Best _production ready_ O/R mapper for dot.net

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Flare, Sep 23, 2004.

  1. Flare

    Flare Guest

    Hi

    Im coming from a J2EE world and have used Hibernate very succesfully.

    Now I have to choose wich O/R mapping to use in my next ASP.NET project for
    the persistence layer. The next projet is NOW so I can´t wait for projects
    to mature.

    I have looked at this list:
    http://sharptoolbox.madgeek.com/Pages/Categorybf4853b9-2a87-4d40-9987-8744c3a6a9d6.aspx

    But its pretty hard to judge wich project is mature to use in production:

    The obvious is ADO.NET Dataset (typed/untyped) but I REALLY don´t like to
    work with them. Done some testing and find them hard to work with. AIm I
    really wrong here? Is ADO.NET defacto to use in dot.net today and I am the
    one not undestanding the brilliance in ADO.NET?

    What about:
    -------------
    Gentle.net
    Wilson ORMapper for .NET
    OJB.NET
    nHibernate <<< Too bad its alpha. I need the O/R now. :(

    Others wich i should be aware of?

    Thank you very much
    Anders, Denmark
    Flare, Sep 23, 2004

  2. Flare

    Karl Seguin Guest

    I like Paul Wilson's...it's pretty solid...

    you should also consider:
    http://www.thona-consulting.com/content/products/entitybroker.aspx

    Karl

    --
    MY ASP.Net tutorials
    http://www.openmymind.net/

    Karl Seguin, Sep 23, 2004

  3. Flare

    Flare Guest

    Flare, Sep 23, 2004
  4. Developer Express has XPO (eXpress Persistent Objects).
    http://www.devexpress.com/?section=/products/NET/XPO

    --
    Miha Markic [MVP C#] - RightHand .NET consulting & development
    miha at rthand com

    Miha Markic [MVP C#], Sep 23, 2004
  5. Flare

    Flare Guest

    "Miha Markic [MVP C#]" <miha at rthand com> skrev i en meddelelse
    > Developer Express has XPO (eXpress Persistent Objects).
    > http://www.devexpress.com/?section=/products/NET/XPO

    Looks really great. Its says that it only supports MSSQL, Oracle, SAP...We
    might have to do quite alot of interaction with a postgres sql server.
    Dosent it support odbc or simular?

    Anders
    Flare, Sep 23, 2004
  6. Hi Flare,

    AFAIK There is XPO2 comming which will let you create your own provider
    specific code.
    I strongly recommend you to contact (very nice guys
    :) ) and ask them directly.

    Miha Markic [MVP C#], Sep 24, 2004
  7. Flare wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > Im coming from a J2EE world and have used Hibernate very succesfully.
    >
    > Now I have to choose wich O/R mapping to use in my next ASP.NET project for
    > the persistence layer. The next projet is NOW so I can´t wait for projects
    > to mature.
    >
    > I have looked at this list:
    > http://sharptoolbox.madgeek.com/Pages/Categorybf4853b9-2a87-4d40-9987-8744c3
    > a6a9d6.aspx
    >
    > But its pretty hard to judge wich project is mature to use in production:
    >
    > The obvious is ADO.NET Dataset (typed/untyped) but I REALLY don´t like to
    > work with them. Done some testing and find them hard to work with. AIm I
    > really wrong here? Is ADO.NET defacto to use in dot.net today and I am the
    > one not undestanding the brilliance in ADO.NET?
    >
    > What about:
    > -------------
    > Gentle.net
    > Wilson ORMapper for .NET
    > OJB.NET
    > nHibernate <<< Too bad its alpha. I need the O/R now. :(
    >
    > Others wich i should be aware of?

    LLBLGen Pro. (http://www.llblgen.com )
    Mature, widely used O/R mapper (over 47 countries), enterprise proven
    technology. We'll release a major update today or tomorrow, of course free
    for customers :)

    FB

    --
    Get LLBLGen Pro, productive O/R mapping for .NET: http://www.llblgen.com
    My .NET Blog: http://weblogs.asp.net/fbouma
    Frans Bouma [C# MVP], Sep 24, 2004
  8. Flare wrote:

    > "Miha Markic [MVP C#]" <miha at rthand com> skrev i en meddelelse
    > > Developer Express has XPO (eXpress Persistent Objects).
    > > http://www.devexpress.com/?section=/products/NET/XPO

    > Looks really great. Its says that it only supports MSSQL, Oracle, SAP...We
    > might have to do quite alot of interaction with a postgres sql server.
    > Dosent it support odbc or simular?

    If you have to target a postgresql box, you'll be out of luck with almost
    any O/R mapper for .NET I'm afraid. (for now, working on it :)

    FB

    Frans Bouma [C# MVP], Sep 24, 2004
  9. You definately want to have a look at ORM.NET at sourceforge. It's
    well into the production release so it is fairly mature.

    sayed

    Sayed Hashimi, Sep 24, 2004