Best GUI Toolkit for a Project

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Bill Atkins, May 7, 2004.

  1. Bill Atkins

    Bill Atkins Guest

    I'm about to start work on a project to implement a graphical instant
    messaging client in Ruby, but I'm having a tough time figuring out
    what toolkit to choose. I would need a toolkit that meets the
    following criteria:

    1 small footprint and download size
    2 has a tree control that allows me to specify fonts for individual
    items
    3 nice programming interface
    4 works well on X and Win32
    5 antialiasing is a plus

    I looked at Tk, but can't figure out how to get trees to work. Also,
    it's memory footprint is larger than FOX's. However, Tk is a smaller
    download and I like its programming interface. It also works fairly
    well on both Win32 and X.

    FOX has a small memory footprint, but is several times larger than Tk.
    Also, its tree control doesn't allow the programmer to set fonts for
    individual widgets. It lacks Tk's Text widget as well, although
    FXScintilla seems like it might be a good substitute for that.

    I haven't looked into wxRuby or Gtk much.

    What toolkit would be best suited for this?

    Thanks,
    Bill Atkins

    Bill Atkins, May 7, 2004

  2. Le Thu, 06 May 2004 16:14:59 -0700, Bill Atkins a écrit :

    > I'm about to start work on a project to implement a graphical instant
    > messaging client in Ruby, but I'm having a tough time figuring out
    > what toolkit to choose.

    Try Glade, it saves the GUI in an XML file which you can load with the
    Glade API. It's what I use on my project and it's great.

    --
    Florent "flure" C.
    Décrypter l'@ pour répondre

    Florent 'flure' C., May 7, 2004

  3. > I looked at Tk, but can't figure out how to get trees to work.

    If you read Python you can look at the source code for Leo:

    http://webpages.charter.net/edreamleo/front.html

    There is code there for a Tk tree widget. It's also a nice program BTW.

    // Niklas

    Niklas Frykholm, May 7, 2004