Best Java IDE for Linux

Samir Madi

Hi all,

I just instaled de Ubuntu Feasty Fawn, and I´m lookin´ for a nice IDE
to use,
I like Eclipse, but it gets all my clocks and memory.

Give me your oppinion...

Mr. N. Marshall

Sideswipe said:
IntelliJ. It is nice to your CPU but it will eat your memory.
I use Eclipse 3.3 (Europa).

When I fire up Eclipse, I see that once the initial start up is done,
"top" doesn't show either the Eclipse executable, nor the Java.exe which
is used to run it.

However, you could also consider Netbeans 5.5.1 I believe you can
install it from Synaptic.

Twisted

IntelliJ. It is nice to your CPU but it will eat your memory.

WARNING: IntelliJ is not free. (As in speech or as in beer.)

Nice try with the giving sneaky advice to try to eventually sell
something Sideswipe. :p

Samir, I assume you don't want everyone sticking their hands in your
pocket. Try nicing Eclipse, and if that isn't good enough, Netbeans is
the other FOSS Java-oriented IDE and might be suitable.

Mike Schilling

Twisted said:
WARNING: IntelliJ is not free. (As in speech or as in beer.)

Nice try with the giving sneaky advice to try to eventually sell
something Sideswipe. :p

Samir, I assume you don't want everyone sticking their hands in your
pocket.

That may be a bad assumption. Some people are willing to pay for higher
quality. (Why pay for a room at that hotel , when you can sleep in the
doorway for free?)

Twisted

That may be a bad assumption. Some people are willing to pay for higher
quality. (Why pay for a room at that hotel , when you can sleep in the
doorway for free?)

Eclipse is *hardly* "sleeping in the doorway", or even at a run-down
motel. It *might* be a four-star hotel versus IntelliJ's five. And one
thing both you and the original peddler of commercial software
apparently failed to note is the "... for Linux" in the Subject:
header. :p Even if that expensive thing has a Linux port, Linux users
are generally looking for open source software in vast preference to
anything else, and frequently to the outright exclusion of anything
else.

Mike Schilling

Twisted said:
Eclipse is *hardly* "sleeping in the doorway", or even at a run-down
motel. It *might* be a four-star hotel versus IntelliJ's five.

I exaggerated for effect. CVS vs. Perforce, on the other hand ....
And one
thing both you and the original peddler of commercial software
apparently failed to note is the "... for Linux" in the Subject:
header. :p Even if that expensive thing has a Linux port, Linux users
are generally looking for open source software in vast preference to
anything else, and frequently to the outright exclusion of anything
else.

You mean Linux users will pay for games[1], but not for tools to let them
work more efficiently? Sounds daft to me.

1. E.g. http://www.lokigames.com/products/rt2/

Mike Schilling

Twisted said:
Why do you think that everyone who's anyone uses SVN now? ;)

Becuase they're cheap. From Wikipedia:

Subversion currently lacks proper repository administration and
management tools. That is,
while it is very capable when data is added to the repository, it is
much less capable at managing
the repository as a whole. For instance, it is sometimes necessary to
make permanent edits to the
repository to change the structure in which versions are held or to
permanently remove data that
was checked into the repository in error. Subversion does not have tools
which allow this to be done.
The check-in level tools allow files and directories to be moved or
deleted but earlier revisions will
always hold the data in the old structure or hold the file that was
deleted. The current solution to this
sort of problem involves 'dumping' the repository, editing the resulting
(possibly large) text file, and
then recreating the repository. For simple renaming or removal of files
this is fairly straight-forward,
but other alterations can be more complex and hence error-prone.

David Segall

Mike Schilling said:
Twisted said:
Eclipse is *hardly* "sleeping in the doorway", or even at a run-down
motel. It *might* be a four-star hotel versus IntelliJ's five.

I exaggerated for effect. CVS vs. Perforce, on the other hand ....
And one
thing both you and the original peddler of commercial software
apparently failed to note is the "... for Linux" in the Subject:
header. :p Even if that expensive thing has a Linux port, Linux users
are generally looking for open source software in vast preference to
anything else, and frequently to the outright exclusion of anything
else.

You mean Linux users will pay for games[1], but not for tools to let them
work more efficiently? Sounds daft to me.
Seems sensible to me. If Railroad Tycoon fails it is unlikely to cause
much grief. If a tool fails it could seriously affect a project.
Access to the source code usually enables a quick fix or workaround.

Twisted

Seems sensible to me. If Railroad Tycoon fails it is unlikely to cause
much grief. If a tool fails it could seriously affect a project.
Access to the source code usually enables a quick fix or workaround.

Not to mention that a closed source tool easily has open source
equivalents. A closed source game generally won't have open source
equivalents. An open source railroad game may exist but it won't be
entirely a substitute for Railroad Tycoon, for example. An open source
first-person shooter isn't going to be an exact replacement for Quake
4, and so forth.

Games are one area where closed source can still admittedly compete.