    just hope for the best?

    Thanks for help with anyof these questions!
    , Jan 7, 2009

  2. dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    wrote:

    > http://www.tssarcade.com/test.html
    >
    > Here's what I have so far. I had the image border working before, but
    > with tables instead and now this is my method for getting a *gasp* 8
    > image bordered div. Three images on the top and and bottom of the div
    > and two images to the side. I used the inner and outer div method to
    > make the sides expand downwards with the content inside. It's just
    > about working save for the glitch in the left bottom corner. The other
    > problem is how or can I get this method to play nice with IE6. In that
    > version I'm getting some breakage of the border and it's ignoring my
    > specified height for the top div of 12px. One other thing is mozilla
    > (not firefox) and the vista version of ie7 is pushing the content div
    > far off to the right. The margin-left: auto; margin-right: auto;
    > method is working alright in just about everything else but these two.
    > Am I going to have to do a margin left of a more specific % value and
    > just hope for the best?
    >
    > Thanks for help with anyof these questions!

    This is pretty much the sort of design that is fraught with cross
    browser dangers. You should see how it differs on my Mac browsers. One
    thing you could tackle that needs attention is to make it not look bad
    or unreadable at user text enlargements, you might then find you do not
    have your original problems.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Jan 7, 2009

  3. Bergamot Guest

    wrote:
    > http://www.tssarcade.com/test.html
    >
    > It's just
    > about working save for the glitch in the left bottom corner.

    No, there's more to it than that.
    http://www.bergamotus.ws/screenshots/tssarcade.png

    That's Seamonkey, BTW, not that it matters much. Besides the broken
    borders and overlapping text, notice there is no right navigation
    column, nor a horizontal scrollbar to get to it. I hope it wasn't
    anything important.

    > Thanks for help with anyof these questions!

    I think you've bitten off more than you can chew, i.e. attempting a CSS
    layout without having the necessary skill to pull it off. Think KISS.

    --
    Berg
    Bergamot, Jan 7, 2009

    On Jan 7, 12:48 pm, dorayme <> wrote:
    > In article
    > <>,
    >

    > wrote:
    > >http://www.tssarcade.com/test.html

    > > Here's what I have so far. I had the image border working before, but
    > > with tables instead and now this is my method for getting a *gasp* 8
    > > image bordered div. Three images on the top and and bottom of the div
    > > and two images to the side. I used the inner and outer div method to
    > > make the sides expand downwards with the content inside. It's just
    > > about working save for the glitch in the left bottom corner. The other
    > > problem is how or can I get this method to play nice with IE6. In that
    > > version I'm getting some breakage of the border and it's ignoring my
    > > specified height for the top div of 12px. One other thing is mozilla
    > > (not firefox) and the vista version of ie7 is pushing the content div
    > > far off to the right. The margin-left: auto; margin-right: auto;
    > > method is working alright in just about everything else but these two.
    > > Am I going to have to do a margin left of a more specific % value and
    > > just hope for the best?

    > > Thanks for help with anyof these questions!

    > This is pretty much the sort of design that is fraught with cross
    > browser dangers. You should see how it differs on my Mac browsers. One
    > thing you could tackle that needs attention is to make it not look bad
    > or unreadable at user text enlargements, you might then find you do not
    > have your original problems.
    >
    > --
    > dorayme

    Indeed, I see the bottom three images aren't expanding with the
    content similar to what mozilla is doing. I forgot I set a solid px
    height for the select divs, I changed it back and they should expand
    with the resized text. Still get the breakage though, even if I remove
    most of the text.

    >No, there's more to it than that.
    >http://www.bergamotus.ws/screenshots/tssarcade.png
    >
    >That's Seamonkey, BTW, not that it matters much. Besides the broken
    >borders and overlapping text, notice there is no right navigation
    >column, nor a horizontal scrollbar to get to it. I hope it wasn't
    >anything important.

    Wow, it was actually. I didn't notice before, but I guess at a lower
    (?) resolution the middle content gets shoved so far to the right the
    menu on that side is made not visible.
    > Thanks for help with anyof these questions!

    >I think you've bitten off more than you can chew, i.e. attempting a CSS
    >layout without having the necessary skill to pull it off. Think KISS.

    Well I have no problem with a challenge to be honest. I definitely
    don't expect anyone to build the site for me, but a specific nudge in
    the right direction is always nice. Even sites with web development
    teams have near site breaking cross browser oddities so I don't think
    my goals are that far off.

