    these three?

    Thanks in advance.

    Jeff

    about_that_time, Mar 17, 2006

  2. about_that_time

    Ed Mullen Guest

    about_that_time wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Just trying to get started learning all this stuff. I've been reading
    > www.htmlgoodies.com which I think explains everything very well, but is
    > obviously very outdated, and www.w3schools.com, which is mostly the opposite
    > (up to date, but doesn't do very well at all of explaining the whys and
    > hows. . .well, especially the whys). I've also checked out
    > http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/Guide/, which seems good, but not very
    > comprehensive. Does anyone have a quick link that would work better than
    > these three?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Jeff

    For what it's worth, here are a bunch I've collected over the years.

    http://edmullen.net/temp/cssHTML.html

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Mar 17, 2006

  3. about_that_time wrote:

    > Just trying to get started learning all this stuff. I've been reading
    > www.htmlgoodies.com which I think explains everything very well,

    It doesn't. I seem to recall that last time I looked it had an average of
    one serious error per paragraph.

    > but is obviously very outdated, and www.w3schools.com, which is mostly the
    > opposite (up to date, but doesn't do very well at all of explaining the
    > whys and hows. . .well, especially the whys).

    W3Schools also tends to have errors - but far more subtle ones.

    > I've also checked out http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/Guide/, which seems good,
    > but not very comprehensive.

    Also out of date. The code is a mix of HTML 3.2 and 4.01 Transitional. These
    days you should generally be writing HTML 4.01 Strict (which discards most
    of the legacy stuff CSS can now handle).

    > Does anyone have a quick link that would work better than
    > these three?

    To be honest, I haven't found anything better then the specification. It's
    rather dry and not written as a tutorial, but its accurate and the
    information is hard to beat.

    http://w3.org/TR/html4/

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

    David Dorward, Mar 17, 2006
  4. about_that_time

    Stan McCann Guest

    David Dorward <> wrote in

    > about_that_time wrote:
    >
    >> Just trying to get started learning all this stuff. I've been
    >> reading www.htmlgoodies.com which I think explains everything very
    >> well,

    > It doesn't. I seem to recall that last time I looked it had an
    > average of one serious error per paragraph.
    >
    >> but is obviously very outdated, and www.w3schools.com, which is
    >> mostly the opposite (up to date, but doesn't do very well at all of
    >> explaining the whys and hows. . .well, especially the whys).

    > W3Schools also tends to have errors - but far more subtle ones.
    >
    >> I've also checked out http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/Guide/, which seems
    >> good, but not very comprehensive.

    > Also out of date. The code is a mix of HTML 3.2 and 4.01
    > Transitional. These days you should generally be writing HTML 4.01
    > Strict (which discards most of the legacy stuff CSS can now handle).
    >
    >> Does anyone have a quick link that would work better than
    >> these three?

    > To be honest, I haven't found anything better then the
    > specification. It's rather dry and not written as a tutorial, but
    > its accurate and the information is hard to beat.
    >
    > http://w3.org/TR/html4/

    Yep, that's what I use. It's fairly easy to look down the list of
    elements. Then, when one looks like it might be appropriate, read the
    details.

    For much of the other details, usenet is the best. Subscribe to
    several appropriate groups and read enough to determine the lamers from
    the ones that know what they are talking about. Pay attention to what
    the latter write.

    Be careful of books. Every book I have reviewed uses a transitional
    doctype and lots of deprecated elements and attributes. I am starting
    to get serious about putting my notes together this summer and writing
    my own book using zero deprecated items, HTML 4.01 strict (and why) and
    CSS 2.1 pointing out the unsupported properties.

    It's pretty sad when 2005 books teach 1995 methodology.

    --
    Stan McCann, "Uncle Pirate" http://stanmccann.us/
    Webmaster, NMSU at Alamogordo http://alamo.nmsu.edu/

    Stan McCann, Mar 17, 2006
  5. "Stan McCann" <> wrote in message
    > Be careful of books. Every book I have reviewed uses a transitional
    > doctype and lots of deprecated elements and attributes. I am starting
    > to get serious about putting my notes together this summer and writing
    > my own book using zero deprecated items, HTML 4.01 strict (and why) and
    > CSS 2.1 pointing out the unsupported properties.

    Yeah, but, the problem is that I don't even know what a doctype IS. Now that
    site looked great, if I already had an idea. But it just seems the equilvent
    of going from putting a band aid on my finger to doing open heart surgery.

    Nonetheless, I'll study it in detail over the weekend. And many thanks.

    Jeff

    about_that_time, Mar 17, 2006
  6. about_that_time wrote:

    > Yeah, but, the problem is that I don't even know what a doctype IS.

    It does cover that ...

    http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/intro/sgmltut.html#h-3.1

    :)

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is