    Linux OS, and the Mac OS.

    Thanks in advance,
    Dan
    chewie54, Aug 17, 2007

  2. chewie54 wrote:
    > What would be the best cross-platform GUI library to use for a vector
    > based CAD program ( something like Visio on Windows ) WxWidgets,
    > Tk, PyQt, Java Swing, Java SWT,???? I need the capibility to
    > draw and edit in a window that looks like a page of paper so WYSIWYG
    > is very important, and I need to save the drawings in vector based
    > file formats like PS, EPS, SVG, as well as image formats like jpg,
    > png, and gif. Also, the images need to be high resolution so that
    > they can be pasted into various other programs in Windows OS, and
    > Linux OS, and the Mac OS.

    You might actually consider asking in the 'comp.graphics' hierarchy
    instead of the language newsgroups.

    Victor Bazarov, Aug 17, 2007

  3. chewie54

    chewie54 Guest

    On Aug 17, 9:45 am, "Victor Bazarov" <> wrote:
    > chewie54 wrote:
    > > What would be the best cross-platform GUI library to use for a vector
    > > based CAD program ( something like Visio on Windows ) WxWidgets,
    > > Tk, PyQt, Java Swing, Java SWT,???? I need the capibility to
    > > draw and edit in a window that looks like a page of paper so WYSIWYG
    > > is very important, and I need to save the drawings in vector based
    > > file formats like PS, EPS, SVG, as well as image formats like jpg,
    > > png, and gif. Also, the images need to be high resolution so that
    > > they can be pasted into various other programs in Windows OS, and
    > > Linux OS, and the Mac OS.

    > You might actually consider asking in the 'comp.graphics' hierarchy
    > instead of the language newsgroups.

    That group doesn't seem to be active anymore.
    chewie54, Aug 17, 2007
  4. chewie54

    Guest

    On Aug 17, 8:27 am, chewie54 <> wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > What would be the best cross-platform GUI library to use for a vector
    > based CAD program ( something like Visio on Windows ) WxWidgets,
    > Tk, PyQt, Java Swing, Java SWT,???? I need the capibility to
    > draw and edit in a window that looks like a page of paper so WYSIWYG
    > is very important, and I need to save the drawings in vector based
    > file formats like PS, EPS, SVG, as well as image formats like jpg,
    > png, and gif. Also, the images need to be high resolution so that
    > they can be pasted into various other programs in Windows OS, and
    > Linux OS, and the Mac OS.
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Dan

    I think wxPython in conjunction with PIL and/or matplotlib could work.
    I'm pretty sure the people on the wxPython user's list have done
    vector graphics using those other libraries.

    Mike
    , Aug 17, 2007
  5. chewie54

    Mark Bluemel Guest

    chewie54 wrote:
    > On Aug 17, 9:45 am, "Victor Bazarov" <> wrote:
    >> chewie54 wrote:
    >>> What would be the best cross-platform GUI library to use for a vector
    >>> based CAD program ( something like Visio on Windows )

    <snip>
    >> You might actually consider asking in the 'comp.graphics' hierarchy
    >> instead of the language newsgroups.

    > That group doesn't seem to be active anymore.

    Victor talked about a hierarchy, not a specific group.

    Try http://groups.google.co.uk/groups/dir?&sel=33583999&expand=1
    Mark Bluemel, Aug 17, 2007
  6. chewie54

    Guest

    I used wxWidgets for a work like that. I found it quite easy to use and
    I found simple to create a Gui with wxdev which is quite rad.
    bye
    Pier Paolo
    , Aug 17, 2007
  7. chewie54

    chewie54 Guest

    On Aug 17, 9:27 am, chewie54 <> wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > What would be the best cross-platform GUI library to use for a vector
    > based CAD program ( something like Visio on Windows ) WxWidgets,
    > Tk, PyQt, Java Swing, Java SWT,???? I need the capibility to
    > draw and edit in a window that looks like a page of paper so WYSIWYG
    > is very important, and I need to save the drawings in vector based
    > file formats like PS, EPS, SVG, as well as image formats like jpg,
    > png, and gif. Also, the images need to be high resolution so that
    > they can be pasted into various other programs in Windows OS, and
    > Linux OS, and the Mac OS.
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Dan

    Also, I forgot to mention that it must have scripting capabilities so
    and I would like to embed a Tcl or Python interpreter.
    chewie54, Aug 17, 2007
  8. chewie54 wrote:

    > What would be the best cross-platform GUI library to use for a vector
    > based CAD program ( something like Visio on Windows ) WxWidgets,
    > Tk, PyQt, Java Swing, Java SWT,???? I need the capibility to
    > draw and edit in a window that looks like a page of paper so WYSIWYG
    > is very important, and I need to save the drawings in vector based
    > file formats like PS, EPS, SVG, as well as image formats like jpg,
    > png, and gif. Also, the images need to be high resolution so that
    > they can be pasted into various other programs in Windows OS, and
    > Linux OS, and the Mac OS.

    PyQt/Qt4 is capable of that (SVG export was added in Qt4.3).

    I have a graph drawing application based around it (Veusz).

    If you base everything around QPainter, you'll be able to write to any of
    those output formats (including eps and pdf), and bitmaps. Antialiasing is
    optional for bitmap formats.