    Also, anyone know of a decent image border tutorial?
    , Jan 8, 2009
  5. dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,

    <http://dorayme.netweaver.com.au/justPics/midori.png> 2 mins ago.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Jan 8, 2009

    On Jan 7, 7:46 pm, dorayme <> wrote:
    > In article
    > <>,
    >

    > wrote:
    > > On Jan 7, 12:48 pm, dorayme <> wrote:
    > > > In article
    > > > <>,

    > > > This is pretty much the sort of design that is fraught with cross
    > > > browser dangers. You should see how it differs on my Mac browsers. One
    > > > thing you could tackle that needs attention is to make it not look bad
    > > > or unreadable at user text enlargements, you might then find you do not
    > > > have your original problems.

    > > Indeed, I see the bottom three images aren't expanding with the
    > > content similar to what mozilla is doing. I forgot I set a solid px
    > > height for the select divs, I changed it back and they should expand
    > > with the resized text.

    > <http://dorayme.netweaver.com.au/justPics/midori.png> 2 mins ago.
    >
    > --
    > dorayme

    So is that what your getting as of right now? I uploaded an updated
    page and now in all browsers for me including Safari(windows) the text
    is expanding and not being hidden. Here's what I'm getting when I
    resize the text.

    http://tssarcade.com/graphics/test.jpg
    , Jan 8, 2009
  7. dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    wrote:

    > On Jan 7, 7:46 pm, dorayme <> wrote:
    > > In article
    > > <>,
    > >

    > > wrote:

    > > > Indeed, I see the bottom three images aren't expanding with the
    > > > content similar to what mozilla is doing. I forgot I set a solid px
    > > > height for the select divs, I changed it back and they should expand
    > > > with the resized text.

    > > <http://dorayme.netweaver.com.au/justPics/midori.png> 2 mins ago.
    > >
    > > --
    > > dorayme

    > So is that what your getting as of right now? I uploaded an updated
    > page and now in all browsers for me including Safari(windows) the text
    > is expanding and not being hidden.

    Right now, it is better in that respect.

    But the text probably does not curve around the left curvey border
    thingy you have in the way you probably want in all browsers. And,
    frankly, the borders around the central bit are badly broken in various
    ways cross browser wise...

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Jan 8, 2009

    On Jan 7, 8:33 pm, dorayme <> wrote:
    > In article
    > <>,
    >

    > wrote:
    > > On Jan 7, 7:46 pm, dorayme <> wrote:
    > > > In article
    > > > <>,

    > > > <http://dorayme.netweaver.com.au/justPics/midori.png> 2 mins ago.

    > > > --
    > > > dorayme

    > > So is that what your getting as of right now? I uploaded an updated
    > > page and now in all browsers for me including Safari(windows) the text
    > > is expanding and not being hidden.

    > Right now, it is better in that respect.
    >
    > But the text probably does not curve around the left curvey border
    > thingy you have in the way you probably want in all browsers. And,
    > frankly, the borders around the central bit are badly broken in various
    > ways cross browser wise...
    >
    > --
    > dorayme

    Yes, as the text gets bigger the alignment is a little off. I noticed
    it's still in sync for the most part until I go past about 30px. At
    that width, wouldn't a person be somewhat used to seeing broken
    sites? The borders are why I posted the thread, that's what I really
    needed some advice with or a good tutorial on.
    , Jan 8, 2009
  9. dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    wrote:

    > On Jan 7, 8:33 pm, dorayme <> wrote:
    > > In article
    > > <>,
    > >

    > > wrote:

    > > > So is that what your getting as of right now? I uploaded an updated
    > > > page and now in all browsers for me including Safari(windows) the text
    > > > is expanding and not being hidden.

    > > Right now, it is better in that respect.
    > >
    > > But the text probably does not curve around the left curvey border
    > > thingy you have in the way you probably want in all browsers. And,
    > > frankly, the borders around the central bit are badly broken in various
    > > ways cross browser wise...
    > >
    > > --
    > > dorayme

    > Yes, as the text gets bigger the alignment is a little off. I noticed
    > it's still in sync for the most part until I go past about 30px. At
    > that width, wouldn't a person be somewhat used to seeing broken
    > sites? The borders are why I posted the thread, that's what I really
    > needed some advice with or a good tutorial on.

    I am sorry, have not had time to examine your code properly. One thing I
    have on line about borders is, I notice:

    <http://netweaver.com.au/alt/fancyBorders/twoCol_fancyBorders.html>

    If this does not help I will have to take a closer look at yours or else
    call Nick Coughlin in from whatever he is doing...

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Jan 8, 2009

    On Jan 7, 11:00 pm, dorayme <> wrote:
    > In article
    > <>,
    >

    > wrote:
    > > On Jan 7, 8:33 pm, dorayme <> wrote:
    > > > In article
    > > > <>,

    > > > Right now, it is better in that respect.

