best laugh of the day

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Developwebsites, Dec 7, 2004.

  1. Developwebsites, Dec 7, 2004

  2. Developwebsites wrote:

    > http://www.stormytuesday.com
    >
    > enjoy!

    <lol>

    "our clients will find no infra in our structure [or our proposals]."

    ...or much else either.

    --
    -bts
    -This space intentionally left blank.
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Dec 7, 2004

  3. On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 21:49:15 +0000, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    > Developwebsites wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.stormytuesday.com
    >>
    >> enjoy!

    > <lol>
    >
    > "our clients will find no infra in our structure [or our proposals]."
    >
    > ..or much else either.

    I don't get it.

    What's wrong with that site?

    --
    Jeffrey Silverman

    ** Drop "PANTS" to reply by email
    Jeffrey Silverman, Dec 8, 2004
  4. Developwebsites

    rf Guest

    Jeffrey Silverman enquired:

    > >> http://www.stormytuesday.com

    > I don't get it.
    >
    > What's wrong with that site?

    Useless splash page.

    Opening the site in a new window. Without toolbars etc.

    Mystery meat navigation. The text in the mystery meat is totally impossible
    to read.

    Fly dropping sized text.

    Visually unappealing.

    Tables used for layout.

    Deprecated HTML used (<font> elements) resulting in totally bloated code.

    And lastly, written with Dreamweaver in it's "I'm have been let loose so I
    can do whatever I bloody want" mode, without any regard whatsoever for the
    rubbish HTML that is spewed out.

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.
    rf, Dec 8, 2004
  5. Developwebsites

    Duende Guest

    While sitting in a puddle rf scribbled in the mud:

    > Jeffrey Silverman enquired:

    >> I don't get it.
    >>
    >> What's wrong with that site?

    > Useless splash page.
    >
    > Opening the site in a new window. Without toolbars etc.
    >
    > Mystery meat navigation. The text in the mystery meat is totally
    > impossible to read.
    >
    > Fly dropping sized text.
    >
    > Visually unappealing.
    >
    > Tables used for layout.
    >
    > Deprecated HTML used (<font> elements) resulting in totally bloated
    > code.
    >
    > And lastly, written with Dreamweaver in it's "I'm have been let loose so
    > I can do whatever I bloody want" mode, without any regard whatsoever for
    > the rubbish HTML that is spewed out.

    Those were all the good things. Now please list the bad things.

    --
    Turtles have such tiny ears!
    Duende, Dec 8, 2004
  6. In article <Ihttd.63448$>,
    rf@.invalid says...
    > Jeffrey Silverman enquired:

    > > I don't get it.
    > >
    > > What's wrong with that site?

    > Useless splash page....

    And you dont think that each and every one those things was not planned?
    Look at the content. The entire design was created to do exactly what
    it does. It appeals to the eclectic. To those that think outside the
    box. Everything on your list of what is wrong with the site is
    meaningless to these people, and to any of their customers.

    Two thumbs up on the design. Sure the HTML sucks, it is not accessible
    to everyone, it has a pop up, and splash screen. Who cares, it is
    reaching the people they want to reach in the manner they want to be
    reached. isn't that what your web site is supposed to do?

    --
    -=*Tn*=-
    Travis Newbury, Dec 8, 2004
  7. Developwebsites

    Duende Guest

    While sitting in a puddle Travis Newbury scribbled in the mud:

    > Look at the content. The entire design was created to do exactly what
    > it does. It appeals to the eclectic. To those that think outside the
    > box.

    They need to be put back in their box.

    --
    Turtles have such tiny ears!
    Duende, Dec 8, 2004
  8. Developwebsites

    Philip Ronan Guest

    Travis Newbury wrote:

    > Who cares, it is
    > reaching the people they want to reach in the manner they want to be
    > reached.

    Uhmm, exactly *how* is this site reaching people?

