Best Compiler

Discussion in 'Java' started by Gary, Jul 21, 2005.

  1. Gary

    Gary Guest

    I'm just about to start a course in data structures and algorithms using
    Java as the language. I haven't touched Java for a couple of years. Can
    anyone advise of a good compiler to use. Most recently I've been using
    Microsoft C++ .Net in ANSI mode, and I have liked using this tool.

    Thanks for any advice..
    Gary, Jul 21, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 23:14:38 +1000, Gary wrote:

    > I'm just about to start a course in data structures and algorithms using
    > Java as the language. I haven't touched Java for a couple of years. Can
    > anyone advise of a good compiler to use.


    Sun's. It comes with the SDK.

    >..Most recently I've been using
    > Microsoft C++ .Net in ANSI mode, and I have liked using this tool.


    Do you like command line tools?

    --
    Andrew Thompson
    physci.org 1point1c.org javasaver.com lensescapes.com athompson.info
    Mr Bender's Wardrobe By ROBOTANY 500
    Andrew Thompson, Jul 21, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. > I'm just about to start a course in data structures and algorithms using
    > Java as the language. I haven't touched Java for a couple of years. Can
    > anyone advise of a good compiler to use. Most recently I've been using
    > Microsoft C++ .Net in ANSI mode, and I have liked using this tool.




    jikes.exe is very fast. But you need to include the -classpath on
    the command line or in the batch file.

    http://jikes.sourceforge.net/
    Martijn Mulder, Jul 21, 2005
    #3
  4. Martijn Mulder wrote:
    >>I'm just about to start a course in data structures and algorithms using
    >>Java as the language. I haven't touched Java for a couple of years. Can
    >>anyone advise of a good compiler to use. Most recently I've been using
    >>Microsoft C++ .Net in ANSI mode, and I have liked using this tool.

    >
    >
    >
    >
    > jikes.exe is very fast. But you need to include the -classpath on
    > the command line or in the batch file.
    >
    > http://jikes.sourceforge.net/
    >
    >


    Martijn:

    You don't actually have to do that. You can add an environment variable
    JIKESPATH. You have to include the location of rt.jar though.

    Oh I guess I shouldn't be so hasty, the procedure is slightly different
    on Linux.

    --

    Knute Johnson
    email s/nospam/knute/
    Knute Johnson, Jul 21, 2005
    #4
  5. Knute Johnson wrote:
    > Martijn Mulder wrote:
    >>> I'm just about to start a course in data structures and
    >>> algorithms using Java as the language. I haven't
    >>> touched Java for a couple of years. Can anyone advise
    >>> of a good compiler to use. Most recently I've been
    >>> using Microsoft C++ .Net in ANSI mode, and I have liked
    >>> using this tool.

    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> jikes.exe is very fast. But you need to include the
    >> -classpath on the command line or in the batch file.
    >>
    >> http://jikes.sourceforge.net/
    >>
    >>

    > You don't actually have to do that. You can add an
    > environment variable JIKESPATH. You have to include the
    > location of rt.jar though.
    >
    > Oh I guess I shouldn't be so hasty, the procedure is
    > slightly different on Linux.



    This is what I have in my jikes.bat file:

    jikes.exe -Xstdout -classpath c:\jdk1.5.0\jre\lib\rt.jar -deprecation %1 >
    error.txt
    vi.exe error.txt

    Only 1 key press from vi.exe. Yeah!
    Martijn Mulder, Jul 21, 2005
    #5
  6. Gary

    Lee Weiner Guest

    In article <1121951696.e31933f0f01beb1df5e9d1b3f422c2f3@teranews>, "Gary" <> wrote:
    >I'm just about to start a course in data structures and algorithms using
    >Java as the language. I haven't touched Java for a couple of years. Can
    >anyone advise of a good compiler to use. Most recently I've been using
    >Microsoft C++ .Net in ANSI mode, and I have liked using this tool.


    Do you mean "compiler", or do you really mean "IDE"?

