Best practices for web template

Discussion in 'HTML' started by jacob@graftechnology.com, Nov 26, 2007.

  1. Guest

    I find myself building websites all the time and I am thinking I
    should have a starting point template so I don't have to waste time re-
    creating something I have already created in the past.

    Just want to make sure I am doing it right. I am fluent in HTML,
    XHTML, CSS, PHP and more and want to know what the best way to build a
    starting point template is? Right now I have one index.php file that
    links to an external css file and includes a head.php and scripts.php
    file (head is for doctype, title, etc and scripts is all scripts)

    Is this the best way to do it?

    Also, I think I'd like to learn a php templating engine so I can make
    my sites very easy to tweak in the future without having to re-create
    all pages. Is this a good idea? I have been looking at Smarty.
    Thoughts?

    Also, I am looking for a SIMPLE CMS solution. As a developer I'd like
    to define what fields, etc I'd like to use the CMS for and then have
    it spit out PHP/mySQL code that I can put into the site and administer
    the content from a user-accessible web portal. I have looked at
    Drupal, Mamba, XOOPS, etc but they all look like whole-site solutions.
    I really want a content/sections based solution.

    Sorry for so many questions! Just looking for some feedback! Thanks!

    , Nov 26, 2007

  2. Chaddy2222 Guest

    On Nov 27, 1:55 am, wrote:
    > I find myself building websites all the time and I am thinking I
    > should have a starting point template so I don't have to waste time re-
    > creating something I have already created in the past.
    >
    > Just want to make sure I am doing it right. I am fluent in HTML,
    > XHTML, CSS, PHP and more and want to know what the best way to build a
    > starting point template is? Right now I have one index.php file that
    > links to an external css file and includes a head.php and scripts.php
    > file (head is for doctype, title, etc and scripts is all scripts)
    >
    > Is this the best way to do it?
    >
    > Also, I think I'd like to learn a php templating engine so I can make
    > my sites very easy to tweak in the future without having to re-create
    > all pages. Is this a good idea? I have been looking at Smarty.
    > Thoughts?

    I use PHP includes for nav and footer content.

    > Also, I am looking for a SIMPLE CMS solution. As a developer I'd like
    > to define what fields, etc I'd like to use the CMS for and then have
    > it spit out PHP/mySQL code that I can put into the site and administer
    > the content from a user-accessible web portal. I have looked at
    > Drupal, Mamba, XOOPS, etc but they all look like whole-site solutions.
    > I really want a content/sections based solution.

    Perhaps look at a blog type engion?.

    > Sorry for so many questions! Just looking for some feedback! Thanks!

    Well, Wordpress is perhaps a good enough solution for the content
    management stuff or you could just use PHP includes for that as
    well.

    Chaddy2222, Nov 27, 2007

    On Nov 27, 1:07 am, Chaddy2222 <spamlovermailbox-
    > wrote:
    > On Nov 27, 1:55 am, wrote:
    >
    > > I find myself building websites all the time and I am thinking I
    > > should have a starting point template so I don't have to waste time re-
    > > creating something I have already created in the past.

    > > Just want to make sure I am doing it right. I am fluent in HTML,
    > > XHTML, CSS, PHP and more and want to know what the best way to build a
    > > starting point template is? Right now I have one index.php file that
    > > links to an external css file and includes a head.php and scripts.php
    > > file (head is for doctype, title, etc and scripts is all scripts)

    > > Is this the best way to do it?

    > > Also, I think I'd like to learn a php templating engine so I can make
    > > my sites very easy to tweak in the future without having to re-create
    > > all pages. Is this a good idea? I have been looking at Smarty.
    > > Thoughts?

    > I use PHP includes for nav and footer content.
    >
    > > Also, I am looking for a SIMPLE CMS solution. As a developer I'd like
    > > to define what fields, etc I'd like to use the CMS for and then have
    > > it spit out PHP/mySQL code that I can put into the site and administer
    > > the content from a user-accessible web portal. I have looked at
    > > Drupal, Mamba, XOOPS, etc but they all look like whole-site solutions.
    > > I really want a content/sections based solution.

    > Perhaps look at a blog type engion?.
    >
    > > Sorry for so many questions! Just looking for some feedback! Thanks!

    > Well, Wordpress is perhaps a good enough solution for the content
    > management stuff or you could just use PHP includes for that as
    > well.
    > --
    > Regards Chad.http://freewebdesignonline.org

    The problem I have with Wordpress and Blog type apps is that the
    interface it tied down so much, it's hard to make a custom site with
    it.

    , Nov 27, 2007