    > > > But the text probably does not curve around the left curvey border
    > > > thingy you have in the way you probably want in all browsers. And,
    > > > frankly, the borders around the central bit are badly broken in various
    > > > ways cross browser wise...

    > > > --
    > > > dorayme

    > > Yes, as the text gets bigger the alignment is a little off. I noticed
    > > it's still in sync for the most part until I go past about 30px. At
    > > that width, wouldn't a person be somewhat used to seeing broken
    > > sites? The borders are why I posted the thread, that's what I really
    > > needed some advice with or a good tutorial on.

    > I am sorry, have not had time to examine your code properly. One thing I
    > have on line about borders is, I notice:
    >
    > <http://netweaver.com.au/alt/fancyBorders/twoCol_fancyBorders.html>
    >
    > If this does not help I will have to take a closer look at yours or else
    > call Nick Coughlin in from whatever he is doing...
    >
    > --
    > dorayme

    Ah, it took me a while but now I see what you did there. That's a
    really simple and practical technique, just let the background repeat
    as necessary and use the inner content to appropriately define the
    border by hiding the repeats. I think I'm seeing how I might be able
    to adapt this to my own layout. I'm experimenting right now and will
    check back soon, thanks a lot!
    , Jan 8, 2009
  11. dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    wrote:
    > > > The borders are why I posted the thread, that's what I really
    > > > needed some advice with or a good tutorial on.

    > > I am sorry, have not had time to examine your code properly. One thing I
    > > have on line about borders is, I notice:
    > >
    > > <http://netweaver.com.au/alt/fancyBorders/twoCol_fancyBorders.html>
    > >
    > > If this does not help I will have to take a closer look at yours or else
    > > call Nick Coughlin in from whatever he is doing...
    > >
    > > --
    > > dorayme

    > Ah, it took me a while but now I see what you did there. That's a
    > really simple and practical technique, just let the background repeat
    > as necessary and use the inner content to appropriately define the
    > border by hiding the repeats. I think I'm seeing how I might be able
    > to adapt this to my own layout. I'm experimenting right now and will
    > check back soon, thanks a lot!

    I notice I had an inappropriate fallback color for the background - it
    was a left over from experiments - and I mention to remind you to attend
    to this for a serious use in a real webpage. If the background image is
    not available, *sometimes* it is better to fall back to the "natural"
    colour so no border at all appears... You will see what I mean if you
    experiment a bit. Temporarily munge the name of your background image
    slightly so you can test what look you want in case of failure.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Jan 8, 2009

    On Jan 8, 1:27 pm, dorayme <> wrote:

    > > > I am sorry, have not had time to examine your code properly. One thing I
    > > > have on line about borders is, I notice:

    > > > <http://netweaver.com.au/alt/fancyBorders/twoCol_fancyBorders.html>

    > > > If this does not help I will have to take a closer look at yours or else
    > > > call Nick Coughlin in from whatever he is doing...

    > > > --
    > > > dorayme

    > > Ah, it took me a while but now I see what you did there. That's a
    > > really simple and practical technique, just let the background repeat
    > > as necessary and use the inner content to appropriately define the
    > > border by hiding the repeats. I think I'm seeing how I might be able
    > > to adapt this to my own layout. I'm experimenting right now and will
    > > check back soon, thanks a lot!

    > I notice I had an inappropriate fallback color for the background - it
    > was a left over from experiments - and I mention to remind you to attend
    > to this for a serious use in a real webpage. If the background image is
    > not available, *sometimes* it is better to fall back to the "natural"
    > colour so no border at all appears... You will see what I mean if you
    > experiment a bit. Temporarily munge the name of your background image
    > slightly so you can test what look you want in case of failure.
    >
    > --
    > dorayme

    Oh do you mean using the three letter color code instead of the six
    character alpha-numeric color code? I always use six character method,
    but if that's not what you meant please fill me in.
    , Jan 9, 2009
  13. dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    wrote:

    > On Jan 8, 1:27 pm, dorayme <> wrote:

    > > If the background image is
    > > not available, *sometimes* it is better to fall back to the "natural"
    > > colour so no border at all appears... You will see what I mean if you
    > > experiment a bit. Temporarily munge the name of your background image
    > > slightly so you can test what look you want in case of failure.

    > Oh do you mean using the three letter color code instead of the six
    > character alpha-numeric color code? I always use six character method,
    > but if that's not what you meant please fill me in.

    3 is just shorthand for 6, no I meant think about what colour you want
    as fallback, that is all... it might not look good... so test it in your
    page with the background image simulated to be missing.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Jan 9, 2009

    On Jan 8, 5:32 pm, dorayme <> wrote:
    > In article
    > <>,
    >

    > wrote:
    > > On Jan 8, 1:27 pm, dorayme <> wrote:

    > > > If the background image is
    > > > not available, *sometimes* it is better to fall back to the "natural"
    > > > colour so no border at all appears... You will see what I mean if you
    > > > experiment a bit. Temporarily munge the name of your background image
    > > > slightly so you can test what look you want in case of failure.

