    will eventually go on to learning Rails.

    Which book would you recommend on buying & reading?

    Thank you.
    Kamil Chmielewski, Jan 4, 2008

  2. Kamil Chmielewski wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have about 5 years of work experience in programming websites, and
    > would like to learn Ruby. I would like to learn Ruby first, and then
    > will eventually go on to learning Rails.
    >
    > Which book would you recommend on buying & reading?
    >
    > Thank you.

    In addition, my work experience is primarily in Java, and JSP, with the
    Spring framework
    Kamil Chmielewski, Jan 4, 2008

  3. Kamil Chmielewski

    Joe Guest

    I've been looking at this book:
    http://www.amazon.com/Beginning-Rub...bs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1199489789&sr=8-1

    It seems to do a pretty good job. A good way to learn the language is
    to participate in the site: http://rubyquiz.com/

    Joe

    Joe, Jan 4, 2008
  4. Kamil Chmielewski

    Tim Hunter Guest

    Kamil Chmielewski wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have about 5 years of work experience in programming websites, and
    > would like to learn Ruby. I would like to learn Ruby first, and then
    > will eventually go on to learning Rails.
    >
    > Which book would you recommend on buying & reading?
    >
    > Thank you.

    The canonical Ruby book is _Programming_Ruby_ by Dave Thomas. It's now
    nearing its 3rd edition. For Ruby and Rails, _Ruby_For_Rails_ by David
    A. Black.

    --
    RMagick: http://rmagick.rubyforge.org/
    RMagick 2: http://rmagick.rubyforge.org/rmagick2.html
    Tim Hunter, Jan 4, 2008
  5. Kamil Chmielewski

    Evan Haveman Guest

    >> I have about 5 years of work experience in programming websites, and
    >> would like to learn Ruby. I would like to learn Ruby first, and then
    >> will eventually go on to learning Rails.
    >>
    >> Which book would you recommend on buying & reading?

    coming from a similar background, i really enjoyed "the ruby way"

    http://www.amazon.com/Ruby-Way-Second-Addison-Wesley-Professional/dp/
    0672328844/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1199491338&sr=8-1
    Evan Haveman, Jan 5, 2008
  6. On Jan 5, 1:02 am, Evan Haveman <> wrote:
    > [Note:  parts of this message were removed to make it a legal post.]
    >
    > >> I have about 5 years of work experience in programming websites, and
    > >> would like to learn Ruby. I would like to learn Ruby first, and then
    > >> will eventually go on to learning Rails.

    > >> Which book would you recommend on buying & reading?

    > coming from a similar background, i really enjoyed "the ruby way"
    >
    > http://www.amazon.com/Ruby-Way-Second-Addison-Wesley-Professional/dp/
    > 0672328844/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1199491338&sr=8-1

    I would recommend "The Ruby Way" as well. I think it will suit you
    better than "Programming Ruby".
    Bjørn Arild Mæland, Jan 5, 2008
  7. Kamil Chmielewski

    Victor Reyes Guest

    I have a dozen or so Ruby books, although I am still trying to learn the
    language.
    Programming Ruby and The Ruby Way are among the one I use the most. Lately,
    however, I am making use of *Teach Yourself* *Ruby in 21 Days. *This book
    gives you exercises at the end of each chapter.
    I make extensive use of the forum by posting my questions and monitoring
    others Q&A.

    On Jan 4, 2008 7:20 PM, Bj=F8rn Arild M=E6land <> wr=
    ote:

    > On Jan 5, 1:02am, Evan Haveman <> wrote:
    > > [Note: parts of this message were removed to make it a legal post.]

    > > coming from a similar background, i really enjoyed "the ruby way"
    > >
    > > http://www.amazon.com/Ruby-Way-Second-Addison-Wesley-Professional/dp/
    > > 0672328844/ref=3Dpd_bbs_sr_1?ie=3DUTF8&s=3Dbooks&qid=3D1199491338&sr=3D=

    8-1

    Victor Reyes, Jan 5, 2008
  8. Bjørn Arild Mæland wrote:

    > I would recommend "The Ruby Way" as well.

    I have the first edition of "The Ruby Way". Does anyone know if there
    are substantial differences between the 1st and 2nd editions? If so, in
    what areas?

    Best regards,

    Jari Williamsson
    Jari Williamsson, Jan 5, 2008
  9. Kamil Chmielewski

    James Britt Guest

    Jari Williamsson wrote:
    > Bjørn Arild Mæland wrote:
    >
    >> I would recommend "The Ruby Way" as well.

    > I have the first edition of "The Ruby Way". Does anyone know if there
    > are substantial differences between the 1st and 2nd editions? If so, in
    > what areas?

