Best practice for multiple "companies" in one database/site

Guest

Hello,

I have a large commerce app, hosted for several hundred companies (i.e. each
"company" is a small business selling something through my site, independent
of all the others).

Each company has a unique ID (e.g. 12345), which is a primary key in the
tables for products, customers, etc. That key also identifies
company-specific customization of my site, such as text strings, various
styles, etc.

I am hosting the app for all customers from a single site and with a single
database. The end customers come to my/my customer's site in one of three
ways: 1) via me.com/myCustomer or 2) via myCustomer.me.com or 3) via
myCustomer.com.

Given all that, here's my question: When a customer comes in via one of the
three ways, how do I then map that to the url I really want, e.g.
me.com?CompanyID=12345? (I have a table that associates the entry point with
the actual ID)

I think it might involve url rewriting, but I've not done that, and there
might be better ways. Any "best practice" thoughts from similar situations
are appreciated.

tia,

Bill

Kevin Spencer

Hi Bill,

It's really a simple matter of redirecting with a QueryString. Of course,
I'm assuming that you do have a method in place that identifies the Comany
ID of the company.

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

Karl Seguin

I agree with your assessment that URL Rewriting would be the way to go. I
wrote a bit about it at:
http://openmymind.net/localization/index2.html#urlrewrite

it's with respect to cultures, but you should be able to use it for your own
needs.

The basic idea is on Begin_Request you figure out the customer id (via your
association table) and simply do a
Context.RewritePath("index.aspx?CompanyId=" + CompanyId.ToString());

Karl