    Comments/suggestions welcome!

    TIA
    Iain
    Iain, Oct 14, 2009

  2. Iain wrote:
    > All,
    >
    > I need to embed page at the top of my site that stays fixed, so when the
    > user scrolls up & down the page the button(s) remain at the top of the
    > page.
    >
    > Frames seems the way to go, butI've read some negative comments
    > regarding using frames.
    >
    > Comments/suggestions welcome!
    >
    > TIA
    > Iain

    The drawback with using frames is that it's harder to link to the page.
    Unless you add extra code in the frameset so that you can specify a page
    in the query string, you can only link to the start page.

    Search engines will tend to link to the content pages, where the
    information is, rather than the frameset. People will land either on a
    page without navigation, or on a page with only a few buttons that
    doesn't work...

    You can very easily accomplish something quite similar using css. For
    example something like:

    Buttons go here
    Content goes here

    (The CSS would of course rather go in a style sheet than inline.)

    --
    Göran Andersson
    _____
    Göran Andersson, Oct 14, 2009

  3. Iain

    Scott M. Guest

    "Göran Andersson" <> wrote in message
    > Iain wrote:
    >> All,
    >>
    >> I need to embed page at the top of my site that stays fixed, so when the
    >> user scrolls up & down the page the button(s) remain at the top of the
    >> page.
    >>
    >> Frames seems the way to go, butI've read some negative comments regarding
    >> using frames.
    >>
    >> Comments/suggestions welcome!
    >>
    >> TIA
    >> Iain

    > The drawback with using frames is that it's harder to link to the page.
    > Unless you add extra code in the frameset so that you can specify a page
    > in the query string, you can only link to the start page.
    >
    > Search engines will tend to link to the content pages, where the
    > information is, rather than the frameset. People will land either on a
    > page without navigation, or on a page with only a few buttons that doesn't
    > work...
    >
    > You can very easily accomplish something quite similar using css. For
    > example something like:

    > Buttons go here
    > Content goes here
    >
    > (The CSS would of course rather go in a style sheet than inline.)
    >
    > --
    > Göran Andersson
    > _____
    > http://www.guffa.com

    I think that you'll probably find more people advocating CSS over frames,
    but even so, I do belive that frames can work in many situations, just fine.
    And, that they may be a better choice when the audience could be using any
    browser. Since browsers do vary in their compliance for CSS, frames could
    work out to be better.

    Solving the linking problem that Goran mentions can be done easily with a
    simple JavaScript.

    In my experience, the people that have bad things to say about frames have
    always tended to be the ones that either didn't understand them properly or
    saw someone using them improperly.

    -Scott
    Scott M., Oct 14, 2009