    It's bigger.

    :)

    Also, it has a kick-ass (albeit increasingly outdated) section on Web
    frameworks .

    :) :)

    Seriously, it really does cover much more material, and it's a real
    improvement over the 1st ed.

    Go get it!

    --
    James Britt

    www.risingtidesoftware.com - Wicked Cool Coding
    James Britt, Jan 5, 2008
  10. Kamil Chmielewski

    Tim Hunter Guest

    Jari Williamsson wrote:
    > Bjørn Arild Mæland wrote:
    >
    >> I would recommend "The Ruby Way" as well.

    > I have the first edition of "The Ruby Way". Does anyone know if there
    > are substantial differences between the 1st and 2nd editions? If so, in
    > what areas?

    Well, the 2nd edition has a huge section about RMagick. That right there
    is worth the price :)

    Tim Hunter, Jan 5, 2008
  11. On Jan 5, 2008 1:31 PM, Tim Hunter <> wrote:
    > Jari Williamsson wrote:
    > > Bj=F8rn Arild M=E6land wrote:
    > >
    > >> I would recommend "The Ruby Way" as well.

    > > I have the first edition of "The Ruby Way". Does anyone know if there
    > > are substantial differences between the 1st and 2nd editions? If so, in
    > > what areas?
    > >

    > Well, the 2nd edition has a huge section about RMagick. That right there
    > is worth the price :)

    The Ruby Way certainly covers a lot of material, and is a formidable tome.

    On the other hand, and I've hesitated about saying this for some time
    because I respect Hal's accomplishment and the effort, it's riddled
    with lots of mostly small errors. There's a small official list of
    errata, but it hasn't been kept up. I'd sent Hal quite a few and he
    said that he had gotten quite a few more and intended to update the
    errata, but doesn't seem to have gotten around to it. The new book
    "The Rails Way" in the same series, seems to have fewer errors and
    Obie is keeping a fairly active errata list using lighthouse for use
    in preparing new printings.

    I found that the Rails Way was good to read once, as a way to come up
    to speed on the breadth of the Ruby scene at least as it was in early
    2007 when the 2nd edition was published, and I've no doubt that it's
    still valuable in that way. But I've found resources like following
    and contributing to mailing lists like this, google, blogs, and
    reading code to be the most valuable ways to keep up with Ruby.

    It's very hard for printed books to keep up with technologies like
    Ruby these days, they tend to be obsolete almost as soon as they are
    published.

    --=20
    Rick DeNatale

    My blog on Ruby
    http://talklikeaduck.denhaven2.com/
    Rick DeNatale, Jan 5, 2008
  12. Giles Bowkett, Jan 5, 2008
  13. Victor Reyes wrote:
    > I have a dozen or so Ruby books, although I am still trying to learn the
    > language.
    > Programming Ruby and The Ruby Way are among the one I use the most. Lately,
    > however, I am making use of *Teach Yourself* *Ruby in 21 Days. *This book
    > gives you exercises at the end of each chapter.
    > I make extensive use of the forum by posting my questions and monitoring
    > others Q&A.
    >
    > On Jan 4, 2008 7:20 PM, Bjørn Arild Mæland <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Jan 5, 1:02am, Evan Haveman <> wrote:
    >>> [Note: parts of this message were removed to make it a legal post.]

    >>> coming from a similar background, i really enjoyed "the ruby way"
    >>>
    >>> http://www.amazon.com/Ruby-Way-Second-Addison-Wesley-Professional/dp/
    >>> 0672328844/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1199491338&sr=8-1

    >> I would recommend "The Ruby Way" as well. I think it will suit you
    >> better than "Programming Ruby".

    As far as I'm concerned, for an *experienced* programmer who wants to
    learn Ruby, there is only one book -- the Pickaxe aka _Programming
    Ruby_. The others are all good/great in their own way, but the Pickaxe
    is the definitive reference manual (in English, anyhow) on the language.

    Going on to Rails is another thing entirely. _Agile Web Development with
    Rails_ is probably the best place to start, but for Rails, I personally
    think you're *much* better off with live classroom training than trying
    to pick it up from a book or bunch of books.
    M. Edward (Ed) Borasky, Jan 6, 2008
  14. Giles Bowkett wrote:
    > Personally I found "The Ruby Way" the most useful book, "Ruby For
    > Rails" the best explanation of metaprogramming and Ruby OOP, and
    > "Programming Ruby" I mostly use for its reference section (sorry) and
    > detail on things like Gems and IRB.

