best C++ browser [was Re: emacs Vs Eclipse?]

Discussion in 'C++' started by Kin Cho, Oct 5, 2004.

  1. Kin Cho

    Kin Cho Guest

    Hi,

    I now have a need to browse thousands of lines of C++ code
    written by someone else. Is ECB state of the art? I don't mind
    paying for non-free software, as long as it integrates with
    emacs.

    Thanks.

    -kin

    Kin Cho, Oct 5, 2004

  2. Kin Cho

    Klaus Berndl Guest

    On Tue, 05 Oct 2004, Kin Cho wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I now have a need to browse thousands of lines of C++ code
    > written by someone else. Is ECB state of the art? I don't mind

    Depends on what you mean with "state of the art"?
    The best is you go to http://ecb.sf.net - look at the screenshots
    and take a look into the online-documentation which describes pretty all what
    ECB can do for you...

    Klaus

    Klaus Berndl, Oct 6, 2004

  3. Re: best C++ browser

    [ Kin Cho ]

    > I now have a need to browse thousands of lines of C++ code
    > written by someone else. Is ECB state of the art? I don't mind
    > paying for non-free software, as long as it integrates with
    > emacs.

    There is a software that I believe support refactoring and code
    browsing that you can download and test from
    http://www.xref.sk/xrefactory/license.html I believe that this program
    integrates with ECB. Xrefactory C++ is non-free after test period.

    Aasmund

    Asmund Ostvold, Oct 7, 2004
  4. Re: best C++ browser

    Kin Cho <> writes:

    > I now have a need to browse thousands of lines of C++ code
    > written by someone else. Is ECB state of the art? I don't mind
    > paying for non-free software, as long as it integrates with
    > emacs.

    Emacs 21 comes with ebrowse. I don't know how it stacks up, but you
    could at least try it, since you most probably already have it...

    Doging the state of the art, let's say that ECB is definitely very
    good.

    Kai

    Kai Grossjohann, Oct 10, 2004
  5. Kin Cho

    Kin Cho Guest

    Re: best C++ browser

    Just gave ebrowse a try. I wouldn't say I'm impressed by it.
    The interface seems a bit non-intuitive.

    I'll try ECB since it seems better judging by its screenshots.

    -kin

    Kin Cho, Oct 11, 2004