Best Python Editor

Manoj Kumar P

Hi,

Can anyone tell me a good python editor/IDE?
It would be great if you can provide the download link also.

Thank You,
-Manoj-

"SASKEN RATED Among THE Top 3 BEST COMPANIES TO WORK FOR IN INDIA - SURVEY 2005 conducted by the BUSINESS TODAY - Mercer - TNS India"

SASKEN BUSINESS DISCLAIMER
This message may contain confidential, proprietary or legally Privileged information. In case you are not the original intended Recipient of the message, you must not, directly or indirectly, use, Disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message and you are requested to delete it and inform the sender. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender unless otherwise stated. Nothing contained in this message shall be construed as an offer or acceptance of any offer by Sasken Communication Technologies Limited ("Sasken") unless sent with that express intent and with due authority of Sasken. Sasken has taken enough precautions to prevent the spread of viruses. However the company accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email

Max M

Manoj said:
Hi,

Can anyone tell me a good python editor/IDE?
It would be great if you can provide the download link also.

pydev on top of eclipse is a nice tool.

--

hilsen/regards Max M, Denmark

http://www.mxm.dk/
IT's Mad Science

Phone: +45 66 11 84 94
Mobile: +45 29 93 42 96

bruno at modulix

Manoj said:
Hi,

Can anyone tell me a good python editor/IDE?
It would be great if you can provide the download link also.

I hate to be the one answering this, but this is *really* a FAQ - as you
would have known if you had google'd this group for this.

Franz Steinhaeusler

Hi,

Can anyone tell me a good python editor/IDE?
It would be great if you can provide the download link also.

For a simple start:
Scite is small, good, cross platform, free and open source
and you can launch the program easy hitting F5 (run).

Of course there are more powerful editors as vim, (x)emacs,
jedit, ...

but that depends on your intentions.

yairchu

Can anyone tell me a good python editor/IDE?
It would be great if you can provide the download link also.

WingIDE is very good.
It gives very nice completions and has a nice thing called "source
assistant" that shows the help of the function you're standing on and
etc.
But I don't think it's open-source and freei if that bothers you
http://www.wingware.com/

Another good one is idlespoon.
this one is open-source and freei
http://idlespoon.python-hosting.com/

Rony Steelandt

I have to admit that I'm testing eclipse with pydev at the moment, and
it looks realy good

Rony
[...]

---
Rony Steelandt
BuCodi
rony dot steelandt (at) bucodi dot com

Visit the python blog at http://360.yahoo.com/bucodi

vadim.feelsgood

I use WingIDE too. It is very convenient. Good auto-completion feature.
It is not so heavy as Komodo.
WingIDE was my the second step after Komodo.
Just try it and u'll understand how it is good.

sturnfie

In a windows enviroment, I am a big fan of conTEXT

http://www.context.cx/

.. Very powerful syntax highlighting for many, many languages
.. project workspace support
.. code template support
.. great file browsing and favorites support
.. good search/replace support across all open files

In a unix enviroment, i use eclipse or vim

Joined
Sep 4, 2010
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
gedit

I am starting out with python myself and have looked at the suggestions on this page and others and after trying a bunch of editors and IDEs I am a bit surprised that no one mentions gedit.

I began learning HTML and Latex on windows machines using wordpad so when I started using Linux boxes gedit, with syntax highlighting and spell check was a very very nice upgrade.

gedit works well with python too. I like the way it highlights syntax better than any of the others I have tried. It manges to highlight self. where none of the others do.

I like using command-line-like color schemes.

All the Linux people I know would never here of this. It is all VIM VIM VIM, Gmacs gmacs gmacs.

Vim does look slick, and by VIM I mean Cream, but it seems that just doing basic text editor stuff is a pain in the arrse.