best book to learn web services

Yamin

Hi all,

I've worked with Java and swing for a while, so the language itself is
not an issue. But have never really go too much into web services or
databases development in Java. Does anyone know of any good books to
get started in this area. Prefarable one that covers the whole picture
from end to end.

jvsoft.org

"Developing Java Web Services: Architecting and Developing Secure Web
Services Using Java "
This hands-on developer's guide to Web services prepares you for the
next level of distributed computing. The authors clearly show how to
implement and deploy Web services using Java while also explaining the
fundamentals from the ground up. After providing a detailed
introduction to Web services, they walk you through the Web services
architecture and its core building blocks, including standards and
technologies. You'll then learn how to develop Web services solutions
using Sun Java Web Services Developer Pack (JWSDP 1.0) APIs and how to
expose your J2EE applications as Web services.

Free java ebooks
http://www.ebooklobby.com/

Mark Space

Yamin said:
Hi all,

I've worked with Java and swing for a while, so the language itself is
not an issue. But have never really go too much into web services or
databases development in Java. Does anyone know of any good books to
get started in this area. Prefarable one that covers the whole picture
from end to end.

This is potentially a large area, but you could try Java servlets. It's
kinda hard to say, but if you mean "web services" like a web server (as
opposed to the roughly one million other things you can do on the web),
then Java servlets is a pretty good place to start.

Check out Head First Servlets and JSP by O'Reilly. Best intro to the
subject I've found, and it's got quite a bit of info that goes beyond an
intro.

If you want to just scope servlets out a little, it's a Jakarta project
done by the Apache folks:

http://tomcat.apache.org

Tomcat is the web server that runs the servlets. Servlets are Java
programs written to the Tomcat spec. It's like CGI for Java. JSP is a
scripting language for when you don't need the full Java, it's faster
and easier.

While you are there, check out some of the frameworks available for
Tomcat, esp. Struts and JavaServer Faces (JSF).

TechBookReport

Yamin said:
Hi all,

I've worked with Java and swing for a while, so the language itself is
not an issue. But have never really go too much into web services or
databases development in Java. Does anyone know of any good books to
get started in this area. Prefarable one that covers the whole picture
from end to end.

Take a look at these book reviews:

Guide To J2EE: Enterprise Java
http://www.techbookreport.com/tbr0174.html