    have a similar feature? How do most people deploy their sites to a remote
    server from Visual Studio?

    Thanks in advance.
    deko, Apr 23, 2004

  2. deko wrote:

    > Newbie ASP.NET question:
    >
    > Now that I've created an ASP.NET site, how to I get it to my hosting
    > provider?
    >
    > I've developed sites with Dreamweaver MX in the past - with Dreamweaver,
    > it's very easy. The ability to link to the remote site (via FTP) is built
    > into the IDE and all you have to do is click upload. Does Visual Studio
    > have a similar feature? How do most people deploy their sites to a remote
    > server from Visual Studio?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    VS.NET has the ability to "copy" the site to a remote website (it's in
    one of the top-level menus).
    This allows you to copy only the required files for running the
    application (usually only *.aspx, *.dll, *.config, *.resx files).

    Personally, I do a manual xcopy-style deployment, but for a large
    application this is hardly ideal.

    --
    Philip Q
    Microsoft MVP [ASP.NET]
    Philip Q [MVP], Apr 23, 2004

  3. deko

    deko Guest

    > VS.NET has the ability to "copy" the site to a remote website (it's in
    > one of the top-level menus).
    > This allows you to copy only the required files for running the
    > application (usually only *.aspx, *.dll, *.config, *.resx files).
    >
    > Personally, I do a manual xcopy-style deployment, but for a large
    > application this is hardly ideal.
    >
    > --
    > Philip Q
    > Microsoft MVP [ASP.NET]

    Hi and thanks for the reply. I found the "Copy Project" selection under the
    "Project" menu. In the Copy Project window I can set the Destination
    project folder, Web access method, and Copy options (e.g. Only files needed
    to run app, All project files, All files in source project folder). The
    problem is it's not clear how to set FTP login parameters - does this
    feature support FTP as a "Web access method"? The only selections appear to
    be FrontPage and FileShare. I will be very disappointed if uploading my
    site takes anything more than a click.

    As you know, most hosting providers only allow FTP access for uploading
    sites to their servers. If VS.NET can't do this, are there other solutions
    you'd recommend? Perhpas a VS.NET add-in or something?
    deko, Apr 23, 2004
  4. deko

    deko Guest

    > VS.NET has the ability to "copy" the site to a remote website (it's in
    > one of the top-level menus).
    > This allows you to copy only the required files for running the
    > application (usually only *.aspx, *.dll, *.config, *.resx files).
    >
    > Personally, I do a manual xcopy-style deployment, but for a large
    > application this is hardly ideal.
    >
    > --
    > Philip Q
    > Microsoft MVP [ASP.NET]

    This appears to be a real barf bag with VS.NET - no integrated FTP upload to
    hosting provider from the IDE. You would think the folks at MS were paid
    well enough to think of this...
    deko, Apr 23, 2004