Best Practices Question #1 and #2

Support

Hello:
I am deploying a new asp.net web site on IIS.
QUESTION #1:
Where should I put any dll that I create .... in the bin folder below the
application or in a central folder (that seems to allow sharing of
components better...)

QUESTION #2:
Global Access Cache (GAC): what should I do with this ... do I need to use
it ...

Thanks
Terry

Karl Seguin

Place dll's in the bin under the root

Worry about the GAC if you have assemblies you want to reuse across multiple
applications. Even so, you could redeploy them with each application, which
is trivial depending on how your source control is set up. If you aren't
sure if you need to place assemblies in the GAC, I'd say you don't :)

Karl

Guest

Support said:
Hello:
I am deploying a new asp.net web site on IIS.
QUESTION #1:
Where should I put any dll that I create .... in the bin folder below the
application or in a central folder (that seems to allow sharing of
components better...)
You can put the dlls that u create in the bin folder of ur
application if only the existing application uses it.
QUESTION #2:
Global Access Cache (GAC): what should I do with this ... do I need to use
it ...
GAC is the global assembly storage.if u want any assembly(.dll)
which is to be used by all applications u can register in GAC with strong
name and use it