Best IDE for ruby and rails development

Chad Perrin

-----Original Message-----
From: AJay Maurya [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Tuesday, September 04, 2007 11:52 AM
To: ruby-talk ML
Subject: Best IDE for ruby and rails development

I am still confused which IDE to choose among freeride, aptana,
radrails ,netbeans which is most feature rich ?

Amount of features != quality of IDE.

My recommendation, as well as of others, download a few IDEs, and test drive
them to find out with which one you are most comfortable. That will be the
best IDE you can find: Yours.

I personally use NetBeans[0], for work across multiple files, and SciTE[1]
for quick-and-dirty scripts, and irb[2] for quick
prototyping/proof-of-concept work.

I mostly only use SciTE when trapped on MS Windows -- which raises the
question:

To what OS platform is this question meant to be relevant?

The answer to the question of what IDE is best (for you) may vary
depending on your OS environment.

Chad Perrin

I use always Arachno IDE for ruby and also for rails development. It
has a big potential but supports mainly windows (linux version is too
old). Eclipse is for me too big. Vim and Emacs are complex to setup.

I don't find Vim to be complex to set up at all. I do something like
this at the shell:

# portinstall vim

. . and in a few moments, it's set up. I wonder what complexities
you've encountered.

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Chad Perrin

I'll have to admit I'm used to vim, but I've never experienced tcsh. I
was a csh person for a long time (BSD 4.3 era -- *nobody* used the
Bourne shell and I don't even think the Korn shell existed.) But aside
from an occasional "foreach i in C?????? do; ....." I do everything even
remotely resembling programming in Perl, Ruby or R.

I do, too, for shell-like stuff (re: Perl and Ruby). I just use tcsh as
the environment that glues my "IDE" together.

Am I the only person here tempted to pronounce tcsh "taco shell"?

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Arthur Murauskas

Personally I currently use vim with a bunch of plugins.

I tried out radrails this weekend, but found that it just performs
horribly on the hardware I've got available. Part of me thinks I
SHOULD be using it since I actually worked on Eclipse and it's
predecessors at IBM, but...

I've got my eyes on a Macbook, hopefully in the not too distant
future, so I'll probably follow the textmate herd.

Yup, on my machine java needs about 200Mb of memory to feel fine.

Best regards,
Arthur Murauskas.

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky