    I'm so much font of working with C++ . That's the reason why I'm not
    yet looked or craze about any other language. Still a question exists,
    really C++ is the best language in its category?
    Sarath, Mar 4, 2007

  2. Sarath

    dl Guest

    On 4 Mar, 17:53, "Sarath" <> wrote:
    > I'm so much font of working with C++ . That's the reason why I'm not
    > yet looked or craze about any other language. Still a question exists,
    > really C++ is the best language in its category?

    What about Objective C?
    dl, Mar 4, 2007

  3. Sarath

    Guest

    On Mar 4, 11:53 am, "Sarath" <> wrote:
    > I'm so much font of working with C++ . That's the reason why I'm not
    > yet looked or craze about any other language. Still a question exists,
    > really C++ is the best language in its category?

    C++ isn't just an OOP language. It supports procedural and generic
    programming as well. Not every problem is best modeled by objects.
    , Mar 4, 2007
  4. Sarath

    Jim Langston Guest

    "Sarath" <> wrote in message
    > I'm so much font of working with C++ . That's the reason why I'm not
    > yet looked or craze about any other language. Still a question exists,
    > really C++ is the best language in its category?

    It depends on what you want to use it for. For me it's a good all aroiund
    language for anything I want to do, but there are other languages that
    specialize in other thnings better.
    Jim Langston, Mar 4, 2007
  5. Sarath

    Ian Collins Guest

    Sarath wrote:
    > I'm so much font of working with C++ . That's the reason why I'm not
    > yet looked or craze about any other language. Still a question exists,
    > really C++ is the best language in its category?

    In which category do you place it?

    --
    Ian Collins.
    Ian Collins, Mar 4, 2007
  6. Sarath

    arnuld Guest

    > On Mar 4, 9:53 pm, "Sarath" <> wrote:
    > I'm so much font of working with C++ . That's the reason why I'm not
    > yet looked or craze about any other language.

    1st, you English is not good BUT who cares as long as we understand
    each-other's communication, when i feel i am unable to then i will ask
    for clarification :)

    > Still a question exists,
    > really C++ is the best language in its category?

    category ?

    C++ is a multi-paradigmatic programming language. it supports
    procedural, OO and generic programming paradigms. it is not a genuine
    OO language because it was designed to be pragmatic, to solve some of
    the biggest problems in softwares:

    http://www.research.att.com/~bs/oopsla.pdf
    http://www.research.att.com/~bs/new_learning.pdf
    http://www.research.att.com/~bs/dne.html

    BTW, in what category, you are putting C++? it does not matter but i
    am curious.

    2nd, i do not know is relevant here or not but i will put it here. in
    my country, INDIA, there are lots of jobs for programmers who carry
    these 3 skills:

    1. C++
    2. OOA-D with DPs
    3. Algorithms and Data-Structures in C++

    largest number of programming positions are for programmers who carry
    those 3 skills and i see C++ is the biggest tool for job-hunting in
    India.

    --arnuld
    http://arnuld.blogspot.com
    arnuld, Mar 5, 2007
  7. Sarath

    Sarath Guest

    > 1st, you English is not good BUT who cares as long as we understand
    > each-other's communication, when i feel i am unable to then i will ask
    > for clarification :)

    Sorry I'm not an English Native also not that much used with English
    Language. I'll try my level best to improve. I'm also from India.

    > Still a question exists,
    > really C++ is the best language in its category?

    Obviously C++ is in the category of Object Oriented Programming
    Languages. Actualy this is what I really tried to communicate by using
    the word "category".
    Smalltalk, Eiffel, ADA etc... are some of the OOP Languages which I
    only heard about.

    When I went through the new standard proposals, some of the proposed
    library extentions and other core language features are already there
    in the other programming languages which I mentioned above. That is
    the real trigger to post this question.

    Regards,
    Sarath
    My Blog:- http://sarathc.wordpress.com/
    Sarath, Mar 5, 2007
  8. Sarath

    arnuld Guest

    > On Mar 5, 9:17 am, "Sarath" <> wrote:

    Sarath, please do not remove quotes.

    > > 1st, you English is not good BUT who cares as long as we understand
    > > each-other's communication, when i feel i am unable to then i will ask
    > > for clarification :)

    ye said that.

    > Sorry I'm not an English Native also not that much used with English
    > Language. I'll try my level best to improve. I'm also from India.

    ok

    > > Still a question exists,
    > > really C++ is the best language in its category?

    i did not said that. you said so. whenever you want to reply to 2
    different posts, please create 2 posts for replying. do NOT reply to 2
    different posts in shot.

    got it ?

    > Obviously C++ is in the category of Object Oriented Programming
    > Languages. Actualy this is what I really tried to communicate by using
    > the word "category".

    > Smalltalk, Eiffel, ADA etc... are some of the OOP Languages which I
    > only heard about.