    Lee Weiner
    lee AT leeweiner DOT org
    Lee Weiner, Jul 21, 2005
    #6
  7. Gary

    E.Otter Guest

    E.Otter, Jul 21, 2005
    #7
  8. Gary

    Joan Guest

    "Gary" <> wrote in message
    news:1121951696.e31933f0f01beb1df5e9d1b3f422c2f3@teranews...
    > I'm just about to start a course in data structures and algorithms using
    > Java as the language. I haven't touched Java for a couple of years. Can
    > anyone advise of a good compiler to use. Most recently I've been using
    > Microsoft C++ .Net in ANSI mode, and I have liked using this tool.
    >

    For you, best means
    "provides the most information when my program
    is not correct so I can get it working"
    I use Eclipse IDE and if there are errors in a Java source file, Eclipse
    marks
    it with a little red x. Furthermore if I click on the x it gives me some
    idea of what's wrong (e.g. "you need a semicolon to complete this
    statement").
    Joan, Jul 21, 2005
    #8
  9. Martijn Mulder wrote:
    >
    >
    > This is what I have in my jikes.bat file:
    >
    > jikes.exe -Xstdout -classpath c:\jdk1.5.0\jre\lib\rt.jar -deprecation %1 >
    > error.txt
    > vi.exe error.txt
    >
    > Only 1 key press from vi.exe. Yeah!
    >


    That's pretty slick Martijn!

    --

    Knute Johnson
    email s/nospam/knute/
    Knute Johnson, Jul 22, 2005
    #9
  10. Gary

    Gary Guest

    Thanks to all for your advice... I did actually mean IDE, Eclipse appears to
    be a good start...

    Regards,
    Gary




    "Joan" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >
    > "Gary" <> wrote in message
    > news:1121951696.e31933f0f01beb1df5e9d1b3f422c2f3@teranews...
    >> I'm just about to start a course in data structures and algorithms using
    >> Java as the language. I haven't touched Java for a couple of years. Can
    >> anyone advise of a good compiler to use. Most recently I've been using
    >> Microsoft C++ .Net in ANSI mode, and I have liked using this tool.
    >>

    > For you, best means
    > "provides the most information when my program
    > is not correct so I can get it working"
    > I use Eclipse IDE and if there are errors in a Java source file, Eclipse
    > marks
    > it with a little red x. Furthermore if I click on the x it gives me some
    > idea of what's wrong (e.g. "you need a semicolon to complete this
    > statement").
    >
    >
    Gary, Jul 22, 2005
    #10
  11. Knute Johnson wrote:
    > Martijn Mulder wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >> This is what I have in my jikes.bat file:
    >>
    >> jikes.exe -Xstdout -classpath
    >> c:\jdk1.5.0\jre\lib\rt.jar -deprecation %1 > error.txt> vi.exe error.txt
    >>
    >> Only 1 key press from vi.exe. Yeah!
    >>

    >
    > That's pretty slick Martijn!





    I know, and I intend to keep it this way. It took days, weeks to come to this.
    If there is anybody out there who wants his command line processing efficient
    and simple, I am more than willing to help.
    Martijn Mulder, Jul 22, 2005
    #11
  12. On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 22:07:23 +1000, Gary wrote:

    > Thanks to all for your advice... I did actually mean IDE, Eclipse appears to
    > be a good start...


    Please ensure your students have enough documentation and
    support for their Eclipse that they do not feel the need
    to come here and ask 'why Eclipse will not [1]?' or
    'how can I make Eclipse [1]?'.

    [1] ..whatever.

    TIA

    --
    Andrew Thompson
    physci.org 1point1c.org javasaver.com lensescapes.com athompson.info
    Presented in BC [Brain Control] Where Available
    Andrew Thompson, Jul 22, 2005
    #12
  13. Gary

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 23:14:38 +1000, "Gary" <> wrote
    or quoted :

    >I'm just about to start a course in data structures and algorithms using
    >Java as the language. I haven't touched Java for a couple of years. Can
    >anyone advise of a good compiler to use. Most recently I've been using
    >Microsoft C++ .Net in ANSI mode, and I have liked using this tool.


    Another way to ask that question is which IDE should I use? It then
    may have its own internal incremental compiler, that it uses in
    adjunct to Javac, Jikes or some other.

    see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/ide.html

    You will always want Sun for the final distribution.

    see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/javacexe.html

    you also probably want to get started early with ant since it is the
    way everyone does big builds nowadays. It also uses the trick of
    loading the compiler once and feeding it files like a Strasbourg goose
    rather than loading a fresh copy for each directory.

    I won't send you to the ant section of the java glossary.. it is in
    pieces just now. I thought I understood ant, but I didn't.

    --
    Bush crime family lost/embezzled $3 trillion from Pentagon.
    Complicit Bush-friendly media keeps mum. Rumsfeld confesses on video.
    http://www.infowars.com/articles/us/mckinney_grills_rumsfeld.htm

    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.
    See http://mindprod.com/iraq.html photos of Bush's war crimes
    Roedy Green, Jul 23, 2005
    #13
  14. Gary

    Dale King Guest

    Andrew Thompson wrote:
    > On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 22:07:23 +1000, Gary wrote:
    >
    >
    >>Thanks to all for your advice... I did actually mean IDE, Eclipse appears to
    >>be a good start...

