    a free visual IDE.

    Please give me your choice ?

    P.DELMAS
    P.DELMAS, Sep 28, 2003

  2. P.DELMAS

    David Segall Guest

    "P.DELMAS" <> wrote:

    >I'm starting to developp a Db oriented program at home, but I'm looking for
    >a free visual IDE.
    >
    >Please give me your choice ?
    >
    >P.DELMAS

    Netbeans (www.netbeans.org) is free and Open Source. I think you will
    find it the best choice. Borland JBuilder Personal Edition
    (http://www.borland.com/jbuilder/personal/index.html) is also free (or
    $10.00 if you want it on CD). Oracle's JDeveloper
    (http://otn.oracle.com/products/jdev/content.html) is a free download
    but the license severely restricts what you can do with programs you
    write if you do not pay for it. JDeveloper would suit someone studying
    databases because it works well with the free download of Oracle 9i
    DBMS.

    Sun One Studio 4 Community Edition, which is derived from Netbeans, is
    still available, without charge, from
    http://jsecom16d.sun.com/ECom/EComA...I9-401-TL9M&TransactionId=try&LMLoadBalanced=
    but has been superseded by Studio 5. Sun suggest you use Netbeans if
    you want a free version and Netbeans suggest you use Sun One if you
    want an IDE that "possesses a clearly defined relationship to the
    trusted name and service offerings of Sun Microsystems". IBM has a
    free version of Visual Age for Java at
    http://www7.software.ibm.com/vad.ns...=4589&Title=Overview&DPart=Overview&Doc4=4594.
    It has a limit on the number of classes in your application and, in
    any case, has been superseded by Websphere Studio Application
    Developer (http://www-3.ibm.com/software/awdtools/studioappdev/).
    Websphere is not free but a sixty day trial is available. Eclipse
    (www.eclipse.org) is a popular Open Source IDE, and there are free
    plug-ins like http://www.assisiplugins.com/index_start.html which
    provide limited WYSIWYG GUI development.

    I seem to have set myself the task of keeping track of IDEs which are
    comparable to those in the preceding paragraphs so I would appreciate
    any corrections or additions.
    David Segall, Sep 28, 2003

  3. P.DELMAS

    Steven Green Guest

    I like both the Netbeans and Eclipse IDEs

    http://www.eclipse.org
    http://www.netbeans.org

    Personally I prefer Eclipse, but it doesn't have the GUI builders like
    Netbeans, so I find myself using Netbeans to rough out GUI components and
    importing the generated java files into Eclipse.

    --Steve

    Steven Green, Sep 29, 2003
  4. P.DELMAS

    P.DELMAS Guest

    Thanks a lot for these informations.

    Don't hesitate if I can help you about Citrix, Lotus Notes, Windows (!) or
    IP networks.

    Best regards.

    P.DELMAS

    http://jsecom16d.sun.com/ECom/EComActionServlet?StoreId=8&PartDetailId=FJCI9
    -401-TL9M&TransactionId=try&LMLoadBalanced=
    > but has been superseded by Studio 5. Sun suggest you use Netbeans if
    > you want a free version and Netbeans suggest you use Sun One if you
    > want an IDE that "possesses a clearly defined relationship to the
    > trusted name and service offerings of Sun Microsystems". IBM has a
    > free version of Visual Age for Java at

    http://www7.software.ibm.com/vad.nsf/FrameData/Master?OpenDocument&FSet=1&Do
    c3=4589&Title=Overview&DPart=Overview&Doc4=4594.

    P.DELMAS, Oct 1, 2003