Best Free and Open Source Python IDE

Srikanth

Yes,

All I need is a good IDE, I can't find something like Eclipse (JDT).
Eclipse has a Python IDE plug-in but it's not that great. Please
recommend.

Thanks,
Srikanth

bruno.desthuilliers

Yes,

All I need is a good IDE, I can't find something like Eclipse (JDT).
Eclipse has a Python IDE plug-in but it's not that great. Please
recommend.
emacs +python-mode +ecb

daftspaniel

Srikanth said:
All I need is a good IDE, I can't find something like Eclipse (JDT).
Eclipse has a Python IDE plug-in but it's not that great. Please
recommend.

My favourite at the mo is Komodo Edit - free (though not OSS).

On the OSS side, SPE is very good too - more of an IDE than Komodo
Edit. DrPython is worth a look as is the similar Ulipad. Also have a
look at Boa.

Cheers,
Davy Mitchell

jean-michel bain-cornu

On the OSS side, SPE is very good too - more of an IDE than Komodo
Edit. DrPython is worth a look as is the similar Ulipad. Also have a
look at Boa.
Boa is excellent if you plan to use wxwidgets.
Regards
jm

Ben Finney

Srikanth said:
All I need is a good IDE, I can't find something like Eclipse (JDT).
Eclipse has a Python IDE plug-in but it's not that great. Please
recommend.

A powerful, well-supported text editor (either Emacs or Vim) plus the
corresponding Python support.

cyberco

Go for BOA if you're going to use wxPython, whose python text editor
is excellent as well.

Fuzzyman

Yes,

All I need is a good IDE, I can't find something like Eclipse (JDT).
Eclipse has a Python IDE plug-in but it's not that great. Please
recommend.

Thanks,
Srikanth

There's a new kid on the block (free and OSS) which doesn't get much
press. I've only played with it - but it looks good: Ulipad

I used Spe happily for a couple of years and PythonWin has a good
following. (Windoze only of course.)

I've used Eclipse plus the free PyDev a bit - it seemed very good.
What was your problem with it?

I personally use Wing, which I have a free license for as an OSS
developer. It is commercial (we now use it at work as well) but I like
it a great deal.

Fuzzyman
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/python/articles.shtml

Enrico 'Mc Osten' Franchi

Srikanth said:
All I need is a good IDE, I can't find something like Eclipse (JDT).
Eclipse has a Python IDE plug-in but it's not that great.

Have you tried the 'full' plugin (you have to pay about 30 $ IIRC or
something like that)?

My favourite Python editor is TextMate a shareware (39 $) editor for the
MacOS. Before that I used gvim and then for a short time Emacs.
In my opinion an IDE is not necessary in Python. However, this may be
dependent from the way I work.

Bastos

Yes,

All I need is a good IDE, I can't find something like Eclipse (JDT).
Eclipse has a Python IDE plug-in but it's not that great. Please
recommend.

Thanks,
Srikanth

Gedit and some plugins, definitely.

Stef Mientki

Szabolcs said:
nice idea to re-use components you already have.

Which brings me to some other questions on waste:
- isn't it a pitty so many people are involved in writing another editor / IDE ?
- isn't it a waste for newbies to evaluate a dozen editors / IDE's ?

What anser do we really give here ?
Aren't we just telling the guy,
what we've chozen (with our limited overview of our newbie time) ;-)
(sorry, I also gave an answer ;-)

Can't we persuade the next newbie, asking this question,
to start some kind of wiki page,
where the differences between editors / IDE's are listed ?

Unfortunately he number of IDE's / editors is so large,
a simple 2 dimensional array of features would become too large ;-)
Maybe a first split would be the required OS ?
Next split could be editor-features and IDE features ?

just some thoughts,
of a some months old newbie,
Stef Mientki

Geoff Hill

If you can take some time and master Vim, you'll be set for typing out any
programming language for the rest of your life.

I hear Emacs is good too, and the GNU project is great, so you could try
that as well. It's supposed to be more geared towards programming

Kirk Sluder

Stef Mientki said:
Which brings me to some other questions on waste:
- isn't it a pitty so many people are involved in writing another editor /
IDE ?

I don't know about that. Most of the new editor development appears
to involve one of the following:

1: Taking advantage of a specific graphical toolkit or interface,
such as KDE, Gnome, Cocoa, MS Foundation, SWING, and terminals.

2: Building around a specific language for macro and script
programming.

3: Adding features that are useful for specific development models.
Web/HTML authoring requires upload tools, C/C++ requires make, Java
might use Ant, lisp and python can use shells.
- isn't it a waste for newbies to evaluate a dozen editors / IDE's ?

I think that in many cases, the choices are constrained to two or
three depending on what the _newbie_ wants to do, and what Desktop
Environment they use. For general editors on OS X, I'd suggest
Smultron, or TextWrangler. For KDE, kick the tires on Kate a bit.
Cross-platform and portable? jEdit. Text consoles? Emacs, vim or
jed.

And if the newbie has some specific itch that needs to be scratched,
there again the choices usually boil down to two or three best of
breed IDEs, many of which are segregated by platform.