    I have also just gotten _Design Patterns In Ruby_. I picked it up
    because it covers an area of practice where I have little experience,
    and does it in Ruby. I think if you're an old OOP hand, you can probably
    live without it. The chapters on DSLs and metaprogramming are excellent,
    though I think you're right about _Ruby for Rails_ being the best
    explanations.
    M. Edward (Ed) Borasky, Jan 6, 2008
  15. > > Personally I found "The Ruby Way" the most useful book, "Ruby For
    > > Rails" the best explanation of metaprogramming and Ruby OOP, and
    > > "Programming Ruby" I mostly use for its reference section (sorry) and
    > > detail on things like Gems and IRB.

    > I have also just gotten _Design Patterns In Ruby_. I picked it up
    > because it covers an area of practice where I have little experience,
    > and does it in Ruby. I think if you're an old OOP hand, you can probably
    > live without it. The chapters on DSLs and metaprogramming are excellent,
    > though I think you're right about _Ruby for Rails_ being the best
    > explanations.

    I'm a book hoe. I may pick that up just for the DSL stuff. I need some
    good stuff on DSLs, this thingy I'm working on is mega stalled due to
    lack of DSL fu.

    I got a new book which I hesitate to recommend YET because I haven't
    worked through it all and I want to cherish my secret weapon, but for
    the hell of it, it's "Practical Ruby Projects," and if it rocks even
    just half as much as it looks like, it's quite a book. It's all
    projects, obviously - build this, build that - and the projects
    include a Lisp interpreter and a live MIDI code generator (or possibly
    semi-live - hopefully I'll be able to tell you for sure later today).

    --
    Giles Bowkett

    Blog: http://gilesbowkett.blogspot.com
    Portfolio: http://www.gilesgoatboy.org
    Tumblelog: http://giles.tumblr.com
    Giles Bowkett, Jan 6, 2008
  16. Kamil Chmielewski

    Tim Ferrell Guest

    Giles Bowkett wrote:

    > "Programming Ruby" I mostly use for its reference section (sorry) and
    > detail on things like Gems and IRB.

    Same here... yet I'd really like a printed version of the complete API
    and library. I know I have it electronically but I can browse a book
    away from the computer ... and yeah, I guess I am that geeky, to browse
    a programming reference book for "fun" :)

    Overall I'd have to say the "best" book for a seasoned programmer has
    yet to appear... one is sort of stuck gleaning the best bits from
    several sources unfortunately.

    BTW, are there any good books or other sources that deal with creating C
    extensions?
    Tim Ferrell, Jan 6, 2008
  17. Kamil Chmielewski

    Tim Hunter Guest

    Tim Hunter, Jan 6, 2008
  18. Kamil Chmielewski

    John Joyce Guest

    The Pickaxe is a vital reference book for anybody doing anything with
    Ruby.
    After you read it and do some things, you can keep going back to it.
    (until you're an expert on Ruby, but even then...)
    The tutorial/example section could use some clean up and I wouldn't
    expect anyone to rely on that alone, as it doesn't go deep into
    anything but the basics fo Ruby.
    Beginning Ruby more than makes up for this, as a great tutorial of
    Ruby in many different use-scenarios.
    The Ruby Cookbook can't be denied either.

    As for Rails, AWDWR's second half should be had as a reference, but
    not until Rails 2 version is out. The tutorial portion is a mess but
    informative if you've first read other books on Rails.
    I would recommend this as a reference, but to get your hands dirty
    and get a good clear picture of the core day-to-day Rails life, get
    the SitePoint publishing book on Rails. It's quick, and clear and
    concise.
    Rails Solutions is another good one for the quick and dirty.

    Honestly, I haven't met a Ruby book I didn't like yet.
    John Joyce, Jan 7, 2008
  19. John Joyce wrote:
    > Honestly, I haven't met a Ruby book I didn't like yet.

    I have, but it was so bad I've forgotten which one it was. :)

    No, seriously, they're all mostly good and despite the large amount of
    overlap, there's room for a few more. But the Pickaxe is a must have for
    just about everyone, and I think AWDR and Ruby for Rails are both must
    haves for Rails developers.
    M. Edward (Ed) Borasky, Jan 7, 2008
  20. Victor Reyes wrote:

    > however, I am making use of *Teach Yourself* *Ruby in 21 Days. *This
    > book
    > gives you exercises at the end of each chapter.
    > I make extensive use of the forum by posting my questions and monitoring
    > others Q&A.

    Hi Victor,

    This is Regarding:- " Teach Yourself Ruby in 21 Days "

    I do not see this book now at any Book Store. Neither is the PDF version
    available.

    Do you have the pdf version or text version.

    Thanks
    Softmind Technology, Jan 7, 2008