best GUI toolkit for windows/OSX

e deleflie

I'm developing a simple little application (with a GUI) in Ruby (newb
status). Needs to run windows and OSX (and later on linux).

So far I've been building it with tcl tk ... but I'm wondering if there's an
other GUI toolkit that is perhaps smaller and easier to bundle (cross
platform) with my little app?

Etienne

Victor Reyes

A google search as in: "*GUI toolkit" "Ruby"* turned *52,100 hits*.

e deleflie

A google search as in: "*GUI toolkit" "Ruby"* turned *52,100 hits*.

which is precisely why I ask the question on a list...

if you are saying that I should take my question elsewhere... please let me
know of a more appropriate list.

Etienne

Victor Reyes

No, No. I'm sorry if I did not explain myself. Please accept my apologies if
I upset you.
All questions are valid here. I was only pointing you to a starting point,
just in case that you had not done so.
Furthermore, sometimes you can find your answer quicker from past posts than
waiting for someone to answer.
GUI Toolkits for Ruby comes up at least once a week.

Thanks

Victor

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

e said:
Hi,

I'm developing a simple little application (with a GUI) in Ruby (newb
status). Needs to run windows and OSX (and later on linux).

So far I've been building it with tcl tk ... but I'm wondering if there's an
other GUI toolkit that is perhaps smaller and easier to bundle (cross
platform) with my little app?

Etienne

My recollection is that wxWindows is the closest to "native" look and
feel of all the GUI toolkits that Ruby supports. As far as other factors
-- ease of use, compactness, etc. -- I think they're all pretty much the
same, although for "professional" GUI application development, I think
Qt is the best-engineered and Gtk+ is a very close second.

That said, if Tcl/Tk is working for you, I wouldn't spend a lot of
energy looking at the others. There's a cost in switching, and as far as
I know there aren't any "translators" from one tool kit to another. They
all have different application design frameworks, different interfaces,
and varying levels of documentation and support for the Ruby bindings.

Tommy Nordgren

Hi,

I'm developing a simple little application (with a GUI) in Ruby (newb
status). Needs to run windows and OSX (and later on linux).

So far I've been building it with tcl tk ... but I'm wondering if
there's an
other GUI toolkit that is perhaps smaller and easier to bundle (cross
platform) with my little app?

Etienne
One of your options is to write a Wrapper ruby package for QT from
TrollTech.
It's a commercial package, but is available under GPL for open-source
projects.

Jari Williamsson

Tommy said:
One of your options is to write a Wrapper ruby package for QT from
TrollTech.
It's a commercial package, but is available under GPL for open-source
projects.

...or use the already-available Ruby/Qt.

Best regards,

Jari Williamsson

Matthew Harris

e said:
Hi,

I'm developing a simple little application (with a GUI) in Ruby (newb
status). Needs to run windows and OSX (and later on linux).

So far I've been building it with tcl tk ... but I'm wondering if there's an
other GUI toolkit that is perhaps smaller and easier to bundle (cross
platform) with my little app?

Etienne
wxRuby (Ruby bindings for wxWidgets) is the best out there currently for
cross-platform (obviously native widgets) and stability.

As far as the ease of bundling it, it's usually just a matter of running
a gem command.