Best way of using a dataset across pages

Sjaakie Helderhorst

Hi,
What's the best way of storing a dataset (+/-1000 rows, 9 columns)?
I'm using a session-variable but this seems to have serious impact on
performance.
It's a shop and I'm using the same dataset (added an 'amount' cell) to
generate a dataview for basket
Most users will use the shop to order at 5pm (about 800 users), so I want to
keep server-stress within acceptable parameters.

Any help or suggestion is appreciated.
Thanks!

Martin Dechev

Hi, Sjaakie Helderhorst,

First, if you will be keeping this information in the memory it will be the
same load if you keep it in the Session or in some other in-memory
object/collection because the information in terms of bytes is the same.

You can consider storing fewer details if the business logic allows it. i.e.
you can leave only the quantity and the id of each product. If it is
possible you will need 16 bytes for each record which makes
16*800(users)*1000(products) which is approximately 12 MB.

Greetings
Martin

Sjaakie Helderhorst

Hello Martin,

Thanks for responding.
12MB seems acceptable to me. I'll give it a try.
Caching dataset on server and just storing UIDs on client-side.

I'm new to ASP.NET (familiar with ASP) so I'm having difficulties achieving
things that weren't any problem with 'old' ASP.
Guess it's just a matter of practice :)

Thanks again.