Best practices for deploying many web services on IIS ?

kingski

What are the best practices to deploy on production server 10 web services?

a. As creating one virtual directory "webservices" and 10 directories under
that for every one of the web services. So access will be:

http:\\www.nameserver.com\webservices\ws1\ws1.asmx

http:\\www.nameserver.com\webservices\ws2\ws2.asmx

..

http:\\www.nameserver.com\webservices\ws3\ws10.asmx

b. As creating virtual directory for every of the web service that we have.
So access will be

http:\\www.nameserver.com\ws1\ws1.asmx

http:\\www.nameserver.com\ws2\ws2.asmx

..

http:\\www.nameserver.com\ws3\ws10.asmx

Kevin Yu

if all asmx service is doing different thing, then you can just put then in
one virtual directory.

now there are difference in IIS 5 and IIS 6, since you can run IIS app is
isolation mode in IIS 6
check it out.

Kevin

Keith Elder

I usually organize my web services based on the namespaces. It is
easier to remember where you put things, and if you name the namespaces
right then it will make sense to other developers.