    --
    Kind regards,

    Stijn Verrept.
    Stijn Verrept, Jan 19, 2004

  2. Stijn Verrept

    Shiv Kumar Guest

    CGI is an older technology. CGI was practically the first way to produce
    dynamic content for websites. CGI applications have quite a few drawbacks
    ISAPI/ASP.NET applications. Speed/Performance and scalability being the
    primary issues with CGI that the ISAPI technology addresses. There are a
    number of frameworks that are built on top of the ISAPI technology. In other
    words the primary engine is an ISAPI. They are (to name a few)
    1. ASP
    2, ASP.NET
    3. Cold Fusion
    4. Java Server Pages (JSP)

    They all use ISAPI engines (and not CGI).

    --
    Shiv R. Kumar
    http://www.matlus.com
    Shiv Kumar, Jan 19, 2004

  3. Stijn Verrept

    Showjumper Guest

    If he thinks its hazardous to run ASP.NET then he doesnt know what he is
    talking about.

    Showjumper, Jan 19, 2004
  4. Showjumper wrote:

    > If he thinks its hazardous to run ASP.NET then he doesnt know what he
    > is talking about.

    Maybe but that's not an answer to my question.

    --
    Kind regards,

    Stijn Verrept.
    Stijn Verrept, Jan 19, 2004
  5. Shiv Kumar wrote:

    > CGI is an older technology. CGI was practically the first way to
    > produce dynamic content for websites. CGI applications have quite a
    > few drawbacks ISAPI/ASP.NET applications. Speed/Performance and
    > scalability being the primary issues with CGI that the ISAPI
    > technology addresses. There are a number of frameworks that are built
    > on top of the ISAPI technology. In other words the primary engine is
    > an ISAPI. They are (to name a few) 1. ASP
    > 2, ASP.NET
    > 3. Cold Fusion
    > 4. Java Server Pages (JSP)
    >
    > They all use ISAPI engines (and not CGI).

    Thanks for your answer, so performance is 1 benefit, any other?

    --
    Kind regards,

    Stijn Verrept.
    Stijn Verrept, Jan 19, 2004
  6. > Thanks for your answer, so performance is 1 benefit, any other?

    There are too many to enumerate. How would you answer the question "What is
    the benefit of a windowed 32-bit Operating System over DOS?" It's about the
    same kind of question.

    --
    HTH,
    Kevin Spencer

    Kevin Spencer, Jan 19, 2004
  7. Kevin Spencer wrote:

    > > Thanks for your answer, so performance is 1 benefit, any other?
    > >

    > There are too many to enumerate. How would you answer the question
    > "What is the benefit of a windowed 32-bit Operating System over DOS?"
    > It's about the same kind of question.

    Ok I understand, but is there a paper on the net about this? There
    must be a list of benefits why to use ASP.NET and not CGI, ASP, ...

    --
    Kind regards,

    Stijn Verrept.
    Stijn Verrept, Jan 19, 2004
  8. You can read all about ASP.Net on the Microsoft web site. You might want to
    start at http://msdn.microsoft.com/asp.net/. I don't think you'll find much
    of anything comparing ASP.Net to CGI, for the same reason that you won't
    find anything comparing Windows Server 2003 to DOS. CGI is nearly obsolete.

    --
    HTH,
    Kevin Spencer

    Kevin Spencer, Jan 19, 2004
  9. Stijn Verrept

    Shiv Kumar Guest

    I have an article on my website that talks about ISAPI or CGI/ASP. In my
    tutorials section - Building ISAPI Applications using Delphi -
    Articles -ISAPI versus CGI/ASP.

    There was a great link to Microsoft's website (which is not valid anymore)
    that clearly showed the performance difference between ISAPI, ASP and CGI

    ISAPI/ASP.NET applications are typically multi-threaded and threads once
    spawned are cached for re-use. With IIS most ISAPI frameworks (ASP.NET
    included) can (and do) avail of thread pooling (using I/O completion ports)
    which further improved performance and scalability.

    On the one hand we are comparing the two frameworks. CGI versus ISAPI, and
    yes, the primary benefits of ISAPI over CGI is performance and scalability.
    On the other hand, built on top of this framework are tool sets such as
    ASP.NET that are very extensive. CGI has no such framework. So productivity
    is another advantage.

    Plus due to the nature of CGI applications, they can't be debugged (set
    break points, see values of variables etc.).

    --
    Shiv R. Kumar
    http://www.matlus.com

    Shiv Kumar, Jan 19, 2004
  10. Shiv Kumar wrote:

    > I have an article on my website that talks about ISAPI or CGI/ASP. In
    > my tutorials section - Building ISAPI Applications using Delphi -
    > Articles -ISAPI versus CGI/ASP.

    Thanks for the info!!!

    --
    Kind regards,

    Stijn Verrept.
    Stijn Verrept, Jan 20, 2004
  11. Stijn Verrept

    yj Guest

    For one thing , CGI is much slower than some of the other legacy technologies
    (e.g., ASP). and much, much, much slower than current technologies (JSP,
    Webspheres, ASP.NET).

    Also, CGI is not very flexible. You are very limited with what you can do.

    Development time will take, many, many, many times longer using this old
    technology. Developing a CGI is, put very simply,. very time consuming. ASP,
    JSP and Websphere takes up a much shorter time and ASP.NET takes up even less
    time than JSP, Websphere and ASP.

    Finally, ASP.NET uses the .NET Framework which means the managed code
    paradigm, which means that you are always using safe code (you can bypass this
    and use unmanaged code, if you want, but you rarely have to with .NET web
    apps). So your apps are safe -- much safer than with older technologies, such
    as ASP and, much, much, much safer than with technologes from the dawn of the
    internet (i.e., CGI). Using the Framework also means access to over 3,500
    classes, many third-party add-ins as well as the .NET Framework's built-in
    accessibility to many data access methods and platforms (Oracle, DB2, MySQL,
    SQL Server, Access, XML, MS-Office, etc. etc.) thanks to ADO,.NET. Did I
    mention web services.

    I could go on, but you get the idea.
    yj, Jan 20, 2004
  12. yj wrote:

    > I could go on, but you get the idea.

    Thanks! The decision has fallen and it's going to be ASP.NET :) :) :)

    --
    Kind regards,

    Stijn Verrept.
    Stijn Verrept, Jan 20, 2004