    I didn'd find anything pertinent ....

    If you have a good link you are welcome :)

    Regards,

    Gabriel, Jun 14, 2008

  2. In many ways, this is like asking: Which is better, a hammer or a
    screwdriver?

    It really depends on your goals. Let me give a what if. Suppose you want the
    highest performing application. It is going to be a monolithic application
    where all of the code is in a single executable. It will also likely be in
    assembly code of some sort or at the very least some lower level language
    like C. The reason is you do not want anything more than one executable is
    you do not want to take any chances of marshalling across any boundaries.
    Now, there are times you need this application. But, in most cases, you have
    to trade off some of this performance for things like maintainability,
    scalability, etc.

    > In which case use Connected or Disconnected mode

    In general, you will want to build software as a service. The implication
    here is your data layer is considered a service that your business layer
    uses. Your business layer is a service your UI works with. I say works with
    here, as we are moving more towards MVC and MVP type of patterns in this
    space. This means the controller marries pieces and not an ASPX page. While
    the difference is subtle in some ways, it is radical in others.

    Taking this model, it makes sense that data is portable. It cannot be easily
    portable if you are connected to the source all of the time. Now, what you
    choose to use for portability is up for grabs. The trend is towards custom
    objects, but custom objects have a downside of potentially being coupled
    tightly to your data model. This leads people to ORM tools, of which LINQ is
    not one, no matter what people sell it at (LINQ is ORM-like in many ways,
    thus the confusion). THe push to ORM is so you can regenerate your objects
    when business changes without having to resort to a lot of recoding.

    But, you might decide that a DataSet is fine as a custom object. It is
    deconstructable into individual objects, so this is not necessarily a bad
    thing.

    What is important here is you really cannot stay connected all the time.
    First, it requires that you maintain a connection to a database, which is an
    expensive resource to remain connected to. This is due to many factors,
    including the memory on the database server (and web server) to maintain the
    connection, as well as the expense of locking, etc.

    > Typed dataset or not ?

    The biggest benefit of being strongly typed is finding out you have a
    problem at design time rather than run time. Depending on what resources
    your company has devoted to testing, this can be critical to a good
    application. Does this mean a strongly typed Dataset? Not necessarily, as
    business objects are also "strongly typed". In many circles, the move is
    away from strongly typed datasets to LINQ, but this is a good strategy, long
    term, if you are flipping from the anonymous types to actual business
    objects, especially if you are moving objects across class boundaries.

    Hope this helps clear up the mud a bit.

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP, MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    Subscribe to my blog

    or just read it:
    http://gregorybeamer.spaces.live.com/

    | Think outside the box! |

    Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\), Jun 14, 2008

  3. Gabriel

    Munna Guest

    Munna, Jun 14, 2008