    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    It is only people of small moral stature who have to stand on their
    dignity.

    AJay Maurya, Sep 4, 2007

  2. On Tuesday 04 September 2007 10:31:23 AJay Maurya wrote:
    > Hi All
    >
    > Could anyone tell me which is best IDE for ruby and rails development.
    > at least we can know features of IDEs that other ruby people are using

    http://aptana.com or eclipse with aptana and rad rails plugins.

    Best regards,
    Arthur Murauskas.

    Arthur Murauskas, Sep 4, 2007

  3. AJay Maurya wrote:
    > Hi All
    >
    > Could anyone tell me which is best IDE for ruby and rails development.
    > at least we can know features of IDEs that other ruby people are using
    >

    > cheers
    >
    > Jeet

    Increasingly, I'm using NetBeans for Ruby and RoR. On the other hand,
    for Windows apps using Ruby, I'm using WideStudio (it supports a lot of
    other platforms too).

    Mohit Sindhwani, Sep 4, 2007
  4. AJay Maurya

    dima Guest

    On Sep 4, 10:15 am, Mohit Sindhwani <> wrote:
    > AJay Maurya wrote:
    > > Hi All

    > > Could anyone tell me which is best IDE for ruby and rails development.
    > > at least we can know features of IDEs that other ruby people are using

    > > cheers

    > > Jeet

    > Increasingly, I'm using NetBeans for Ruby and RoR. On the other hand,
    > for Windows apps using Ruby, I'm using WideStudio (it supports a lot of
    > other platforms too).

    As said so many times Aptana and eclipse on XP and Linux.

    dima, Sep 4, 2007
  5. AJay Maurya

    AJay Maurya Guest

    I am still confused which IDE to choose among freeride, aptana,
    radrails ,netbeans which is most feature rich ?

    On Tue, 2007-09-04 at 17:15 +0900, Arthur Murauskas wrote:
    > On Tuesday 04 September 2007 10:31:23 AJay Maurya wrote:
    > > Hi All
    > >
    > > Could anyone tell me which is best IDE for ruby and rails development.
    > > at least we can know features of IDEs that other ruby people are using

    > http://aptana.com or eclipse with aptana and rad rails plugins.
    >
    > Best regards,
    > Arthur Murauskas.

    Cheers
    Jeet

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The POP3 server service depends on the SMTP server service, which failed
    to start because of the following error: The operation completed
    successfully. -- Windows NT Server v3.51

    AJay Maurya, Sep 4, 2007
  6. AJay Maurya

    AJay Maurya Guest

    I am still confused which IDE to choose among freeride, aptana,
    radrails ,netbeans which is most feature rich ?

    On Tue, 2007-09-04 at 17:15 +0900, Arthur Murauskas wrote:
    > On Tuesday 04 September 2007 10:31:23 AJay Maurya wrote:
    > > Hi All
    > >
    > > Could anyone tell me which is best IDE for ruby and rails development.
    > > at least we can know features of IDEs that other ruby people are using

    > http://aptana.com or eclipse with aptana and rad rails plugins.
    >
    > Best regards,
    > Arthur Murauskas.

    Cheers
    Jeet

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    AJay Maurya, Sep 4, 2007
  7. IDEs are personal. You can use anything that works for you. I'd
    recommend trying out a couple. For the longest time, i was just using a
    text editor with syntax highlighting for Ruby.

    Cheers,
    Mohit.
    9/4/2007 | 5:59 PM.

    Mohit Sindhwani, Sep 4, 2007
  8. AJay Maurya

    Phil Guest

    Amount of features != quality of IDE.

    My recommendation, as well as of others, download a few IDEs, and test drive
    them to find out with which one you are most comfortable. That will be the
    best IDE you can find: Yours.

    I personally use NetBeans[0], for work across multiple files, and SciTE[1]
    for quick-and-dirty scripts, and irb[2] for quick
    prototyping/proof-of-concept work.

    [0] http://deadlock.netbeans.org/hudson/job/ruby/ contains the build I use
    and frequently update.
    [1] http://www.scintilla.org/SciTE.html comes with the Windows
    Ruby-One-Click installer, and is crossplatform (I've used it on Windows and
    Linux)
    [2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interactive_Ruby_Shell Ruby's own shell

    --
    Phillip Gawlowski

    Phil, Sep 4, 2007
  9. AJay Maurya wrote:
    > I am still confused which IDE to choose among freeride, aptana,
    > radrails ,netbeans which is most feature rich ?

    Netbeans 6.0 is a better IDE. Have support to Ruby On Rails and Ruby.

    --
    Jonas Roberto de Goes Filho (sysdebug)
    http://goes.eti.br

    Jonas Roberto de Goes Filho (sysdebug), Sep 4, 2007
  10. AJay Maurya

    stephen O'D Guest

    On Sep 4, 1:10 pm, "Jonas Roberto de Goes Filho (sysdebug)"
    <> wrote:
    > AJay Maurya wrote:
    > > I am still confused which IDE to choose among freeride, aptana,
    > > radrails ,netbeans which is most feature rich ?