    > > Oh do you mean using the three letter color code instead of the six
    > > character alpha-numeric color code? I always use six character method,
    > > but if that's not what you meant please fill me in.

    > 3 is just shorthand for 6, no I meant think about what colour you want
    > as fallback, that is all... it might not look good... so test it in your
    > page with the background image simulated to be missing.
    >
    > --
    > dorayme

    Oh I see, I defined a color for the parent div that holds everything
    so hopefully that won't be a problem.
    , Jan 9, 2009
  15. Nik Coughlin Guest

    "dorayme" <> wrote in message
    > In article
    > <>,

    > If this does not help I will have to take a closer look at yours or else
    > call Nick Coughlin in from whatever he is doing...

    You can try to use one of the various skinning techniques to create a box
    effect rather than trying to use border images:
    http://nrkn.com/skinning/

    I have been meaning to play with doing it via border images myself but
    haven't had a chance yet, but the link above outlines various ways of
    achieving what you are trying to do and their pros and cons.
    Nik Coughlin, Jan 9, 2009
  16. dorayme Guest

    In article <gk6o4o$2cs$>,
    "Nik Coughlin" <> wrote:

    > "dorayme" <> wrote in message
    > > In article
    > > <>,

    > > If this does not help I will have to take a closer look at yours or else
    > > call Nick Coughlin in from whatever he is doing...

    > You can try to use one of the various skinning techniques to create a box
    > effect rather than trying to use border images:
    > http://nrkn.com/skinning/
    >
    > I have been meaning to play with doing it via border images myself but
    > haven't had a chance yet, but the link above outlines various ways of
    > achieving what you are trying to do and their pros and cons.

    Thanks for helping OP. I have posted the usual cheque to you...

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Jan 9, 2009
  17. Nik Coughlin Guest

    "dorayme" <> wrote in message
    > In article <gk6o4o$2cs$>,
    > "Nik Coughlin" <> wrote:
    >
    >> "dorayme" <> wrote in message
    >> > In article
    >> > <>,
    >> >
    >> > If this does not help I will have to take a closer look at yours or
    >> > else
    >> > call Nick Coughlin in from whatever he is doing...

    >> You can try to use one of the various skinning techniques to create a box
    >> effect rather than trying to use border images:
    >> http://nrkn.com/skinning/
    >>
    >> I have been meaning to play with doing it via border images myself but
    >> haven't had a chance yet, but the link above outlines various ways of
    >> achieving what you are trying to do and their pros and cons.

    > Thanks for helping OP. I have posted the usual cheque to you...

    Last one bounced. I'm sending the goons round. Sleep with one eye open!
    Nik Coughlin, Jan 9, 2009

    On Jan 8, 10:41 pm, "Nik Coughlin" <> wrote:
    > "dorayme" <> wrote in message

    > > In article <gk6o4o$>,
    > > "Nik Coughlin" <> wrote:

    > >> "dorayme" <> wrote in message

    > >> You can try to use one of the various skinning techniques to create a box
    > >> effect rather than trying to use border images:
    > >>http://nrkn.com/skinning/

    > >> I have been meaning to play with doing it via border images myself but
    > >> haven't had a chance yet, but the link above outlines various ways of
    > >> achieving what you are trying to do and their pros and cons.

    > > Thanks for helping OP. I have posted the usual cheque to you...

    > Last one bounced. I'm sending the goons round. Sleep with one eye open!

    Thanks guys! I can't wait to see if I can get one of these techniques
    integrated into the site.
    , Jan 9, 2009
  19. Nik Coughlin Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Jan 8, 10:41 pm, "Nik Coughlin" <> wrote:
    >> "dorayme" <> wrote in message

    > Thanks guys! I can't wait to see if I can get one of these techniques
    > integrated into the site.

    Nesting is probably best for what you are trying to do
    Nik Coughlin, Jan 9, 2009

    On Jan 9, 12:52 pm, "Nik Coughlin" <> wrote:
    > <> wrote in message

    > > On Jan 8, 10:41 pm, "Nik Coughlin" <> wrote:
    > >> "dorayme" <> wrote in message

    > > Thanks guys! I can't wait to see if I can get one of these techniques
    > > integrated into the site.

    > Nesting is probably best for what you are trying to do

    Yes, that's the section I was reading now. I was faintly piecing
    together exactly what you did by going over each little line in
    firebug.
    , Jan 9, 2009