Best practice for combining typed DataTables for display in GridView

J055

Hi

I need to search a number of DataTables within a DataSet (with some
relationships) and then display the filtered results in a GridView. The
Columns that need to be displayed come from 2 of the tables but the search
needs check 3 or 4 tables. Do I need to create a new DataTable which has the
columns from both the tables so I can display in the Gridview or can I get
the columns somehow from the DataSet without creating a new table?

I feel like I'm missing something when it comes to getting the benefits of
DataTable relationships in terms of combining them for display in a flat
GridView.

Any ideas suggestions, pointers to examples would be appreciated.

Thanks
Andrew

Eliyahu Goldin

The simple answer is make another table.

GridView gets data from a datasource. Datasource is an object. Two tables
are two objects. You have to make one single object out of columns you need
and databind to it. An obvious way is to make another DataTable, but there
could be reasons for choosing different classes.

J055

Thanks Eliyahu

That's kind of what I was coming round to thinking. If I create a DataTable
without a TableAdapter then I can populate it with the data I need from the
results search and hopefully without too much extra typing!

Thanks again
Andrew

--
Eliyahu Goldin,