Best way of inserting 700,000 records

Morten Snedker

From a CSV-fil +700,000 records are imported with a simple INSERT INTO.

The import is called by calling an ASPX-page.

I'm using the code below. I'm gathering updates 1000 at a time, and I
then execute the query. This to avoid 700,000 calls to the database.

However, I run into two type of errors:

1.
"There is insufficient system memory to run this query."
This seems fixable with http://support.microsoft.com/kb/912439.

2.
The webpage returns "The request timed out before the page could be
retrieved."

The scriptTimeout is set to one hour, but timeout occurs before this -
why, and how to handle?

Is there a better way of sending the updates to the SQL-server?

Server.ScriptTimeout = 3600
If CountItems = 1 Then SQL.Append("SET NOCOUNT OFF;")
SQL.AppendFormat("INSERT INTO Cust_GiftToken (GiftTokenID,
GiftTokenValidTo, GiftTokenAmount) VALUES ({0}, '{1}', {2});", id,
validTo.ToString("yyyy-MM-dd"), amount.ToString(enCultureInfo))
If CountItems = 1000 Then
command.CommandText = SQL.ToString
command.ExecuteNonQuery()
command.CommandText = String.Empty
CountItems = 0
SQL.Length = 0
End If
End If

Any help is greatly appreciated - thanks in advance!

/Morten

Dan Guzman

I agree with Matija that SqlBulkCopy is the right method from managed code.
However, I suggest you consider processing large files like this
asynchronously as a batch process.

--
Hope this helps.

Dan Guzman
SQL Server MVP
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/dang/

George

Mark Rae said:
Indeed.

But the OP's problem specifically related to timeouts, which is why I
didn't mention it.
http://www.google.co.uk/search?sour...4GPTB_en-GBGB298GB298&q="BULK+INSERT"+timeout

I could have mentioned it for completeness, I suppose...

The advantage of firing off a bcp process is that ASP.NET doesn't have to
wait for it to complete, if you set the correct StartInfo parameters...

You right, I did not think about timeouts. I have always used the BULK
INSERT from my external processing program. (I am using MSMQ for lengthy
operations)

George.

gerry

Hi George,

can you expand on "you can not import file that resides on external machine
other than SQL server" ?

just curious as we have been successfully using BULK INSERT from files that
exist on remote shares.

bruce barker

as suggested you should use the sqlbulkcopy to do the insert. you should also
create an import table to just hold the import data. then run a proc to move
the data from the import table to the live. sometimes its best to have an
actual import database, so you can have different database settings.

for just 700K rows and this simple a table, you should be able to get this
down to under 5 minutes.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

George

It's very possible that you successfully did it. But usually that only works
under a lot of special circumstances.
BULK INSERT command takes a file name and it runs under SQL account.
Hence the SQL account must be able to access that file. And that is where
problem usually is.

In common scenario, file is uploaded to IIS machine (via Web application)
into some folder and then SQL server must be able to take it from there.
That means the folder must be opened up for everybody (Since usually SQL
server runs under local account unknown to IIS machine)
Also the the file sharring protocol on IIS must be enabled.
Rare Admin will do that for you with machine that sits on Internet. Plus if
you do not have Firewall that sits between IIS machine and internet then
anyone could upload anything to that shared folder.
If you have Intranet then it might work and you could talk an admin into
that, but considering all that i prefer to use BCP then.
BCP grabs the file and BULK COPY it to SQL server using standard SQL
connection port. So less steps in setting up an application and mess it up
when upgrading server :)

George.

gerry

thanks

I think I was misinterpreting your use of "external" - I was just thinking
"other" as in not the sql server machine.

We do this over the local network with no inter/intra net involved.