Best Free WYSIWYG HTML Editors

Cheers Darren

Stewart Gordon

darren said:
Hello,

could someone advise me on the best
Best Free WYSIWYG HTML Editors

No HTML editor is truly WYSIWYG.

HTML isn't that difficult to learn. But if you still want something to
do it for you, I get the impression that Mozilla Composer (which comes
with the Mozilla browser package) is a decent one, even better than the
commercial ones in one or two respects. Though I don't use it myself,
so I can't comment much.

http://www.mozilla.org

See also

http://webtips.dan.info/wysiwyg.html

for some general issues relating to using these things.

Stewart.

Ron Eggler @ work

Stewart said:
No HTML editor is truly WYSIWYG.

HTML isn't that difficult to learn. But if you still want something
to do it for you, I get the impression that Mozilla Composer (which
comes with the Mozilla browser package) is a decent one, even better
than the commercial ones in one or two respects. Though I don't use
it myself, so I can't comment much.

http://www.mozilla.org

See also

http://webtips.dan.info/wysiwyg.html

for some general issues relating to using these things.

Stewart.

I'd recommend NVU: http://www.nvu.com/

Roy Schestowitz

Ron said:

HTMLArea <http://www.htmlarea.com/> is free and I installed it on my domain.
It generates fairly decent code, but I think WysiwygPro is better.
WysiwygPro comes with my cPanel package, but I don't think it's freely
distributed.

If you are looking for simple ways of composing Web pages, also consider CMS
packages, many of which are free. PHP-Nuke and WordPress come to mind.
Think of CMS packages as the next generation of authoring tools, which
snatch the place of text editors and native WYSIWYG packages.

Roy

AF

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 12:00:37 +0100, Stewart Gordon

....snip
do it for you, I get the impression that Mozilla Composer (which comes
with the Mozilla browser package) is a decent one, even better than the
commercial ones in one or two respects. Though I don't use it myself,
so I can't comment much.

snip...

Has anyone used Composer and have any comments?

I am now user FrontPage for simple sites and NetObject Fusion for more
complicted sites. Has anyone who has used these two also used
Composer? What do you think?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Best regards,

Al
http://www.affordablefloridainsurance.com
http://www.americanbestmortgages.com

Jim Scott

Has anyone used Composer and have any comments?

I am now user FrontPage for simple sites and NetObject Fusion for more
complicted sites. Has anyone who has used these two also used
Composer? What do you think?
I used to use Frontpage, but was warned off it by the HTML police because
it adds heaps of unnecessary stuff.
I currently use Nvu (free-standing son of Composer http://www.nvu.com/). It
is easy to use and only adds unnecessary crap now and then, which is easily
checked with its built in validator link.
There is no doubt that FP was more sophisticated, but Nvu is only at
version 1.0 PR so it should get better.
If you decide to change from FP do it sooner, rather than later, as I had
to change every page.

Arne

Once said:
I used to use Frontpage, but was warned off it by the HTML police because
it adds heaps of unnecessary stuff.

The same can bee said about NOF, e.g. what is a "NOF_STYLE_SHEET" and
"BODY NOF". And what does "NOF=TE" or "NOF=NB_UYVCNY120" do in a table? :)
I currently use Nvu (free-standing son of Composer
http://www.nvu.com/).

I don't use Composer (or any other WYSIWYG), but I belive Nvu is a
better choise, since it will be developed further and Composer is not.

<snip>

--
/Arne

are replying to, no more and no less! And don't
quote signatures, thank you.

Animesh Kumar

Jim said:
I used to use Frontpage, but was warned off it by the HTML police because
it adds heaps of unnecessary stuff.
I currently use Nvu (free-standing son of Composer http://www.nvu.com/). It
is easy to use and only adds unnecessary crap now and then, which is easily
checked with its built in validator link.
There is no doubt that FP was more sophisticated, but Nvu is only at
version 1.0 PR so it should get better.
If you decide to change from FP do it sooner, rather than later, as I had
to change every page.

My recommendation is to use CSS with GVIM (emacs) editor. It is very
easy to change or define formatting of 100s of pages with common CSS
style, though it takes a while to learn it (~1 month on part time basis).

I used to use frontpage for about two years; It takes hours to get
something sensible in front-page (and yeah not to mention every line has
font-color, margin, padding, font-style, width, length marked up
unnecessarily).

best regards,
Animesh

Leonard Blaisdell

I used to use Frontpage, but was warned off it by the HTML police because
it adds heaps of unnecessary stuff.

Do you feel that you got good or bad advice from the HTML police?

leo

Jim Scott

Do you feel that you got good or bad advice from the HTML police?

leo

I'm not sure.
My pages all validate with W3C and that makes me feel good, but whether it
makes any difference in real terms I do not have enough know-how to tell.
I get the feeling that I have just tidied the inside of my car. It don't go
any better but my wife approves.

Els

Jim said:
I'm not sure.
My pages all validate with W3C and that makes me feel good, but whether it
makes any difference in real terms I do not have enough know-how to tell.
I get the feeling that I have just tidied the inside of my car. It don't go
any better but my wife approves.

Sounds like a good enough reason ;-)

Uncle Pirate

darren said:
could someone advise me on the best
Best Free WYSIWYG HTML Editors

No such thing.

You can find WYSIWYG IE editors or WYSIWYG most other browser editors.
But even then, what is output is going to look different in my browser
on my computer than what you see on yours as you edit it. Forget
WYSIWYG and learn HTML and CSS. Then you might be able to output pages
that are WYWISTWYG (What You Want Is Similar To What You Get).

Coordinator, Tularosa Basin Chapter, ABATE of NM; AMA#758681; COBB
'94 1500 Vulcan (now wrecked) :( http://motorcyclefun.org/Dcp_2068c.jpg

Grady McGhee

Did you turn off the FrontPage extensions and use any of the theme or bots.
That will give you fairly clean code.

Joined
May 25, 2009
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Sooo in the same vein. I am creating craigslist.org ads and would like my client to be able to edit text and images using a simple WYSIWYG, It basically needs to edit text and images. K.I.S.S. - you know what I mean. I am going to check out the recommendations above but if anyone has a great suggestion for this type of specific use I am all ears.