Best free Java IDE with debug tools?

Jeffrey Spoon

Hello, I'm using JCreator LE at the moment and it's pretty basic. I'm
looking for an IDE with a step-trace/walkthrough type feature so I can
view each line of code as it executes along with the output. Any
recommendations?

Cheers.

Josef Garvi

Eclipse is very good, but if you don't have too much memory in your
machine, you may want to look for something more light-weight (and netbeans
is also good, and heavyweight)

--
Josef Garvi

"Reversing desertification through drought tolerant trees"
http://www.eden-foundation.org/

new income - better environment - more food - less poverty

Wald

Josef Garvi said:
Eclipse is very good, but if you don't have too much memory in
your machine, you may want to look for something more
light-weight (and netbeans is also good, and heavyweight)

True. I've worked with Eclipse on a 256MB machine and I must admit,
an upgrade to 512MB was a relief. But then again, I think every IDE
nowadays requires a reasonably powerful machine to run decently.

Greetz,
Wald

Jeffrey Spoon

Wald said:
True. I've worked with Eclipse on a 256MB machine and I must admit,
an upgrade to 512MB was a relief. But then again, I think every IDE
nowadays requires a reasonably powerful machine to run decently.

Greetz,
Wald

That's ok, I have 512MB. I actually posted to comp.lang.java.help about
my specific program (Shunting algorithm thread) but looks like I'll have
to figure out myself (although I'm probably just being impatient as
usual). I was a bit fed up of tracing it using printouts manually so
this should help. I'll have a look at Eclipse. I didn't realise Netbeans
was free either, I might as well have a look at that too.

Thanks everyone.

Josef Garvi

Jeffrey said:
this should help. I'll have a look at Eclipse. I didn't realise Netbeans
was free either, I might as well have a look at that too.

The latest 3.6 version has a nice feature. It will show JavaDoc comments
about a method as you highlight it in the auto-completion list, giving you
better insight into what you are calling.

--
Josef Garvi

"Reversing desertification through drought tolerant trees"
http://www.eden-foundation.org/

new income - better environment - more food - less poverty

Stanimir Stamenkov

/Christophe Vanfleteren/:
When one of the first links on the page says: "Buy Idea", what do you think?

Yeah, that was a rhetorical question, if I haven't made it clear.

Phillip Lord

Stanimir> /Christophe Vanfleteren/:

Stanimir> Yeah, that was a rhetorical question, if I haven't made it
Stanimir> clear.

Do you think using rhetorical questions on the usenet is sensible? Is
it possible that you will come to regret doing so?

Phil

Jeffrey Spoon

Josef Garvi said:
The latest 3.6 version has a nice feature. It will show JavaDoc
comments about a method as you highlight it in the auto-completion
list, giving you better insight into what you are calling.

I grabbed 3.08M. It's excellent, much better. Nice Gui too. Managed to
step through my code and realise where the problem was. Now I've just
got to fix it...