    atte,
    Hernán Castelo
    SGA - UTN - FRBA

    Hernán Castelo, Nov 11, 2004

  2. Hernán Castelo

    Mark Schupp Guest

    "best" way will depend on your individual requirements. Here are a couple of
    ways in what I think is least to most secure.

    1. keep connection string in an include file or set into application
    variable in global.asa
    2. keep it in a text file that is not accessible through web, read it into
    an app var in global.asa.
    3. keep it in system registry, read in as needed or put in app var in
    global.asa
    4. embed it in an activex server-side component and call a method of that
    component to open connections.

    There are probably other variations as well.

    --
    Mark Schupp
    Head of Development

    Mark Schupp, Nov 11, 2004

  3. i'm using the first,
    any recommendation for these option ?

    the activex and registry approaches
    are more expensive, talking in resources... no?

    --
    atte,
    Hernán Castelo

    Hernán Castelo, Nov 11, 2004
  4. Hernán Castelo

    Bã§TãRÐ Guest

    The amout of overhead in dealing with connection strings is pretty low considering all of the other issues involved with
    storing stuff in memory say like dictionary objects or sessions. Really, the easiest thing to do, especially if you wont be maintaining the
    code or you are on a team is to throw it in the global.asa file. They only way to get access to that is if the machine is compromised
    in some way. Assuming that you know what you are doing and the server is patched and updated properly, the likelyhood that it will
    be an issue is very small.

    Bastard

    Bã§TãRÐ, Nov 12, 2004