    >
    >
    > Please ensure your students have enough documentation and
    > support for their Eclipse that they do not feel the need
    > to come here and ask 'why Eclipse will not [1]?' or
    > 'how can I make Eclipse [1]?'.


    I thought that Gary was the student, not the teacher. Hopefully he is
    not teaching a course when he hasn't "touched Java for a couple of years".

    I would recommend using BlueJ in this course, which he said was about
    data structures and algorithms in Java. If the focus is on data
    structures and algorithms you don't want to add the burden of using the
    command line tools.

    --
    Dale King
    Dale King, Jul 23, 2005
    #14
  15. On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 02:28:56 GMT, Dale King wrote:

    > Andrew Thompson wrote:
    >> On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 22:07:23 +1000, Gary wrote:
    >>
    >>>Thanks to all for your advice... I did actually mean IDE, Eclipse appears to
    >>>be a good start...

    >>
    >> Please ensure your students have enough documentation and
    >> support for their Eclipse that they do not feel the need
    >> to come here and ask 'why Eclipse will not [1]?' or
    >> 'how can I make Eclipse [1]?'.

    >
    > I thought that Gary was the student, not the teacher. Hopefully he is
    > not teaching a course when he hasn't "touched Java for a couple of years".


    Uggh. I read 'just about to start a course in' as meaning
    the OP was teaching it.

    > I would recommend using BlueJ in this course, which he said was about
    > data structures and algorithms in Java. If the focus is on data
    > structures and algorithms you don't want to add the burden of using the
    > command line tools.


    That is (endlessly) debatable(*). Not what the OP wants, but
    that which works best.

    So, Dale.. When the OP pops back in to descibe how 'their IDE'
    will not compile a packaged class, are you going to jump in
    to guide them as to which menu and option of their IDE to tweak?

    * Because if you cannot provide that assurance, the approach of
    using the tools that the audience are familiar with, will probably
    best suit a person who comes to usenet for advice..

    --
    Andrew Thompson
    physci.org 1point1c.org javasaver.com lensescapes.com athompson.info
    Bigfoot's Choice
    Andrew Thompson, Jul 23, 2005
    #15
  16. Gary

    Dale King Guest

    Andrew Thompson wrote:
    > On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 02:28:56 GMT, Dale King wrote:
    >
    >
    >>Andrew Thompson wrote:
    >>
    >>>On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 22:07:23 +1000, Gary wrote:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>>Thanks to all for your advice... I did actually mean IDE, Eclipse appears to
    >>>>be a good start...
    >>>
    >>>Please ensure your students have enough documentation and
    >>>support for their Eclipse that they do not feel the need
    >>>to come here and ask 'why Eclipse will not [1]?' or
    >>>'how can I make Eclipse [1]?'.

    >>
    >>I thought that Gary was the student, not the teacher. Hopefully he is
    >>not teaching a course when he hasn't "touched Java for a couple of years".

    >
    >
    > Uggh. I read 'just about to start a course in' as meaning
    > the OP was teaching it.
    >
    >
    >>I would recommend using BlueJ in this course, which he said was about
    >>data structures and algorithms in Java. If the focus is on data
    >>structures and algorithms you don't want to add the burden of using the
    >>command line tools.


    Uggh. Somehow I left off the part about "If he were teaching the
    course...". I was saying that the best tool for a teacher in a course
    focussed on data structures and algorithms would be BlueJ.

    > That is (endlessly) debatable(*).


    It is certainly endlessly debated, but not in my mind debatable ;-)

    The argument that always comes up in these debates is the notion that it
    is important to learn how to invoke the command line tools. That is not
    valid in a course that is about data structures not Java programming.
    You don't care in that course if they learn how to invoke the command
    line tools you care if they understand how a heap works and how
    quicksort works.

    > Not what the OP wants, but that which works best.


    Well Gary did eventually say he wanted an IDE. But we are talking
    hypothetical here since I was referring to the teacher of a course.

    > So, Dale.. When the OP pops back in to descibe how 'their IDE'
    > will not compile a packaged class, are you going to jump in
    > to guide them as to which menu and option of their IDE to tweak?
    >
    > * Because if you cannot provide that assurance, the approach of
    > using the tools that the audience are familiar with, will probably
    > best suit a person who comes to usenet for advice..


    I assume your response is based on my not clearly saying that I was
    referring to the teacher of the course and not the student. If the
    teacher cannot handle such questions then they are not qualified to
    teach the course.

