Best Practice: Label/String storage for language conversion

James Tillery

We have an App which has hundreds of ASP pages with thousands of labels and
strings. We also sell this to all different countries. What we have done
is to create a txt file with a number and text pairs and have an object at
the app level which reads this and converts a given number to the string
which it represents. This text file is used by the purchaser to convert to
their own language.

We are now going to convert to ASP.NET. My question is, is there a better
way to provide text for conversion and subsequent use by the server?

Thanks,

Jim

James Tillery

Very nice...thanks

Jim

Karl said:
James,
I've written a two-part tutorial on creating multilingual websites using
ASP.Net, I think you'll find it useful:

http://openmymind.net/localization/index.html
http://openmymind.net/localization/index2.html

It describes the method of using XML files to store values in a key=>value
pair, the class used to interface with these files, server controls to
easily have labels display the right language and database design as well
as
url rewriting...

Karl