    Jeremy

    --
    Jeremy Sanders
    http://www.jeremysanders.net/
    Jeremy Sanders, Aug 17, 2007
  9. chewie54

    chewie54 Guest

    On Aug 17, 12:07 pm, chewie54 <> wrote:
    > On Aug 17, 9:27 am, chewie54 <> wrote:
    >
    > > Hello,

    > > What would be the best cross-platform GUI library to use for a vector
    > > based CAD program ( something like Visio on Windows ) WxWidgets,
    > > Tk, PyQt, Java Swing, Java SWT,???? I need the capibility to
    > > draw and edit in a window that looks like a page of paper so WYSIWYG
    > > is very important, and I need to save the drawings in vector based
    > > file formats like PS, EPS, SVG, as well as image formats like jpg,
    > > png, and gif. Also, the images need to be high resolution so that
    > > they can be pasted into various other programs in Windows OS, and
    > > Linux OS, and the Mac OS.

    > > Thanks in advance,
    > > Dan

    > Also, I forgot to mention that it must have scripting capabilities so
    > and I would like to embed a Tcl or Python interpreter.

    I should have also mentioned that is for a commercial application.
    That
    doesn't rule Qt or PyQt out, but this is a startup company with very
    little income so my first choice would be to use some GUI library
    that
    is free to use for commercial apps.

    Thanks again,
    Dan
    chewie54, Aug 17, 2007
  10. chewie54 wrote on 17.08.2007 15:27:
    > Hello,
    >
    > What would be the best cross-platform GUI library to use for a vector
    > based CAD program ( something like Visio on Windows ) WxWidgets,
    > Tk, PyQt, Java Swing, Java SWT,???? I need the capibility to
    > draw and edit in a window that looks like a page of paper so WYSIWYG
    > is very important, and I need to save the drawings in vector based
    > file formats like PS, EPS, SVG, as well as image formats like jpg,
    > png, and gif. Also, the images need to be high resolution so that
    > they can be pasted into various other programs in Windows OS, and
    > Linux OS, and the Mac OS.

    The NetBeans Platform offers a nice module for this. NetBeans itself uses it for
    UML, BPEL and ERD modelling and other features (such as the visual XSD editor)

    http://platform.netbeans.org/
    http://graph.netbeans.org/

    Thomas
    Thomas Kellerer, Aug 17, 2007
  11. chewie54

    sturlamolden Guest

    On Aug 17, 3:27 pm, chewie54 <> wrote:

    > What would be the best cross-platform GUI library to use for a vector
    > based CAD program

    I suggest you use different toolkits for windowing (GUI widgets) and
    drawing the vector graphics.

    It does not really matter which toolkit you use for windowing.
    wxPython looks good on many platforms and are free. So it PyGTK.

    For vector graphics part I suggest PyCairo, AggDraw or OpenGL,
    depending on your need.

    PIL and NumPy are also essential if you will be working with images
    sturlamolden, Aug 19, 2007
  12. chewie54

    Guest

    Hi All,

    Today I have downloaded a SWT Software which is great to its features.
    You can learn
    many GUI details out of it. The basic functionality is it lists IP
    Addresses of the
    remote PC's your system is accessing.

    You may find the project under sourceforge.net

    http://sourceforge.net/projects/nettymaster

    You can customize this software, please let me know your views
    , Aug 20, 2007

  14. chewie54

    Mats Guest

  15. chewie54

    Guest

    On Aug 17, 3:27 pm, chewie54 <> wrote:

    > What would be the best cross-platform GUI library to use for a vector
    > based CAD program ( something like Visio on Windows ) WxWidgets,
    > Tk, PyQt, Java Swing, Java SWT,???? I need the capibility to
    > draw and edit in a window that looks like a page of paper so WYSIWYG
    > is very important, and I need to save the drawings in vector based
    > file formats like PS, EPS, SVG, as well as image formats like jpg,
    > png, and gif. Also, the images need to be high resolution so that
    > they can be pasted into various other programs in Windows OS, and
    > Linux OS, and the Mac OS.

    You could use pythoncad (www.pythoncad.org) as a base and develop it
    further, or even contract its main developer to expand its features to
    fulfill your needs and improve it. It's based on the GTK+ toolkit,
    written in python and has scripting capabilities. IMHO, it's the most
    promising free CAD effort around though even if it's not as mature as
    QCad.
    You could use it in commercial applications as long as you comply with
    the GPL, or the author agrees to dual license it for you, but it would
    be very welcome if the improvements are avaliable for all users.

    Regards,

    Rafael
    , Aug 20, 2007
  16. chewie54

    Roedy Green Guest

    >What would be the best cross-platform GUI library to use for a vector
    >based CAD program ( something like Visio on Windows )

    I don't know about he best, but I have collected a list of them at
    http://mindprod.com/jgloss/graph.html
    --
    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    The Java Glossary
    Roedy Green, Aug 20, 2007
  17. Roedy Green wrote:
    >> What would be the best cross-platform GUI library to use for a vector
    >> based CAD program ( something like Visio on Windows )

    > I don't know about he best, but I have collected a list of them at
    > http://mindprod.com/jgloss/graph.html

    Roedy,

    you might want to add NetBeans' Graph library to the list. It is very
    similar to Eclipse's GEF

    http://graph.netbeans.org/

    Thomas
    Thomas Kellerer, Aug 20, 2007
  18. chewie54

    chewie54 Guest

    On Aug 20, 3:04 am, Mats <> wrote:
    > If you want to stay within Tcl/Tk you could take a look at my tkpath
    > package:http://tclbitprint.sf.net/
    > and shots:http://tclbitprint.sourceforge.net/...print.sourceforge.net/tkpath/cairo/index.html
    >
    > Mats

    Very nice. Are all the features functional? I was reading that Cairo
    is cross-platform so can I use your tkpath package with Cairo for all
    the platforms?

    Have you implemented the save as pdf, ps, and svg vector file
    formats?

    Thanks for your feedback.
    Dan
    chewie54, Aug 20, 2007