    And that is the reason why I would recommend BlueJ for this. There is
    nothing to tweak for this. You simply hit the compile button.

    If a student has the expertise to use a different tool then they can,
    but then they are responsible for supporting it. I was addressing the
    tool a teacher would use as the standard tool for a course.

    --
    Dale King
    Dale King, Jul 23, 2005
    #16
  17. On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 12:56:57 GMT, Dale King wrote:

    (IDE/comand line knowledge of Java tools)

    > ..That is not
    > valid in a course that is about data structures not Java programming.


    Good point.

    <stubbornly>
    My attitude of "don't come here for IDE advice" stands though.
    </stubbornly>

    --
    Andrew Thompson
    physci.org 1point1c.org javasaver.com lensescapes.com athompson.info
    Soon To Be A Major Religion
    Andrew Thompson, Jul 23, 2005
    #17
  18. Andrew Thompson wrote:
    > So, Dale.. When the OP pops back in to descibe how 'their IDE'
    > will not compile a packaged class, are you going to jump in
    > to guide them as to which menu and option of their IDE to tweak?
    >
    > * Because if you cannot provide that assurance, the approach of
    > using the tools that the audience are familiar with, will probably
    > best suit a person who comes to usenet for advice..
    >


    I guess it is known that I am also in the "know your tools" fraction,
    and think that it is a good idea to know how the command line tools (and
    the classpath) work.

    But, I think it is justifiable to recommend BlueJ to students. Last time
    I looked at that IDE it was so self-contained that it will really not
    come to student's minds to think about packaging, building jars, "making
    exes", or other stuff like this. In BlueJ you twiddle with your objects
    and source code, and that's it. You don't even get to see a "static void
    main(String args[])" if you don't want to.

    /Thomas

    --
    The comp.lang.java.gui FAQ:
    ftp://ftp.cs.uu.nl/pub/NEWS.ANSWERS/computer-lang/java/gui/faq
    http://www.uni-giessen.de/faq/archiv/computer-lang.java.gui.faq/
    Thomas Weidenfeller, Jul 25, 2005
    #18
  19. Gary

    Tim Tyler Guest

    Thomas Weidenfeller <> wrote or quoted:

    > But, I think it is justifiable to recommend BlueJ to students. Last time
    > I looked at that IDE it was so self-contained that it will really not
    > come to student's minds to think about packaging, building jars, "making
    > exes", or other stuff like this. In BlueJ you twiddle with your objects
    > and source code, and that's it. You don't even get to see a "static void
    > main(String args[])" if you don't want to.


    It sounds like a good way of learning OOP - but maybe not such a good
    way of learning Java.

    ....and if learning OOP is the goal, why start with a language like
    Java in the first place?

    Java hasn't yet managed to embrace the idea of making everything an
    object - surely a pretty basic OO concept.
    --
    __________
    |im |yler http://timtyler.org/ Remove lock to reply.
    Tim Tyler, Jul 27, 2005
    #19
  20. Gary

    Dale King Guest

    Thomas Weidenfeller wrote:
    > Andrew Thompson wrote:
    >
    >> So, Dale.. When the OP pops back in to descibe how 'their IDE'
    >> will not compile a packaged class, are you going to jump in to guide
    >> them as to which menu and option of their IDE to tweak?
    >>
    >> * Because if you cannot provide that assurance, the approach of
    >> using the tools that the audience are familiar with, will probably
    >> best suit a person who comes to usenet for advice..
    >>

    >
    > I guess it is known that I am also in the "know your tools" fraction,
    > and think that it is a good idea to know how the command line tools (and
    > the classpath) work.


    Well in this case we were talking about a course in data structures and
    algorithms. Teaching the command line tools is not a goal of such a
    course and not relevant. But let's ignore that and say it is truly a
    course on Java programming.

    I am in the "know your language then know your tools" faction, because
    that is the order that makes sense. You can't know the tools unless (and
    until) you know the language. Starting newbies out on an IDE does not
    mean that you never teach them the comand line tools. It only means you
    teach them the language first so that they will be able to understand
    what you are talking about when you teach them the tools.
    --
    Dale King
    Dale King, Jul 27, 2005
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Yan
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,130
  2. Jack Wright
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    618
    Shiv Kumar
    Jan 19, 2004
  3. Ram
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    2,827
  4. Andrey Batyuck

    Compiler compiler with C++ as output

    Andrey Batyuck, May 11, 2004, in forum: C++
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    436
    Frederik Hertzum
    May 17, 2004
  5. RickMuller
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    701
    Alexey Shamrin
    Mar 26, 2005
Loading...

Share This Page