Best approach for authenticating users for various departments in ASP.Net

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Larry Rekow, Aug 31, 2004.

  1. Larry Rekow

    Larry Rekow Guest

    I created a web application in classic ASP 6 months ago that had a
    login page which would only allow certain users to add, update or
    delete files from 6 different departments. (Windows 2000 server, NTFS,
    IIS5, not using Active Directory. After users are challenged for basic
    windows authentication, they get to the login page.)

    At the time, I set-up an Access db and a manager's page to add, delete
    and modify the permissions of users. When a user would login, a string
    would be put into their session variable showing which departments
    they had permission to use. the string was something like: 0010100
    where the first "0" meant they didn't have permission to department 1,
    but, in this case, they DID have permission to departments 3 and 5.
    They have 6 departments...the seventh digit was to show they had
    permission to all departments.

    Anyhow, at the top of each department page where a user could do any
    adding or deleting or updating, i put an include file that would
    redirect them to the login page if they didn't have the correct string
    for that department in their session variable.

    Works fine (tho some don't like having to login again after the
    session times out), but I'm now wanting to re-write this app in
    ASP.Net, and would like to find a more elegant approach to this. New
    to ASP.Net; not looking for code, just some direction for a better
    solution. Any ideas appreciated.

    Thanks,

    Larry Rekow
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    "Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."

    Larry Rekow, Aug 31, 2004

  2. Larry Rekow

    Hermit Dave Guest

    well you could use windows authentication to do user authentication.
    or you could do forms authentication.

    either way create groups and add users to different groups.
    in web.config you can specify which group has access to what resource..
    individual or directory using location element.

    http://authors.aspalliance.com/aspxtreme/webapps/aspnetauthentication.aspx

    http://www.codeproject.com/aspnet/custom_authentication.asp

    just google it up if you need any more examples

    --

    Regards,

    Hermit Dave
    (http://hdave.blogspot.com)