    Their redesign has been online since the end of October, but because of the
    idiotic Javascript link on their splash page, Google hasn't found any of
    their new pages (in the "/white" subdirectory). See for yourself:

    <http://www.google.com/search?q=inurl%3Awww.stormytuesday.com%2Fwhite>

    Google has plenty of older pages cached, but they all come back with 404
    errors now because apparently these people didn't set up any redirects
    either.

    It's a pretty design, but utterly useless.

    --
    phil [dot] ronan @ virgin [dot] net
    http://vzone.virgin.net/phil.ronan/
    Philip Ronan, Dec 8, 2004
  9. Developwebsites

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Previously in alt.html, Travis Newbury <> said:

    > And you dont think that each and every one those things was not planned?

    Not with proper thought, no.

    > Look at the content.

    What about it? It's typical marketing gibberish.

    > The entire design was created to do exactly what
    > it does. It appeals to the eclectic. To those that think outside the
    > box. Everything on your list of what is wrong with the site is
    > meaningless to these people, and to any of their customers.

    So their customers don't care that they can't read the site unless they
    have perfect vision? Or that the site doesn't work without Javascript,
    or with a popup blocker running?

    > Two thumbs up on the design.

    What design? It's text in a couple of columns, with a few abstract
    images strewn around. They haven't even specified a background colour
    for the page (which makes their images stand out here).

    > Who cares, it is
    > reaching the people they want to reach in the manner they want to be
    > reached.

    They must have a very small target market.

    > isn't that what your web site is supposed to do?

    If you want to limit your target market like that, sure.

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au
    Mark Parnell, Dec 8, 2004
  10. On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 21:51:03 -0500, Travis Newbury wrote:

    > Two thumbs up on the design. Sure the HTML sucks, it is not accessible
    > to everyone, it has a pop up, and splash screen. Who cares, it is
    > reaching the people they want to reach in the manner they want to be
    > reached. isn't that what your web site is supposed to do?

    I agree. My thoughts exactly. Crystalized my thoughts eloquently.
    I think that some people here sometimes miss the point in their goal to
    validation perfection.

    I mean, the site does what it means to do, does it not?

    --
    Jeffrey Silverman

    ** Drop "PANTS" to reply by email
    Jeffrey Silverman, Dec 8, 2004
  11. Developwebsites

    Neal Guest

    On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 21:51:03 -0500, Travis Newbury <> wrote:

    > It appeals to the eclectic. To those that think outside the
    > box. Everything on your list of what is wrong with the site is
    > meaningless to these people, and to any of their customers.

    It appeals to the people without disability who live in a damned bubble,
    that's who it appeals to. At Largest text in IE, the fonts are at the
    minimum many people can read. There are a LOT of folks who could never
    read that site in the only "browser" they know.

    Besides, "eclectic" refers to someone with a wide variety of experiences
    and influences. This in no way means they can read the text, make out what
    the hell the second little box links to, or even figure out what the site
    is about.

    Don't even try to defend it.
    Neal, Dec 8, 2004
  12. Developwebsites

    Neal Guest

    Jeffrey:

    > I mean, the site does what it means to do, does it not?

    If it means to alienate the vision-impaired, confuse the dickens out of
    everyone else, and not ever be indexed by a search engine, I agree
    wholeheartedly.
    Neal, Dec 8, 2004
  13. In article <BDDC263E.268AA%>,
    lid says...
    > Travis Newbury wrote:
    >
    > > Who cares, it is
    > > reaching the people they want to reach in the manner they want to be
    > > reached.

    > Uhmm, exactly *how* is this site reaching people?
    >
    > Their redesign has been online since the end of October, but because of the
    > idiotic Javascript link on their splash page, Google hasn't found any of
    > their new pages (in the "/white" subdirectory). See for yourself:
    >
    > <http://www.google.com/search?q=inurl%3Awww.stormytuesday.com%2Fwhite>

    Why is that important?

    --
    Hywel http://kibo.org.uk/
    I do not eat quiche.
    Hywel Jenkins, Dec 8, 2004
  14. Developwebsites

    Toby Inkster Guest

    rf wrote:
    > Jeffrey Silverman enquired:

    >> What's wrong with that site?

