Best way to debug XSL?

Matt

I want to know what's the best way to debug XSL? For example, I use XSL and XML for
HTML generation. Now, I am just using web browser, and see if it works, and always
it doesn't display anything. I really need a better way to debug and develop XSL.

any ideas? please advise. thanks!!

Joris Gillis

Now, I am just using web browser, and see if it works, and always
it doesn't display anything. I really need a better way to debug and
develop XSL.

Hi,

It's indeed difficult and time-consuming to solve XSL problems with just a
browser, especially if it doesn't display any debug information.

What you need is an XSLT engine like Xalan
(http://xml.apache.org/xalan-j/) or Altova
(http://www.altova.com/resources_xsltengine.html)
The engine will tell you all debugging information you'll need.
And you'll be able to view the generated html as text ; not only as being
displayed by a browser.

Reading through the XSLT specification won't do no harm either...

regards,

Arto Viitanen

Matt> I want to know what's the best way to debug XSL? For example, I use
Matt> XSL and XML for HTML generation. Now, I am just using web browser, and
Matt> see if it works, and always it doesn't display anything. I really need
Matt> a better way to debug and develop XSL.

I don't know about browsers, since I use commandline tools. But on those, I
have found <xsl:message> fine tool for debug.