    yGuard

    cheers
    paw

    schw, Jan 31, 2007

  2. schw

    Daniel Pitts Guest

    On Jan 31, 7:31 am, "schw" <> wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > which of the following obfuscators is the "best" you think?
    >
    > ProGuardProGuard
    >
    > ProGuard
    >
    > JODE
    >
    > JavaGuard
    >
    > RetroGuard
    >
    > yGuard
    >
    > cheers
    > paw

    None. If you feel the need to obfuscate your code, then you probably
    aren't a very experience programmer. And that being the case, your
    code is either not worth steal, and/or already obfuscated.

    Daniel Pitts, Jan 31, 2007

  3. schw

    Chris Uppal Guest

    Daniel Pitts wrote:

    > > which of the following obfuscators is the "best" you think?

    [...]
    > None. If you feel the need to obfuscate your code, then you probably
    > aren't a very experience programmer.

    So why do Sun use obfuscation ?

    (I'm thinking of the COM.rsa.* classes in jsse.jar up through 1.4.2. Though,
    to be fair, I think it may actually have been RSA doing the obfuscation[*]).

    Obfuscation has it's place, I think. A small place, to be sure, but it's not
    useless (if you don't expect magic from it).

    As for the OP's question, I have no real idea which is best. I doubt whether
    JODE is up to much (too old to understand the bytecode sequences generated by
    modern versions of javac).

    -- chris

    [*] Qualification: I have just noticed that Preemptive claim that Sun used
    their DashO Pro product "to obfuscate the encryption libraries as part of the
    JDK", so maybe it was Sun's choice after all...

    Chris Uppal, Jan 31, 2007
  4. schw

    Daniel Dyer Guest

    On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 19:36:10 -0000, Daniel Pitts
    <> wrote:

    > On Jan 31, 7:31 am, "schw" <> wrote:
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> which of the following obfuscators is the "best" you think?
    >>
    >> ProGuardProGuard
    >>
    >> ProGuard
    >>
    >> JODE
    >>
    >> JavaGuard
    >>
    >> RetroGuard
    >>
    >> yGuard
    >>
    >> cheers
    >> paw

    > None. If you feel the need to obfuscate your code, then you probably
    > aren't a very experience programmer. And that being the case, your
    > code is either not worth steal, and/or already obfuscated.

    Obfuscation may not be as useful as some people would believe but it's
    certainly not worthless. Besides the marginal protection it gives to your
    intellecutal property (your intellect, your employer's property), a key
    benefit is the shrinking that can be achieved. It is not unusual to
    reduce the size of compiled code by up to 50% by running it through an
    obfuscator. This shrinking is all but essential for J2ME development
    where storage is limited and downloads are often paid for by the
    kilobyte. While not as critical for JavaSE, it can still reduce the
    download times of applets and web-start applications.

    Dan.

    --
    Daniel Dyer
    https://watchmaker.dev.java.net - Evolutionary Algorithm Framework for Java

    Daniel Dyer, Jan 31, 2007
  5. schw

    Alex Hunsley Guest

    Daniel Pitts wrote:
    > On Jan 31, 7:31 am, "schw" <> wrote:
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> which of the following obfuscators is the "best" you think?
    >>
    >> ProGuardProGuard
    >>
    >> ProGuard
    >>
    >> JODE
    >>
    >> JavaGuard
    >>
    >> RetroGuard
    >>
    >> yGuard
    >>
    >> cheers
    >> paw

    > None. If you feel the need to obfuscate your code, then you probably
    > aren't a very experience programmer.

    That's possible. On the other hand you could be a perfectly good
    programmer, and one who understands that obfuscation provides a smaller
    resulting bytecode, which is very useful sometimes (e.g. J2ME).

    Alex Hunsley, Jan 31, 2007
  6. schw wrote:
    > which of the following obfuscators is the "best" you think?
    >
    > ProGuardProGuard
    >
    > ProGuard
    >
    > JODE
    >
    > JavaGuard
    >
    > RetroGuard
    >
    > yGuard

    ProGuard is OK. I have only looked at a couple of the
    others, so OK does not imply best.

    Arne

    =?UTF-8?B?QXJuZSBWYWpow7hq?=, Feb 1, 2007