Best IDE for C++ projects using forms, Linux

James

Can anyone suggest a best IDE with a form designer I can use with C++ to
create projects with user forms, for Linux?

Are there any alternatives to Microsoft Visual Studio for creating Windows
based C++ projects with forms?

Alf P. Steinbach /Usenet

* James, on 17.04.2011 01:09:
Can anyone suggest a best IDE with a form designer I can use with C++ to
create projects with user forms, for Linux?

Code::Blocks reportedly works nicely also in Linux.

I have only used it in Windows, and I've not used the designers, but it feels
OK. And it supports debugging well.

During the last half year or so I've seen more and more people also recommending
Qt designer (or whatever it's called). Reportedly it can function also as an
ordinary IDE. Or thereabouts.

Are there any alternatives to Microsoft Visual Studio for creating Windows
based C++ projects with forms?

Code::Blocks

Cheers & hth.,

- Alf

Alf P. Steinbach /Usenet

* Alf P. Steinbach /Usenet, on 17.04.2011 01:24:
* James, on 17.04.2011 01:09:

Code::Blocks reportedly works nicely also in Linux.

I have only used it in Windows, and I've not used the designers, but it feels
OK. And it supports debugging well.

During the last half year or so I've seen more and more people also recommending
Qt designer (or whatever it's called). Reportedly it can function also as an
ordinary IDE. Or thereabouts.

Code::Blocks

Oh sorry, if you mean specifically .NET-based winforms (or whatever they're
called), then I think Code::Blocks doesn't support that, yet.

But for that specific thing I'd instead use C# and SharpDevelop IDE.

Cheers & hth.,

- Alf

James

Alf P. Steinbach /Usenet said:
* Alf P. Steinbach /Usenet, on 17.04.2011 01:24:

Oh sorry, if you mean specifically .NET-based winforms (or whatever
they're called), then I think Code::Blocks doesn't support that, yet.

But for that specific thing I'd instead use C# and SharpDevelop IDE.

Cheers & hth.,

- Alf

I have Code Blocks 8.02 (Windows). I haven't seen anything in it about form
design.
Would the form designer be a Plug-in or add-on?

Alf P. Steinbach /Usenet

* James, on 17.04.2011 04:51:
I have Code Blocks 8.02 (Windows). I haven't seen anything in it about form
design.
Would the form designer be a Plug-in or add-on?

There is at least a GUI designer for wxWindows, see e.g.

http://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=WxSmith_tutorial:_Hello_world

It's an extension.

I don't know the difference between "Plug-in" and "add-on".

As I wrote I haven't used this so I don't know from first hand experience, but
apparently the wxWindows designer is not a RAD tool.

I do know from first-hand experience that SharpDevelop has RAD support for .NET
Windows Forms. And is pretty compatible with Visual Studio (project files). But
then you'd be using e.g. C#.

Cheers & hth.,

- Alf

James

Alf P. Steinbach /Usenet said:
* James, on 17.04.2011 04:51:

There is at least a GUI designer for wxWindows, see e.g.

http://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=WxSmith_tutorial:_Hello_world

It's an extension.

I don't know the difference between "Plug-in" and "add-on".

As I wrote I haven't used this so I don't know from first hand experience,
but apparently the wxWindows designer is not a RAD tool.

I do know from first-hand experience that SharpDevelop has RAD support for
.NET Windows Forms. And is pretty compatible with Visual Studio (project
files). But then you'd be using e.g. C#.

Cheers & hth.,

- Alf

That link returns this error:
Database error
A database error has occurred
Query: SELECT lc_value FROM `l10n_cache` WHERE lc_lang = 'en' AND lc_key =
'deps' LIMIT 1
Function: LCStore_DB::get
Error: 1146 Table 'codeblo_wiki.l10n_cache' doesn't exist (localhost)

Virchanza

Can anyone suggest a best IDE with a form designer I can use with C++ to
create projects with user forms, for Linux?

Are there any alternatives to Microsoft Visual Studio for creating Windows
based C++ projects with forms?

I'd go with Code::Blocks for the GUI, wxWidgets for the application
framework, and wxFormBuilder for designing the forms.

Here's one project I managed to put together using these tools:

http://virjacode.com/projects/dynamo

Virchanza

I'd go with Code::Blocks for the GUI, wxWidgets for the application
framework, and wxFormBuilder for designing the forms.

One other thing, all 3 of these tools are available for Linux, MS-
Windows, and Mac OS.

Öö Tiib

message

That link returns this error:
Database error
A database error has occurred
Query: SELECT lc_value FROM `l10n_cache` WHERE lc_lang = 'en' AND lc_key =
'deps' LIMIT 1
Function: LCStore_DB::get
Error: 1146 Table 'codeblo_wiki.l10n_cache' doesn't exist (localhost)

Link seems to work and display a wiki page. At least with the two
browsers (Safari and Google Chrome) that i got here.