    (running on Apache) ?

    --
    Rashad

    Mohammed Rashad, Sep 15, 2010

  2. Mohammed Rashad

    Young Wah Guest

    2010/9/15 Mohammed Rashad <>:
    > As my subject line says the question is about ruby web framework
    >
    > Which is the best ruby web framework?

    The most popular is Rails certainly.
    But I use Sinatra (a light framework) for the project.

    > Is it good in performance and speed to use ruby without any framework
    > (running on Apache) ?

    Do you mean running ruby with CGI?
    For performance CGI is not that good.

    Regards.

    Young Wah, Sep 15, 2010

    On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 2:32 PM, Young Wah <> wrote:

    > 2010/9/15 Mohammed Rashad <>:
    > > As my subject line says the question is about ruby web framework
    > >
    > > Which is the best ruby web framework?

    > The most popular is Rails certainly.
    > But I use Sinatra (a light framework) for the project.

    which is the best in terms of performance and speed

    > > Is it good in performance and speed to use ruby without any framework
    > > (running on Apache) ?
    > >

    > Do you mean running ruby with CGI?
    > For performance CGI is not that good.

    running Ruby script using apache like php.
    putting the source in /var/www
    and calling like http://localhost/test.rb

    --
    Rashad

    Mohammed Rashad, Sep 15, 2010
  4. I think your best bet us to go with rails 3 and ruby 1.9.2.

    Sent from my iPhone

    Steven Elliott Jr, Sep 15, 2010
  5. Mohammed Rashad wrote:
    > As my subject line says the question is about ruby web framework
    >
    > Which is the best ruby web framework?

    The "best" framework depends on what your requirements are. If there
    were one "best", the others would already have died :)

    > Is it good in performance and speed to use ruby without any framework
    > (running on Apache) ?

    Yes.

    Your best option is to use Apache with Phusion Passenger (mod_rails).
    This lets you write applications using the Rack API directly.

    Using the raw Rack API, you just implement one method ('call') which is
    invoked for each incoming request, and you return an array containing
    the status, headers and body. See:

    http://www.modrails.com/documentati..._and_deploying_a_hello_world_rack_application

    This is a good solution; mod_rails manages your processes, and can spawn
    extra instances for load-sharing.

    Your other main option is fastcgi, but this is falling out of use.

    Note that "performance and speed" is rarely the number one goal of
    application development - usually it's something like time to market,
    which gives you a real business benefit. That's the main reason for
    using a framework like Sinatra or Rails.

    But both of these sit on top of Rack, so you can combine them with raw
    Rack code for the one or two actions which demand the fastest possible
    response rate.

    So I'd suggest: write your application first, using whichever tool lets
    you develop it quickest, and *then* profile it and optimise where
    required.

    B.

    Brian Candler, Sep 15, 2010
  6. Mohammed Rashad

    Phlip Guest

    > running Ruby script using apache like php.
    > putting the source in /var/www
    > and calling likehttp://localhost/test.rb

    and if you become popular, you will need to cache as much generated
    HTML as possible, and serve as many files directly from the hard drive
    as possible, so you will need all the caching, routing, and
    redirecting systems that are built into real LAMP stacks, such as RoR

    RoR also features an industry-leading community, documentation, free
    and paid support, and thousands of plugins...

    Phlip, Sep 15, 2010
  7. Mohammed Rashad wrote:
    > running Ruby script using apache like php.
    > putting the source in /var/www
    > and calling like http://localhost/test.rb

    mod_ruby does exist but please don't use it - very few people use it and
    it hasn't been developed in about 2 years.

    Either use Phusion Passenger, or use a Ruby webserver like mongrel, thin
    or unicorn (which if you want to combine with Apache, you'd simply proxy
    to it using mod_proxy)

    Brian Candler, Sep 15, 2010
  8. On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 1:12 PM, Mohammed Rashad
    <> wrote:
    > As my subject line says the question is about ruby web framework
    >
    > Which is the best ruby web framework?
    > Is it good in performance and speed to use ruby without any framework
    > (running on Apache) ?

    If you're specifically interested in apache integration, someone
    posted http://www.linterra.org/rsp/ recently. Not used it but it looks
    interesting.

    martin

    Martin DeMello, Sep 15, 2010
  9. Mohammed Rashad

    Mike Owens Guest

    If you like Apache (and Debian/Ubuntu), you might like rsp. I have spent
    years with Apache and love it. RSP is kind of a glorified Apache module for
    Ruby with a small framework on top. It's pretty simple. But that's what I
    like. You can use it in the context of a raw CGI (though it will run more
    efficiently than CGI), embedded Ruby (like PHP), and within a simple MVC
    context. The downside is that I have developed exclusively for
    Debian/Ubuntu, which is what I use every day, so it's geared for that
    environment. It will compile/run on other distros and BSD. But I've not had
    the time to package it for them. And it's written for Ruby 1.9.x.
    Everything's in the documentation. I've worked really hard on keeping it up
    to date.

    Mike Owens, Sep 15, 2010