    [OT]
    i read some pages of Bertarnd Meyer's OOSC, Eiffel seems good and so
    is Ruby. never saw any smalltalk code.
    [/OT]

    > When I went through the new standard proposals, some of the proposed
    > library extentions and other core language features are already there
    > in the other programming languages which I mentioned above. That is
    > the real trigger to post this question.

    that is fine but 1st before asking any question, ask youself and think
    HARD:

    why you want C++ ?
    what are you planning to do with C++ ?

    i am clear on this, JOB issue. my personal favourite is Common Lisp.
    [1]

    -- arnuld
    http://arnuld.blogspot.com

    [1] http://www.gigamonkeys.com/book/
    arnuld, Mar 5, 2007
  9. Sarath

    W Karas Guest

    On Mar 4, 11:17 pm, "Sarath" <> wrote:
    > Sorry I'm not an English Native also not that much used with English
    > Language. I'll try my level best to improve. I'm also from India.

    India, the US, Australia and all the other former colonies
    each have their own dialect of English. If you learn
    a different dialect, there will always be someone who will
    tell you it's wrong. :)

    > > Still a question exists,
    > > really C++ is the best language in its category?

    > Obviously C++ is in the category of Object Oriented Programming
    > Languages. Actualy this is what I really tried to communicate by using
    > the word "category".
    > Smalltalk, Eiffel, ADA etc... are some of the OOP Languages which I
    > only heard about.

    In SmallTalk all objects (including those with primitive types)
    are created dynamically (new'ed). But the "pointers" to
    objects are untyped. If you want to write (for example)
    a "sort" function in C++ using OO, you have to assume
    the objects you sort inherit from some kind of "sortable"
    common base class. You don't have to worry about that
    in SmallTalk. You write your sort function using the
    untyped pointer. You will get a runtime error if you
    use "sort" on objects that don't have the necessary
    comparison operation that the sort function uses. In
    general terms, this means that the "dialect" of OO
    that is present in SmallTalk is more flexible than
    the combination of OO and Templates in C++.

    The price that is paid by SmallTalk (and similar
    languages) for this flexibility is that function calls
    normally require a hash table lookup, so they are
    slower than function calls in C++.

    SmallTalk has some silly "religous" rules, like
    all member variables have to private, and all
    member functions have to be public. C++ is
    a very practical language because (at least in
    the early days) proposed features were
    driven around the block a few times by Bell Labs
    programmers before going into the language.

    I don't care for SmallTalk's syntax, but of
    course everyone has there own ideas about
    aesthetics.

    As Dr. Stroustrup repeats constantly, there is
    no programming language that will always fill
    everyones needs in all situations better than
    all other languages.

    > When I went through the new standard proposals, some of the proposed
    > library extentions and other core language features are already there
    > in the other programming languages which I mentioned above. That is
    > the real trigger to post this question.

    This may be because C++ is meant to be capable
    of near-assembler performance under most OSes
    and CPU architectures. This is a big difference
    with Java, SmallTalk, etc. It makes it MUCH
    harder to design libraries and certain language
    features that can be implemented well in so
    many different target environments.
    W Karas, Mar 5, 2007
  10. Sarath

    Guest

    On Mar 4, 9:56 pm, "arnuld" <> wrote:
    > > On Mar 4, 9:53 pm, "Sarath" <> wrote:
    > > I'm so much font of working with C++ . That's the reason why I'm not
    > > yet looked or craze about any other language.

    > 1st, you English is not good BUT who cares as long as we understand
    > each-other's communication, when i feel i am unable to then i will ask
    > for clarification :)

    People in glass houses...
    , Mar 5, 2007
  11. Sarath

    arnuld Guest

    > On Mar 5, 8:07 pm, wrote:
    > On Mar 4, 9:56 pm, "arnuld" <> wrote:
    >
    > > > On Mar 4, 9:53 pm, "Sarath" <> wrote:
    > > > I'm so much font of working with C++ . That's the reason why I'm not
    > > > yet looked or craze about any other language.

    > > 1st, you English is not good BUT who cares as long as we understand
    > > each-other's communication, when i feel i am unable to then i will ask
    > > for clarification :)

    > People in glass houses...

    what does that mean ?
    arnuld, Mar 5, 2007
  12. Sarath

    Marcus Kwok Guest

    [OT] Glass Houses (was: Re: Best OOP Language)

    arnuld <> wrote:
    >> On Mar 5, 8:07 pm, wrote:
    >> People in glass houses...

    > what does that mean ?

    "People who live in glass houses should not throw stones"
    http://www.goenglish.com/PeopleWhoLiveInGlassHousesShouldNotThrowStones.asp
    for an explanation of what this idiom means.

    --
    Marcus Kwok
    Replace 'invalid' with 'net' to reply
    Marcus Kwok, Mar 5, 2007