    Should I use windows authentication and grant IIS_ANONYMOUS the right
    priviliges? and if so, what are those priviligies?

    Thanks!
    Guy Brom, Apr 14, 2004

  2. Guy Brom

    Ken Schaefer Guest

    Microsoft recommends using Integrated Windows Authentication unless you have
    a reason not to use this.

    For IIS and SQL Server on the same box, just grant the IUSR_<machinename>
    account logon rights, and appropriate accesses to the relevant databases
    (just like if you were creating an SQL Server account).

    For IIS and SQL Server on separate boxes, this won't work [1], because
    IUSR_<machinename> is an account local to the webserver, and can't be
    assigned permissions to remote resources. You'd need to use a domain account
    (or similar) as the anonymous user account.

    Cheers
    Ken

    [1] Unless IIS is running on a Domain Controller, in which case all accounts
    are domain accounts. But running IIS on a DC is generally not recommended.

    "Guy Brom" <> wrote in message
    : Hi there,
    :
    : I'm about to make a move from ODBC (dsn) connection to OLEDB native
    : Connection String.
    :
    : I was wondering what is the best way to achive this, on this 2 scenarios:
    :
    : 1) IIS and SQL reside on the same machine
    : 2) IIS and SQL are seperated
    :
    : Should I use mixed mode with a strong username/password?
    Ken Schaefer, Apr 15, 2004