    ross Guest

    I am looking for the best deal on a counter. I would like total hits plus
    unique hits. Any ideas appreciated, Dick Ross
    ross, Apr 17, 2006

  2. ross

    Nico Schuyt Guest

    Nico Schuyt, Apr 17, 2006

  3. ross

    Neredbojias Guest

    To further the education of mankind, "ross" <>
    vouchsafed:

    > I am looking for the best deal on a counter. I would like total hits
    > plus unique hits. Any ideas appreciated, Dick Ross

    I use statcounter at:

    http://www.statcounter.com/

    Free and good.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Infinity can have limits.
    Neredbojias, Apr 17, 2006
  4. ross

    Brian Cryer Guest

    "ross" <> wrote in message
    >I am looking for the best deal on a counter. I would like total hits plus
    >unique hits. Any ideas appreciated, Dick Ross

    Are you after a "counter" or a "tracker"? The distinction being that a
    counter gives a visible count on your web pages of either the total number
    of page loads for that page or for your site. A tracker doesn't (normally)
    give a page counter, but does allow you to track the number of visitors
    across your site. (And yes, the distinction between the two can become very
    blurred).

    Personally, I use HitTracker
    (http://world.icdirect.com/icdirect/hitTracker.asp), which probably does
    what you are after - it does require an image to appear on each page but
    doesn't give a visible counter.

    I've accumulated a list of counters:
    http://www.cryer.co.uk/resources/websitecounters.htm, and a list of
    trackers: http://www.cryer.co.uk/resources/websitetracking.htm, which might
    help.

    If you have access to your server logs then you don't need a
    counter/tracker, but software to analyse the logs. Nico's posting for
    awstats is one of the better ones I've seen, and is one I use for some of my
    sites.

    Hope this is useful.
    --
    Brian Cryer