    > Netbeans 6.0 is a better IDE. Have support to Ruby On Rails and Ruby.
    >
    > --
    > Jonas Roberto de Goes Filho (sysdebug)http://goes.eti.br

    Emacs is always worth a shout - works the same on windows, linux,
    terminal and OS X and has good Ruby and Rails support. There is a bit
    of messing about to get it working though, but you can always read my
    tutorial: http://sodonnell.wordpress.com/the-emacs-newbie-guide-for-rails/
    if you are interested!

    stephen O'D, Sep 4, 2007
  11. AJay Maurya

    Kyle Schmitt Guest

    Not to divert the flow of thought at all but...
    has anyone successfully been able to integrate camping with NetBeans
    for development? I was playing with it this weekend, and ended up
    resorting to manually running camping from a terminal, instead of
    being able to launch it from NB.
    Hopefully it's just because I'm a netbeans noob!

    --Kyle

    Kyle Schmitt, Sep 4, 2007
  12. AJay Maurya

    Bill Plummer Guest

    This question comes up from time to time. My vote, if you have been
    using Microsoft Visual Studio, is the Ruby In Steel plugin for VS. It's
    not free, but well worth the price.

    http://www.sapphiresteel.com/

    Take a few minutes and view the videos if you want to see the product in
    action.

    http://www.sapphiresteel.com/Ruby-In-Steel-Movies

    Bill

    Bill Plummer, Sep 4, 2007

    M. Edward (Ed) Borasky, Sep 4, 2007
  14. On 9/4/07, Arthur Murauskas <> wrote:
    > On Tuesday 04 September 2007 10:31:23 AJay Maurya wrote:
    > > Hi All
    > >
    > > Could anyone tell me which is best IDE for ruby and rails development.
    > > at least we can know features of IDEs that other ruby people are using

    > http://aptana.com or eclipse with aptana and rad rails plugins.

    Personally I currently use vim with a bunch of plugins.

    I tried out radrails this weekend, but found that it just performs
    horribly on the hardware I've got available. Part of me thinks I
    SHOULD be using it since I actually worked on Eclipse and it's
    predecessors at IBM, but...

    I've got my eyes on a Macbook, hopefully in the not too distant
    future, so I'll probably follow the textmate herd.

    --
    Rick DeNatale

    My blog on Ruby
    http://talklikeaduck.denhaven2.com/

    Rick DeNatale, Sep 4, 2007
  15. AJay Maurya wrote:
    > Hi All
    >
    > Could anyone tell me which is best IDE for ruby and rails development.
    > at least we can know features of IDEs that other ruby people are using

    > cheers
    >
    > Jeet
    >
    > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    > It is only people of small moral stature who have to stand on their
    > dignity.

    I guess it depends on which OS your using. If your using MacOSX then I
    might recommend textmate, for windows there is a IDE that is very
    similar to textmate called "e" which works ok. The one I use and prefer
    though for windows, or linux is Komodo. It has a very nice color scheme
    editor and it allows you to make snippets for code short cuts along with
    a really cool Regexp helper tool. It also does smart formatting and auto
    completing.

    ~Jeremy

    Jeremy Woertink, Sep 4, 2007
  16. I do all my Rails programming in Komodo as well, but I'm also one
    of the developers on it. So when I see something isn't working well
    I can turn around quickly and put out a fix. The team has also
    implemented automatic updates, using the same mechanism that
    Firefox and Thunderbird use, since it's a Mozilla app as well.

    Komodo Edit is a free-as-in-beer version, and has all the basic
    Rails support except for a debugger. And while it isn't an
    open source project, most of it is implemented in Python,
    JavaScript, CSS, and XUL, and we ship all that, and accept
    patches.

    - Eric

    Eric Promislow, Sep 4, 2007
  17. AJay Maurya

    barabba Guest

    I use always Arachno IDE for ruby and also for rails development. It
    has a big potential but supports mainly windows (linux version is too
    old). Eclipse is for me too big. Vim and Emacs are complex to setup.

    barabba, Sep 4, 2007
  18. AJay Maurya

    Ari Brown Guest

    On Sep 4, 2007, at 3:46 AM, Thomas Preymesser wrote:

    > On 04/09/07, AJay Maurya <> wrote:
    >>

    >> Hi All
    >>
    >> Could anyone tell me which is best IDE for ruby and rails
    >> development.
    >> at least we can know features of IDEs that other ruby people are
    >> using

    > shell and vi

    Bah! echo and an empty file

    ---------------------------------------------------------------|
    ~Ari
    "I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it" --1337est
    man alive

    Ari Brown, Sep 4, 2007
  19. AJay Maurya

    Phil Guest

    Back in my day, we didn't have echos. And we liked it that way. ;)

    --
    Phillip Gawlowski

    Phil, Sep 4, 2007
  20. AJay Maurya

    Todd Johnson Guest

    They released a new version of the ruby plugin for intellij today. It
    adds a lot of functionality/features and comes with the stability and
    usability of intellij.

    you can download a trial of the next version of intellij here
    http://www.jetbrains.net/confluence/display/IDEADEV/Selena EAP

    The ruby plugin (v.0.2) can be found here
    http://www.jetbrains.net/confluence/display/RUBYDEV/IntelliJ IDEA Ruby Plugin

    make sure to give it a try. I find when doing rails apps i can "develop
    with pleasure!"

    Todd

    Todd Johnson, Sep 4, 2007