
t = s + strcspn (s, "abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz");
printf ("Count: %d\n", count);
return 0;
}

This makes the assumption that all inputs are continguous words in
lines no longer than 2048 characters separated by white space or line
feeds or whatever. It also assumes that you have enough memory to
hold all the words input, at a rate of (26 * sizeof (void *) + sizeof
(int)) * (size of the dictionary of the input in characters), roughly
speaking. The program doesn't clean up after itself, but I don't
think that was in the requirements.

As for the *real* performance of this thing, it will come down to the
calloc() speed. I could waste a lot more lines of code to massively
improve the performance here. It might be worth it if, say, the
benchmark were trying to measure performance per line of code. So the
score would be, say, lines of code times time taken to output the
correct count or something, and it would then probably be worth it to
implement a calloc pooler (it would double the size at least, but
probably make the performance at least 3 times higher, if the words
had a high enough uniqueness rate).

Jerry Coffin

[email protected] says... said:
Just as a note, the common claim that hash table are O(1) per
access whereas search trees are O(log n) per access is
misleading, and is arrived at by an apples and oranges
comparison. The number of probes in a hash table is O(1) whereas
the number of probes in a search tree is O(log n). However the
cost of computing the hash code for independent keys is O(m)
where m is the average key length, which is necessarily greater
than log2(n). In comparison based trees the cost of the
comparison is O(m), i.e., the probe cost is O(m). In radix based
trees the probe cost is O(1). If O(m) = O(n) the execution costs
per probe (ignoring access issues) are:

Keeping in mind, however, that m and n will usually be quite a bit
difference, so any similarity between O(m) and O(n) is purely
coincidental. In reality, the performance of hash tables tends to be
rather different in general than the performance of tree-based systems
(radix or comparison).
hash table - O(log n)
comparison tree - O((log n)^2)
radix trees - O(log n)

That is, hash tables and radix trees have the same order of
performance with comparison trees a distant third.

Note, however, that there are factors that don't show up in a big-O
comparison that can still be quite substantial, especially for
collectiosn of reasonble sizes. For one obvious one, consider the common
case (like this one) where the keys are strings. Hashing the string
requires looking at the whole string, but comparing two strings will
often look at _far_ fewer -- for the first few probes, it'll typically
only involve looking at one or two characters.

From a theoretical viewpoint, this effect is negligible -- but given the
number of words in a typical vocabulary, it can be quite substantial.

Nick Keighley

[...]

the above uses an rb tree (or equivalent) in the set class

My version is about 12 times slower than that. It uses lower-level
constructs. Here it is:

[snip version using linear search]
Any ideas as to what causes the big slowdown?

this is a very important lesson. Print it out in big letters
and post it on your wall.

CAREFUL ALGORITH SELECTION CAN CREAM MICRO-OPTIMISATION

I may get this printed on a tee shirt

CBFalconer

Juha said:
Why do you expect that searching a linked list could be even
close to the speed of searching a balanced binary tree?

Which is O(log N), as compared to O(N). However a hashtable is
even faster, being O(1) for suitable organization.

F'ups set to c.l.c. only.

CBFalconer

user923005 said:
The task: Write a program that reads a set of words from
standard input and prints the number of distinct words.

[snip]

I am surprised chuck has not chimed in here.
A hash table is *ideal* for this.

I just did, a few minutes ago. Been having problems with the
news-server.

CBFalconer

Richard said:
.... snip ...

Just as a note, the common claim that hash table are O(1) per
access whereas search trees are O(log n) per access is
misleading, and is arrived at by an apples and oranges
comparison. The number of probes in a hash table is O(1) whereas
the number of probes in a search tree is O(log n). However the
cost of computing the hash code for independent keys is O(m)
where m is the average key length, which is necessarily greater
than log2(n). In comparison based trees the cost of the
comparison is O(m), i.e., the probe cost is O(m). In radix based
trees the probe cost is O(1). If O(m) = O(n) the execution costs
per probe (ignoring access issues) are:

hash table - O(log n)
comparison tree - O((log n)^2)
radix trees - O(log n)

That is, hash tables and radix trees have the same order of
performance with comparison trees a distant third.

I think you might be surprised. Try the implementation of
wdfreq.c, which is a part of my hashlib distribution, as a usage
demonstration. Diddle it to use your comparison tree methods, and
I think you will be shocked. For example, processing n869.txt, a
1.2 Meg text file, on a 450 Mhz machine, takes 0.88 seconds,
including loading the program, and shows the following statistics.
All i/o is to disk.

143209 words, 3910 entries, 227358 probes, 77381 misses

<http://cbfalconer.home.att.net/download/hashlib.zip>

Juha Nieminen

CBFalconer said:
Which is O(log N), as compared to O(N). However a hashtable is
even faster, being O(1) for suitable organization.

F'ups set to c.l.c. only.

Why? Because computational complexities only apply to C?