best way to display photos

samwyse

I have several thousand photographs that I need to quickly classify,
all by myself. After extensive searches, I have been unable to find
anything to my liking, so desire to write something myself. I'm
thinking about displaying a photo and waiting for keystrokes to tag
it; 'i' for interior, 'e' for exterior, etc., while hitting space or
enter will advance to the next photo. My big question is, what's the
best way to display the photos. I've used PIL in the past, but IIRC
it uses an external program. Pygame is the next obvious choice, but
like PIL it requires an add-in. That leaves Tkinter. Has anyone used
it to display .JPG files, perhaps with rescaling to fit my screen?
How is its performance? Is there any other possibilities that I've
missed? Thanks.

Paul Rubin

samwyse said:
My big question is, what's the
best way to display the photos. I've used PIL in the past, but IIRC
it uses an external program. Pygame is the next obvious choice, but
like PIL it requires an add-in. That leaves Tkinter. Has anyone used
it to display .JPG files, perhaps with rescaling to fit my screen?

I've displayed images with tkinter -- I remember there is some kind of
trick you have to do to prevent them from being gc'd prematurely but
I've forgotten the specifics. However, for the kind of thing you're
doing, a one-off app that you don't have to impress anyone with by
making it slick, the simplest thing to do is just slam together an
HTML page and view it with a browser, with an entry field next to each
picture, and a "submit" button. Then run a near-trivial http server
that collects the form submissions and saves them to a file.

7

7stud

I've displayed images with tkinter -- I remember there is some kind of
trick you have to do to prevent them from being gc'd prematurely but
I've forgotten the specifics.

You store the images in a list or dictionary.

Thomas Guettler

Some years ago I had the same problem.

I wrote a simple app with pygtk. You get get it from here:
http://guettli.sourceforge.net/gthumpy/src/README.html
The next pictures get loaded in background. Switching from
one image to the next is faster then in some other apps. But
somehow it is not ready for the public. I guess I am the only
one who uses it.

Flags are symlinks in the home directory .local/share/app/gthumpy. This
means you should not move your images, otherwise the flags get lost.

I don't think it will work on ms-windows, but it could be ported.

Or you use mirage:
http://mirageiv.berlios.de/index.html

It is a pygtk image viewer. You can define shortcuts that execute user defined
commands.

Thomas

samwyse

Some years ago I had the same problem.

I wrote a simple app with pygtk. You get get it from here:
   http://guettli.sourceforge.net/gthumpy/src/README.html
The next pictures get loaded in background. Switching from
one image to the next is faster then in some other apps. But
somehow it is not ready for the public. I guess I am the only
one who uses it.

Flags are symlinks in the home directory .local/share/app/gthumpy. This
means you should not move your images, otherwise the flags get lost.

I don't think it will work on ms-windows, but it could be ported.

Or you use mirage:http://mirageiv.berlios.de/index.html

It is a pygtk image viewer. You can define shortcuts that execute user defined
commands.

  Thomas

Thanks! Both of these look very similar to what I need. I will
investigate further.