Best Python IDE Code Completion!

John

Hi,
Could you give your opinions on the best code completion in Python
IDEs. My only complaint with PythonWin has been that the code
completion support is incomplete. The interactive mode has better
behavior than the editor. Tried to fix it but could not. Boa is not
too different. At least when I last checked (a few months ago) Komodo
and Visual Python were not very different either.

Wing IDE seems converse. The editor auto list members is great but
has no calltips. The interactive window has no completion at all.

I have not checked PythonWorks and Black Adder in a while but their
web sites do not seem to brag much in this direction.

Python has great introspective capabilities and we have a great open
contributing community. What technical difficulties keep us from
having REAL code completion like MS, Borland and several Java IDEs
(All of which have been funded at one time or the other if not
entirely - perhaps this is the reason?)

For me, code completion is a very important part of the coding
experience and I really miss it in Python in it's full effect.

Mirko Zeibig

John said the following on 01/15/2004 12:52 PM:
Wing IDE seems converse. The editor auto list members is great but
has no calltips. The interactive window has no completion at all.
I second this, though the editor sometimes need a bit of help ...
and I do not like the MDI approach they have.
Python has great introspective capabilities and we have a great open
contributing community. What technical difficulties keep us from
having REAL code completion like MS, Borland and several Java IDEs
(All of which have been funded at one time or the other if not
entirely - perhaps this is the reason?)

Python is dynamically typed, so no editor in the world can guess the
type of any function parameters correctly. If you know about the true
nature of one, you may assist Wing IDE by using isinstance.

class Klass(object):

def hello(self):
print "Hello"

def foo(bar):
assert isinstance(bar, Klass)
bar.hello()

Without the assert line, it's impossible to detect which type bar has.
Only during runtime the type of bar is known.

Regards
Mirko

yshurik

John said:
Hi,
Could you give your opinions on the best code completion in Python
IDEs. My only complaint with PythonWin has been that the code
completion support is incomplete. The interactive mode has better
behavior than the editor. Tried to fix it but could not. Boa is not
too different. At least when I last checked (a few months ago) Komodo
and Visual Python were not very different either.

Wing IDE seems converse. The editor auto list members is great but
has no calltips. The interactive window has no completion at all.

I have not checked PythonWorks and Black Adder in a while but their
web sites do not seem to brag much in this direction.

About BlackAdder: because it is oriented to GUI programming.
in version 1.1 it will have completion for Qt classes and functions.
and completion to all words which happens in edited text.
(it is Vi - like style of completion - Ctrl-N, Ctrl-P)

Rudy Schockaert

yshurik said:
John wrote:

About BlackAdder: because it is oriented to GUI programming.
in version 1.1 it will have completion for Qt classes and functions.
and completion to all words which happens in edited text.
(it is Vi - like style of completion - Ctrl-N, Ctrl-P)
Have you checked out SPE (Stani's Python Editor):

Spe is a python IDE with wxGlade GUI designer, auto-indentation, auto
completion, call tips, syntax coloring, syntax highlighting, class
explorer, source index, auto todo list, sticky notes, integrated pycrust
shell, python file browser, recent file browser, drag&drop, context
help, ... Special is its blender support with a blender 3d object
browser and its ability to run interactively inside blender. Spe is
extensible with boa.

You can find it at http://spe.pycs.net/