Best IE6 sniff

Esa

There is a lot of hassle with "I hate IE6"-pages. I would like to put
a script on my page, I hate it too.

1] What is the script?
2] Is it worth it?

Esa

I got an answer immediately by my sisters sons good friend. He said to
put:

var suspect = document.getElementsByTagName("BODY")[0];
if(!suspect.style.maxHeight){
suspect.style.textDecoration = "blink";
}

Is this good?

Jeremy J Starcher

There is a lot of hassle with "I hate IE6"-pages. I would like to put a
script on my page, I hate it too.

1] What is the script?
2] Is it worth it?

I won't discuss the pros or cons of doing this.. but in short:

No script needed. Just use conditional comments.

David Mark

I got an answer immediately by my sisters sons good friend. He said to
put:

var suspect = document.getElementsByTagName("BODY")[0];
if(!suspect.style.maxHeight){
  suspect.style.textDecoration = "blink";

}

Is this good?

Quite the contrary. :)

Esa

No script needed.  Just use conditional comments.

Sorry, what are conditional comments? I know the basics about
JavaScript but this is the first time I see a term "conditional
comments". Are they are something to eat?

David Mark

There is a lot of hassle with "I hate IE6"-pages. I would like to put a
script on my page, I hate it too.
1] What is the script?
2] Is it worth it?

I won't discuss the pros or cons of doing this.. but in short:

Oh why not? It's completely nuts.
No script needed.  Just use conditional comments.

I suppose if you want to drive off users, many of whom won't get the
message, can't upgrade and/or won't like being told to do so by your
Web site.

Jeremy J Starcher

Sorry, what are conditional comments? I know the basics about JavaScript
but this is the first time I see a term "conditional comments". Are they
are something to eat?

David Mark is right that being told to upgrade will only annoy users.

Conditional Comments are an IE-only beast that turns out to be extremely
useful for IE-specific markup or scripts. Other browsers see them as
HTML comments and IE has the ability to parse them.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms537512(VS.85).aspx

Esa

Sorry about my weird welcome joking. This is my first time on this
forum.

I am serious that none of "hateIE6"-pages present a valid IE6 test.
That is why I came here. I need the test.

SAM

Le 9/15/09 9:41 PM, Esa a écrit :
Sorry about my weird welcome joking. This is my first time on this
forum.

I am serious that none of "hateIE6"-pages present a valid IE6 test.
That is why I came here. I need the test.

Have you been to see those "conditional comments" ?

With them you can :
- display a message only for IE (7, 6, 5.5, 5, this what you want)
or better :
- hide code not good for IE6
- show code that please to it

You can also use jScript or JavaScript (less recommended)

Detecting Internet Explorer More Effectively:
<http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms537509(VS.85).aspx>
by Conditional Comments:
<http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms537509(VS.85).aspx#UsingCCs>

RobG

There is a lot of hassle with "I hate IE6"-pages. I would like to put
a script on my page, I hate it too.

1] What is the script?

No script required, create an "I hate IE" banner and put it in the
page. Why only tell IE users that you hate IE?

2] Is it worth it?

It's "worth" it if the outcome achives the goal (whatever that might
be) at a cost you are prepared to pay (apparently not much or you'd
have hired someone to do it).

The cost of putting an "I hate IE" banner in a page is very small, the
outcome may not be what you expect and may result in a more
significant cost.