    databases development in Java. Does anyone know of any good books to
    get started in this area. Prefarable one that covers the whole picture
    from end to end.
    Yamin, Jul 11, 2006

  2. Yamin

    Guest

    "Developing Java Web Services: Architecting and Developing Secure Web
    Services Using Java "
    This hands-on developer's guide to Web services prepares you for the
    next level of distributed computing. The authors clearly show how to
    implement and deploy Web services using Java while also explaining the
    fundamentals from the ground up. After providing a detailed
    introduction to Web services, they walk you through the Web services
    architecture and its core building blocks, including standards and
    technologies. You'll then learn how to develop Web services solutions
    using Sun Java Web Services Developer Pack (JWSDP 1.0) APIs and how to
    expose your J2EE applications as Web services.

    Free java ebooks
    http://www.ebooklobby.com/
    Yamin wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I've worked with Java and swing for a while, so the language itself is
    > not an issue. But have never really go too much into web services or
    > databases development in Java. Does anyone know of any good books to
    > get started in this area. Prefarable one that covers the whole picture
    > from end to end.
    , Jul 11, 2006

  3. Yamin

    Mark Space Guest

    Yamin wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I've worked with Java and swing for a while, so the language itself is
    > not an issue. But have never really go too much into web services or
    > databases development in Java. Does anyone know of any good books to
    > get started in this area. Prefarable one that covers the whole picture
    > from end to end.

    This is potentially a large area, but you could try Java servlets. It's
    kinda hard to say, but if you mean "web services" like a web server (as
    opposed to the roughly one million other things you can do on the web),
    then Java servlets is a pretty good place to start.

    Check out Head First Servlets and JSP by O'Reilly. Best intro to the
    subject I've found, and it's got quite a bit of info that goes beyond an
    intro.

    If you want to just scope servlets out a little, it's a Jakarta project
    done by the Apache folks:

    http://tomcat.apache.org

    Tomcat is the web server that runs the servlets. Servlets are Java
    programs written to the Tomcat spec. It's like CGI for Java. JSP is a
    scripting language for when you don't need the full Java, it's faster
    and easier.

    While you are there, check out some of the frameworks available for
    Tomcat, esp. Struts and JavaServer Faces (JSF).
    Mark Space, Jul 11, 2006
  4. Yamin wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I've worked with Java and swing for a while, so the language itself is
    > not an issue. But have never really go too much into web services or
    > databases development in Java. Does anyone know of any good books to
    > get started in this area. Prefarable one that covers the whole picture
    > from end to end.

    Take a look at these book reviews:

    Guide To J2EE: Enterprise Java
    http://www.techbookreport.com/tbr0174.html