    > Useless splash page.
    > Opening the site in a new window. Without toolbars etc.
    > Mystery meat navigation. The text in the mystery meat is totally impossible
    > to read.
    > Fly dropping sized text.
    > Visually unappealing.
    > Tables used for layout.
    > Deprecated HTML used (<font> elements) resulting in totally bloated code.

    Not to forget the fact that it waffles on uncontrollably without saying
    anything, which just smacks of one of those "new media" companies that
    don't really know what they're supposed to be doing, but just come in
    every Friday afternoon to give their clients' CEOs a shoulder rub.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby Inkster, Dec 8, 2004
  15. Developwebsites

    Philip Ronan Guest

    Hywel Jenkins wrote:

    >> Google hasn't found any of
    >> their new pages (in the "/white" subdirectory). See for yourself:
    >>
    >> <http://www.google.com/search?q=inurl%3Awww.stormytuesday.com%2Fwhite>

    > Why is that important?

    Think about it. How are people going to find this website if the search
    engines don't know it exists?

    Philip Ronan, Dec 8, 2004
  16. Developwebsites

    Andy Dingley Guest

    wrote:

    >Two thumbs up on the design. Sure the HTML sucks, it is not accessible
    >to everyone, it has a pop up, and splash screen. Who cares, it is
    >reaching the people they want to reach in the manner they want to be
    >reached. isn't that what your web site is supposed to do?

    I went to the bank today, just as it was being robbed. Nice masks.
    Lovely crowd control technique. Sheer artistry when they blew the
    vault.
    Andy Dingley, Dec 8, 2004
  17. On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 21:51:03 -0500, Travis Newbury wrote:

    > Look at the content. The entire design was created to do exactly what
    > it does. It appeals to the eclectic. To those that think outside the
    > box. Everything on your list of what is wrong with the site is
    > meaningless to these people, and to any of their customers.

    So what part of that design couldn't have been achieved with good HTML and
    Why do something wrong when you can easily do it right?
    Brendan Taylor, Dec 8, 2004
  18. Developwebsites

    Noozer Guest

    > On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 21:51:03 -0500, Travis Newbury wrote:
    >
    > > Look at the content. The entire design was created to do exactly what
    > > it does. It appeals to the eclectic. To those that think outside the
    > > box. Everything on your list of what is wrong with the site is
    > > meaningless to these people, and to any of their customers.

    So, next time your car won't start it's acceptable for the mechanic to just
    strap a horse to the front to pull it around? It'll get you where you need
    to go.
    Noozer, Dec 8, 2004
  19. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "rf" <rf@.invalid> writing in

    > Jeffrey Silverman enquired:

    >> I don't get it.
    >>
    >> What's wrong with that site?

    > Opening the site in a new window. Without toolbars etc.
    >
    > Mystery meat navigation. The text in the mystery meat is totally
    > impossible to read.
    >
    > Fly dropping sized text.

    This is what I don't understand about "these people". They purposely
    open a new small window to show the entire site, and then, when there is
    more content that will fit in the window, they reduce the font size even
    futher to fit it in. Don't these Yahoos understand that this is a
    _flexible_ medium? Don't they realize that the largest population sector
    is the baby boomers (who have the most disposable income), and that a lot
    of us can't see tiny text anymore?

    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    Please respond to the Group so others can share
    Adrienne Boswell, Dec 8, 2004
  20. In article <BDDCAEDB.2690B%>,
    lid says...
    > Hywel Jenkins wrote:
    >
    > >> Google hasn't found any of
    > >> their new pages (in the "/white" subdirectory). See for yourself:
    > >>
    > >> <http://www.google.com/search?q=inurl%3Awww.stormytuesday.com%2Fwhite>

    > > Why is that important?

    > Think about it. How are people going to find this website if the search
    > engines don't know it exists?

    I get no business at all through search engines, yet I always seem to be
    busy. Who's to say whether the Stormy Tuesday needs any work from
    people using search engines?

    --
    Hywel http://kibo.org.uk/
    I do not eat quiche.