best laugh of the day

rf

Jeffrey Silverman enquired:
I don't get it.

What's wrong with that site?

Useless splash page.

Opening the site in a new window. Without toolbars etc.

Mystery meat navigation. The text in the mystery meat is totally impossible
to read.

Fly dropping sized text.

Visually unappealing.

Tables used for layout.

Deprecated HTML used (<font> elements) resulting in totally bloated code.

And lastly, written with Dreamweaver in it's "I'm have been let loose so I
can do whatever I bloody want" mode, without any regard whatsoever for the
rubbish HTML that is spewed out.

Duende

While sitting in a puddle rf scribbled in the mud:
Jeffrey Silverman enquired:

Useless splash page.

Opening the site in a new window. Without toolbars etc.

Mystery meat navigation. The text in the mystery meat is totally
impossible to read.

Fly dropping sized text.

Visually unappealing.

Tables used for layout.

Deprecated HTML used (<font> elements) resulting in totally bloated
code.

And lastly, written with Dreamweaver in it's "I'm have been let loose so
I can do whatever I bloody want" mode, without any regard whatsoever for
the rubbish HTML that is spewed out.

Those were all the good things. Now please list the bad things.

Travis Newbury

Jeffrey Silverman enquired:

Useless splash page....

And you dont think that each and every one those things was not planned?
Look at the content. The entire design was created to do exactly what
it does. It appeals to the eclectic. To those that think outside the
box. Everything on your list of what is wrong with the site is
meaningless to these people, and to any of their customers.

Two thumbs up on the design. Sure the HTML sucks, it is not accessible
to everyone, it has a pop up, and splash screen. Who cares, it is
reaching the people they want to reach in the manner they want to be
reached. isn't that what your web site is supposed to do?

Duende

While sitting in a puddle Travis Newbury scribbled in the mud:
Look at the content. The entire design was created to do exactly what
it does. It appeals to the eclectic. To those that think outside the
box.

They need to be put back in their box.

Philip Ronan

Travis said:
Who cares, it is
reaching the people they want to reach in the manner they want to be
reached.

Uhmm, exactly *how* is this site reaching people?

Their redesign has been online since the end of October, but because of the
idiotic Javascript link on their splash page, Google hasn't found any of
their new pages (in the "/white" subdirectory). See for yourself:

<http://www.google.com/search?q=inurl:www.stormytuesday.com/white>

Google has plenty of older pages cached, but they all come back with 404
errors now because apparently these people didn't set up any redirects
either.

It's a pretty design, but utterly useless.

Mark Parnell

Previously in alt.html said:
And you dont think that each and every one those things was not planned?

Not with proper thought, no.
Look at the content.

What about it? It's typical marketing gibberish.
The entire design was created to do exactly what
it does. It appeals to the eclectic. To those that think outside the
box. Everything on your list of what is wrong with the site is
meaningless to these people, and to any of their customers.

So their customers don't care that they can't read the site unless they
have perfect vision? Or that the site doesn't work without Javascript,
or with a popup blocker running?
Two thumbs up on the design.

What design? It's text in a couple of columns, with a few abstract
images strewn around. They haven't even specified a background colour
for the page (which makes their images stand out here).
Who cares, it is
reaching the people they want to reach in the manner they want to be
reached.

They must have a very small target market.
isn't that what your web site is supposed to do?

If you want to limit your target market like that, sure.

Jeffrey Silverman

Two thumbs up on the design. Sure the HTML sucks, it is not accessible
to everyone, it has a pop up, and splash screen. Who cares, it is
reaching the people they want to reach in the manner they want to be
reached. isn't that what your web site is supposed to do?

I agree. My thoughts exactly. Crystalized my thoughts eloquently.
I think that some people here sometimes miss the point in their goal to
validation perfection.

I mean, the site does what it means to do, does it not?

Neal

It appeals to the eclectic. To those that think outside the
box. Everything on your list of what is wrong with the site is
meaningless to these people, and to any of their customers.

It appeals to the people without disability who live in a damned bubble,
that's who it appeals to. At Largest text in IE, the fonts are at the
minimum many people can read. There are a LOT of folks who could never
read that site in the only "browser" they know.

Besides, "eclectic" refers to someone with a wide variety of experiences
and influences. This in no way means they can read the text, make out what
the hell the second little box links to, or even figure out what the site
is about.

Don't even try to defend it.

Neal

Jeffrey:
I mean, the site does what it means to do, does it not?

If it means to alienate the vision-impaired, confuse the dickens out of
everyone else, and not ever be indexed by a search engine, I agree
wholeheartedly.

Toby Inkster

rf said:
Jeffrey Silverman enquired:

Useless splash page.
Opening the site in a new window. Without toolbars etc.
Mystery meat navigation. The text in the mystery meat is totally impossible
to read.
Fly dropping sized text.
Visually unappealing.
Tables used for layout.
Deprecated HTML used (<font> elements) resulting in totally bloated code.

Not to forget the fact that it waffles on uncontrollably without saying
anything, which just smacks of one of those "new media" companies that
don't really know what they're supposed to be doing, but just come in
every Friday afternoon to give their clients' CEOs a shoulder rub.

Andy Dingley

Two thumbs up on the design. Sure the HTML sucks, it is not accessible
to everyone, it has a pop up, and splash screen. Who cares, it is
reaching the people they want to reach in the manner they want to be
reached. isn't that what your web site is supposed to do?

I went to the bank today, just as it was being robbed. Nice masks.
Lovely crowd control technique. Sheer artistry when they blew the
vault.

Brendan Taylor

Look at the content. The entire design was created to do exactly what
it does. It appeals to the eclectic. To those that think outside the
box. Everything on your list of what is wrong with the site is
meaningless to these people, and to any of their customers.

So what part of that design couldn't have been achieved with good HTML and
Why do something wrong when you can easily do it right?

Noozer

So, next time your car won't start it's acceptable for the mechanic to just
strap a horse to the front to pull it around? It'll get you where you need
to go.

Adrienne Boswell

Jeffrey Silverman enquired:

Opening the site in a new window. Without toolbars etc.

Mystery meat navigation. The text in the mystery meat is totally
impossible to read.

Fly dropping sized text.

This is what I don't understand about "these people". They purposely
open a new small window to show the entire site, and then, when there is
more content that will fit in the window, they reduce the font size even
futher to fit it in. Don't these Yahoos understand that this is a
_flexible_ medium? Don't they realize that the largest population sector
is the baby boomers (who have the most disposable income), and that a lot
of us can't see tiny text anymore?

Hywel Jenkins

Think about it. How are people going to find this website if the search
engines don't know it exists?

I get no business at all through search engines, yet I always seem to be
busy. Who's to say whether the Stormy Tuesday needs any work from
people using search engines?