Best 3-tier design for non-sql backend data?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by =?Utf-8?B?QmVybmllIEJlYXR0aWU=?=, Sep 18, 2006.

  1. I'm really struggling with deciding on the best way to approach my particular
    website design scenario. Most tutorials and samples assume an sql backend
    database.

    What I have is a proprietary database (which I'm stuck with) that I
    communicate with via a dll which expects requests in xml and returns the data
    back in xml.

    I've initially created a generic data access class that has 2 string
    parameters containing the dll method to call and a string of xml that defines
    the data required from the method. The class then reads the returned xml
    into a dataset and returns the appropriate table from the dataset. The asp
    pages use this class in ObjectDataSource objects so that the datatables can
    be bound to gridviews and can used in reports etc.

    Does this seem a reasonable approach? It seems to work fine for displaying
    data but I'm not sure about how to handle updating the data with this
    approach. I also keep reading about strong-typed datasets. I don't see the
    benefit in this scenario but I could be wrong.

    I'm new to asp.net so any comments would be gratefully received.

    Regards,

    Bernie Beattie

    =?Utf-8?B?QmVybmllIEJlYXR0aWU=?=, Sep 18, 2006

  2. I would say if your only option is to receive XML data back from your
    database, then this seems reasonable.

    I would like to stress though (and this is probably out of your
    control) that XML is very slow to parse and should be used ONLY when
    needed, i.e. a webservice or non-interopable systems data interchange.
    I find it amusing that a company would opt for XML to be fed into and
    return from a database system. I assume they are doing this so you can
    use the database on any system. I would be very interested though to
    see benchmarks of this database returns hundreds of thousands of rows.
    I would imagine it slows to a crawl.

    But like i said, it sounds like the dbms is out of your control, and by
    using datasets you leverage the most performance possible out of these
    xml data returns.

    What is the name of this database software you are using? I 'm curious.

    thanks

    Sean

    Sean Chambers, Sep 18, 2006