Best Java charting package? Thoughts?

Christian Bongiorno

It has been a while since I used a java charting package and I am sure
they have improved since then. The last I used was EasyCharts. It was
straight forward, cheap, well documented and would even convert your
chart to a .gif file with one line of code.

There are literally dozens of tools out there now -- all of which seem
decent.
Anyone have thoughts on this?

Christian

Oscar kind

Christian Bongiorno said:
It has been a while since I used a java charting package and I am sure
they have improved since then. The last I used was EasyCharts. It was
straight forward, cheap, well documented and would even convert your
chart to a .gif file with one line of code.

There are literally dozens of tools out there now -- all of which seem
decent.
Anyone have thoughts on this?

Personally, I've used Chart2D and jFreeChart, both licenced under the
LGPL. I like jFreeChart more, because of it's options. It's also much
bigger (more than three megs instead of little over half a meg).

Chart2D charts are a subclass of javax.swing.JComponent, and as such
require extra helpp to be converted to an image. Also, remember to start
java headless if there's no GUI available.

jFreeChart has a seperate subclass of javax.swing.JPanel to easily display
charts, and also a utility class that converts a chart into a PNG or JPG
image.

Oscar

?

=?iso-8859-2?q?Jacek_Sa=B3acki?=

It has been a while since I used a java charting package and I am sure
they have improved since then. The last I used was EasyCharts. It was
straight forward, cheap, well documented and would even convert your
chart to a .gif file with one line of code.

There are literally dozens of tools out there now -- all of which seem
decent.
Anyone have thoughts on this?

I have one: JFreeChart
I have been using other tool/package made by the same people -
JFreeReport. It's works quite weel and pleased with effects.
But: it is free(opensource), poor documented(it is biggest
disadvantage), may have some bugs. I think JFreeChart can exports to many
file formats and may have some other advantages.

Michael N. Christoff

Jacek Sa³acki said:
I have one: JFreeChart
I have been using other tool/package made by the same people -
JFreeReport. It's works quite weel and pleased with effects.
But: it is free(opensource), poor documented(it is biggest
disadvantage), may have some bugs. I think JFreeChart can exports to many
file formats and may have some other advantages.

So you're saying that the for-purchase docs are not good, or are you
referring to the free docs (ie: example programs, etc...).

l8r, Mike N. Christoff