    create projects with user forms, for Linux?

    Are there any alternatives to Microsoft Visual Studio for creating Windows
    based C++ projects with forms?

    James, Apr 17, 2011

  2. * James, on 17.04.2011 01:09:
    > Can anyone suggest a best IDE with a form designer I can use with C++ to
    > create projects with user forms, for Linux?

    Code::Blocks reportedly works nicely also in Linux.

    I have only used it in Windows, and I've not used the designers, but it feels
    OK. And it supports debugging well.

    During the last half year or so I've seen more and more people also recommending
    Qt designer (or whatever it's called). Reportedly it can function also as an
    ordinary IDE. Or thereabouts.

    > Are there any alternatives to Microsoft Visual Studio for creating Windows
    > based C++ projects with forms?

    Code::Blocks

    Cheers & hth.,

    - Alf

    Alf P. Steinbach /Usenet, Apr 17, 2011

  3. * Alf P. Steinbach /Usenet, on 17.04.2011 01:24:
    > * James, on 17.04.2011 01:09:
    >> Can anyone suggest a best IDE with a form designer I can use with C++ to
    >> create projects with user forms, for Linux?

    > Code::Blocks reportedly works nicely also in Linux.
    >
    > I have only used it in Windows, and I've not used the designers, but it feels
    > OK. And it supports debugging well.
    >
    > During the last half year or so I've seen more and more people also recommending
    > Qt designer (or whatever it's called). Reportedly it can function also as an
    > ordinary IDE. Or thereabouts.
    >

    >> Are there any alternatives to Microsoft Visual Studio for creating Windows
    >> based C++ projects with forms?

    > Code::Blocks

    Oh sorry, if you mean specifically .NET-based winforms (or whatever they're
    called), then I think Code::Blocks doesn't support that, yet.

    But for that specific thing I'd instead use C# and SharpDevelop IDE.

    Cheers & hth.,

    - Alf

    Alf P. Steinbach /Usenet, Apr 17, 2011
  4. James

    James Guest

    "Alf P. Steinbach /Usenet" <> wrote in
    message news:iod8gs$c8l$...
    >* Alf P. Steinbach /Usenet, on 17.04.2011 01:24:
    >> * James, on 17.04.2011 01:09:
    >>> Can anyone suggest a best IDE with a form designer I can use with C++ to
    >>> create projects with user forms, for Linux?

    >> Code::Blocks reportedly works nicely also in Linux.
    >>
    >> I have only used it in Windows, and I've not used the designers, but it
    >> feels
    >> OK. And it supports debugging well.
    >>
    >> During the last half year or so I've seen more and more people also
    >> recommending
    >> Qt designer (or whatever it's called). Reportedly it can function also as
    >> an
    >> ordinary IDE. Or thereabouts.
    >>

    >>> Are there any alternatives to Microsoft Visual Studio for creating
    >>> Windows
    >>> based C++ projects with forms?

    >> Code::Blocks

    > Oh sorry, if you mean specifically .NET-based winforms (or whatever
    > they're called), then I think Code::Blocks doesn't support that, yet.
    >
    > But for that specific thing I'd instead use C# and SharpDevelop IDE.
    >

    > Cheers & hth.,
    >
    > - Alf
    >
    > --
    > blog at <url: http://alfps.wordpress.com>

    I have Code Blocks 8.02 (Windows). I haven't seen anything in it about form
    design.
    Would the form designer be a Plug-in or add-on?

    James, Apr 17, 2011
  5. * James, on 17.04.2011 04:51:

    > I have Code Blocks 8.02 (Windows). I haven't seen anything in it about form
    > design.
    > Would the form designer be a Plug-in or add-on?

    There is at least a GUI designer for wxWindows, see e.g.

    http://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=WxSmith_tutorial:_Hello_world

    It's an extension.

    I don't know the difference between "Plug-in" and "add-on".

    As I wrote I haven't used this so I don't know from first hand experience, but
    apparently the wxWindows designer is not a RAD tool.

    I do know from first-hand experience that SharpDevelop has RAD support for .NET
    Windows Forms. And is pretty compatible with Visual Studio (project files). But
    then you'd be using e.g. C#.

    Cheers & hth.,

    - Alf

    Alf P. Steinbach /Usenet, Apr 17, 2011
  6. James

    James Guest

    "Alf P. Steinbach /Usenet" <> wrote in
    message news:iodn58$is8$...
    >* James, on 17.04.2011 04:51:
    >>
    >> I have Code Blocks 8.02 (Windows). I haven't seen anything in it about
    >> form
    >> design.
    >> Would the form designer be a Plug-in or add-on?

    > There is at least a GUI designer for wxWindows, see e.g.
    >
    > http://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=WxSmith_tutorial:_Hello_world
    >
    > It's an extension.
    >
    > I don't know the difference between "Plug-in" and "add-on".
    >
    > As I wrote I haven't used this so I don't know from first hand experience,
    > but apparently the wxWindows designer is not a RAD tool.
    >
    > I do know from first-hand experience that SharpDevelop has RAD support for
    > .NET Windows Forms. And is pretty compatible with Visual Studio (project
    > files). But then you'd be using e.g. C#.
    >
    > Cheers & hth.,
    >
    > - Alf
    >
    > --
    > blog at <url: http://alfps.wordpress.com>

    That link returns this error:
    Database error
    A database error has occurred
    Query: SELECT lc_value FROM `l10n_cache` WHERE lc_lang = 'en' AND lc_key =
    'deps' LIMIT 1
    Function: LCStore_DB::get
    Error: 1146 Table 'codeblo_wiki.l10n_cache' doesn't exist (localhost)

    James, Apr 17, 2011
  7. James

    Virchanza Guest

    On Apr 17, 12:09 am, "James" <> wrote:
    > Can anyone suggest a best IDE with a form designer I can use with C++ to
    > create projects with user forms, for Linux?
    >
    > Are there any alternatives to Microsoft Visual Studio for creating Windows
    > based C++ projects with forms?

    I'd go with Code::Blocks for the GUI, wxWidgets for the application
    framework, and wxFormBuilder for designing the forms.

    Here's one project I managed to put together using these tools:

    http://virjacode.com/projects/dynamo

    Virchanza, Apr 20, 2011
  8. James

    Virchanza Guest

    On Apr 20, 2:09 am, Virchanza wrote:

    > I'd go with Code::Blocks for the GUI, wxWidgets for the application
    > framework, and wxFormBuilder for designing the forms.

    One other thing, all 3 of these tools are available for Linux, MS-
    Windows, and Mac OS.

    Virchanza, Apr 20, 2011
  9. James

    Öö Tiib Guest

    On Apr 17, 4:23 pm, "James" <> wrote:
    > "Alf P. Steinbach /Usenet" <> wrote in
    > messagenews:iodn58$is8$...
    >

    > > There is at least a GUI designer for wxWindows, see e.g.

    > >  http://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=WxSmith_tutorial:_Hello_world

    > That link returns this error:
    > Database error
    > A database error has occurred
    > Query: SELECT lc_value FROM `l10n_cache` WHERE lc_lang = 'en' AND lc_key =
    > 'deps' LIMIT 1
    > Function: LCStore_DB::get
    > Error: 1146 Table 'codeblo_wiki.l10n_cache' doesn't exist (localhost)

    Link seems to work and display a wiki page. At least with the two
    browsers (Safari and Google Chrome) that i got here.

    Öö Tiib, Apr 20, 2011