best ruby web framework?

Mohammed Rashad

As my subject line says the question is about ruby web framework

Which is the best ruby web framework?
Is it good in performance and speed to use ruby without any framework
(running on Apache) ?

Young Wah

2010/9/15 Mohammed Rashad said:
As my subject line says the question is about ruby web framework

Which is the best ruby web framework?

The most popular is Rails certainly.
But I use Sinatra (a light framework) for the project.
Is it good in performance and speed to use ruby without any framework
(running on Apache) ?

Do you mean running ruby with CGI?
For performance CGI is not that good.

Regards.

Mohammed Rashad

The most popular is Rails certainly.
But I use Sinatra (a light framework) for the project.

which is the best in terms of performance and speed
Do you mean running ruby with CGI?
For performance CGI is not that good.

running Ruby script using apache like php.
putting the source in /var/www
and calling like http://localhost/test.rb

Steven Elliott Jr

I think your best bet us to go with rails 3 and ruby 1.9.2.

Sent from my iPhone

Brian Candler

Mohammed said:
As my subject line says the question is about ruby web framework

Which is the best ruby web framework?

The "best" framework depends on what your requirements are. If there
were one "best", the others would already have died :)
Is it good in performance and speed to use ruby without any framework
(running on Apache) ?

Yes.

Your best option is to use Apache with Phusion Passenger (mod_rails).
This lets you write applications using the Rack API directly.

Using the raw Rack API, you just implement one method ('call') which is
invoked for each incoming request, and you return an array containing
the status, headers and body. See:

http://www.modrails.com/documentati..._and_deploying_a_hello_world_rack_application

This is a good solution; mod_rails manages your processes, and can spawn
extra instances for load-sharing.

Your other main option is fastcgi, but this is falling out of use.

Note that "performance and speed" is rarely the number one goal of
application development - usually it's something like time to market,
which gives you a real business benefit. That's the main reason for
using a framework like Sinatra or Rails.

But both of these sit on top of Rack, so you can combine them with raw
Rack code for the one or two actions which demand the fastest possible
response rate.

So I'd suggest: write your application first, using whichever tool lets
you develop it quickest, and *then* profile it and optimise where
required.

B.

Phlip

running Ruby script using apache like php.
putting the source in /var/www
and calling likehttp://localhost/test.rb

and if you become popular, you will need to cache as much generated
HTML as possible, and serve as many files directly from the hard drive
as possible, so you will need all the caching, routing, and
redirecting systems that are built into real LAMP stacks, such as RoR

RoR also features an industry-leading community, documentation, free
and paid support, and thousands of plugins...

Brian Candler

Mohammed said:
running Ruby script using apache like php.
putting the source in /var/www
and calling like http://localhost/test.rb

mod_ruby does exist but please don't use it - very few people use it and
it hasn't been developed in about 2 years.

Either use Phusion Passenger, or use a Ruby webserver like mongrel, thin
or unicorn (which if you want to combine with Apache, you'd simply proxy
to it using mod_proxy)

Martin DeMello

As my subject line says the question is about ruby web framework

Which is the best ruby web framework?
Is it good in performance and speed to use ruby without any framework
(running on Apache) ?

If you're specifically interested in apache integration, someone
posted http://www.linterra.org/rsp/ recently. Not used it but it looks
interesting.

martin

Mike Owens

If you like Apache (and Debian/Ubuntu), you might like rsp. I have spent
years with Apache and love it. RSP is kind of a glorified Apache module for
Ruby with a small framework on top. It's pretty simple. But that's what I
like. You can use it in the context of a raw CGI (though it will run more
efficiently than CGI), embedded Ruby (like PHP), and within a simple MVC
context. The downside is that I have developed exclusively for
Debian/Ubuntu, which is what I use every day, so it's geared for that
environment. It will compile/run on other distros and BSD. But I've not had
the time to package it for them. And it's written for Ruby 1.9.x.
Everything's in the documentation. I've worked really hard on keeping it up
to date.