Beowulf clusters

Discussion in 'Java' started by Kenneth P. Turvey, Jul 2, 2006.

    Kenneth P. Turvey, Jul 2, 2006

  2. Kenneth P. Turvey

    Filip Larsen Guest

    Kenneth P. Turvey wrote

    > I need to do some parameter optimization on a long running job so I'm
    > planning to use the Beowulf cluster on the UMSL campus. Ideally I

    would
    > like to be able to kick off threads using the executor interface and

    have
    > them run on available nodes on the cluster. I know that things

    probably
    > aren't this simple, but that would be the ideal case.
    >
    > Does anyone have any experience with this? Any help would be

    appreciated.

    If you are looking for ways to deploy and run computation jobs on your
    cluster using Java, you may find the following interesting:

    http://sourceforge.net/projects/aglets
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/jcgrid/

    Regards,
    --
    Filip Larsen

    Filip Larsen, Jul 2, 2006

  3. Kenneth P. Turvey

    Filip Larsen Guest

    Filip Larsen, Jul 2, 2006

    Kenneth P. Turvey, Jul 2, 2006
  5. Kenneth P. Turvey

    vjg Guest

    Kenneth P. Turvey wrote:

    Am I the only one here who hasn't a clue what "the Beowolf cluster" is?
    You referenced UMSL and I'm assuming that's the University of Missouri
    at St. Louis. I happen to live in St. Louis so it caught my eye.

    vjg, Jul 3, 2006
  6. Kenneth P. Turvey

    Oliver Wong Guest

    "vjg" <> wrote in message

    > Am I the only one here who hasn't a clue what "the Beowolf cluster" is?
    > You referenced UMSL and I'm assuming that's the University of Missouri
    > at St. Louis. I happen to live in St. Louis so it caught my eye.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beowulf_cluster

    - Oliver

    Oliver Wong, Jul 3, 2006
  7. Kenneth P. Turvey

    Oliver Wong Guest

    "Kenneth P. Turvey" <> wrote in message

    > I was
    > talking to my wife the other night about how cool it would be if the
    > computer labs on campus joined the cluster when not in use.

    And how'd that go? ;)

    - Oliver

    Oliver Wong, Jul 3, 2006
  8. Kenneth P. Turvey

    Daniel Dyer Guest

    On Mon, 03 Jul 2006 15:52:51 +0100, vjg <> wrote:

    > Kenneth P. Turvey wrote:

    > Am I the only one here who hasn't a clue what "the Beowolf cluster" is?
    > You referenced UMSL and I'm assuming that's the University of Missouri
    > at St. Louis. I happen to live in St. Louis so it caught my eye.

    My news reader seems to have lost the last day's posts, including the
    original post in this thread, so forgive me if this has already been
    mentioned, but how about using Java Spaces?

    http://java.sun.com/developer/technicalArticles/tools/JavaSpaces/
    http://today.java.net/pub/a/today/2005/04/21/farm.html
    http://www.javaworld.com/jw-11-1999/jw-11-jiniology.html

    Dan.

    --
    Daniel Dyer
    http://www.dandyer.co.uk

    Daniel Dyer, Jul 3, 2006
  9. Kenneth P. Turvey

    vjg Guest

    Oliver Wong wrote:
    > "vjg" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Am I the only one here who hasn't a clue what "the Beowolf cluster" is?
    > > You referenced UMSL and I'm assuming that's the University of Missouri
    > > at St. Louis. I happen to live in St. Louis so it caught my eye.

    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beowulf_cluster

    Thanks... I went out and did some reading after I posted that question.
    I should have mentioned I was off to do a little research.

    - Virgil

    vjg, Jul 3, 2006

    Kenneth P. Turvey, Jul 3, 2006